Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 20, 2024, 3:47 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why won't God heal amputees?
RE: Why won't God heal amputees?
Soul forge.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(June 7, 2020 at 4:25 pm)Grandizer Wrote:
(June 7, 2020 at 6:08 am)brokenreflector Wrote: This question makes sense only if you presuppose that the point of life is to be happy.

Do you believe God physically heals occasionally?

If the contents of the Bible is true, then He has.

Outside of that, I do believe God has healed and continues to heal certain people.

But my main point is that you're fooling yourself if you think God created this world and gave us life for the purpose of being happy or physically healthy. No where in the Bible does it say that. Rather, our purpose is to be a reflection and worshiper of God--which leads to complete fulfillment. Life is a pilgrimage that is designed in such a way to maximize our chances of entering into a saving relationship with God and becoming a proper image bearer of His.

The people who do not learn and who do not turn to God are doomed to chasing after drugs, sex, money, health, status, accomplishments and other things in an effort to fill a void that God is meant to fill--then they die.
Life is a joke, and death is the punchline.
(June 7, 2020 at 11:24 am)Jehanne Wrote:
(June 7, 2020 at 8:53 am)brokenreflector Wrote: But if you're interested in your true purpose, then you must turn to God.

Which one?

There is only one.

Odin AllFather.
Dying to live, living to die.
Quote:The people who do not learn and who do not turn to God are doomed to chasing after drugs, sex, money, health, status, accomplishments and other things in an effort to fill a void that God is meant to fill--then they die.

Well, I’ve never turned to God, so let’s run down your list.

Drugs: Apart from alcohol, I’ve never been into drugs. I gave up drinking years ago, but God wasn’t involved.

Sex: Guilty. But I hardly see chasing after sex as a bad thing. Sex is fun, it’s good cardio, and it brings people together (in more ways than just the physical). But don’t you find it a bit puzzling that God would give us not only the equipment for sex but also the drive to have sex if he didn’t want us to have sex?

Money: I’ve got a fair bit of money laid by, but I don’t think I ever ‘chased after’ it. I’ve never wanted money for its own sake or for just things. I’ve been very fortunate.

Health: Guilty again. I tend to look after myself, not to fill some sort of void, but because being healthy feels better than being unhealthy.

Accomplishments: You’ll need to be more specific here.

So, other than religious trappings being more or less forced on me when I was very young, I’ve never had God in my life and have never felt the lack. What else ya got?

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(June 10, 2020 at 6:43 am)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: Well, I’ve never turned to God, so let’s run down your list.

Drugs: Apart from alcohol, I’ve never been into drugs. I gave up drinking years ago, but God wasn’t involved.

Sex: Guilty. But I hardly see chasing after sex as a bad thing. Sex is fun, it’s good cardio, and it brings people together (in more ways than just the physical). But don’t you find it a bit puzzling that God would give us not only the equipment for sex but also the drive to have sex if he didn’t want us to have sex?

Money: I’ve got a fair bit of money laid by, but I don’t think I ever ‘chased after’ it. I’ve never wanted money for its own sake or for just things. I’ve been very fortunate.

Health: Guilty again. I tend to look after myself, not to fill some sort of void, but because being healthy feels better than being unhealthy.

So, other than religious trappings being more or less forced on me when I was very young, I’ve never had God in my life and have never felt the lack. What else ya got?

When you don't have God at the center of your life, then money, sex, status, etc., become your gods.

There's no doubt in my mind that there are people whose hearts have been so hardened that they do not feel any pull from God and are left with entertaining themselves until they die. You seem to be one of these people.

People who do not feel any pull from God or who have suppressed God's prompting to such a degree that they no longer feel it are guilty of blaspheming the Holy Spirit, which is the unforgivable sin.
These illogical theistic arguments never change or improve. Boring.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
(June 10, 2020 at 6:58 am)brokenreflector Wrote:
(June 10, 2020 at 6:43 am)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: Well, I’ve never turned to God, so let’s run down your list.

When you don't have God at the center of your life, then money, sex, status, etc., become your gods.

There's no doubt in my mind that there are people whose hearts have been so hardened that they do not feel any pull from God and are left with entertaining themselves until they die. You seem to be one of these people.

People who do not feel any pull from God or who have suppressed God's prompting to such a degree that they no longer feel it are guilty of blaspheming the Holy Spirit, which is the unforgivable sin.

That may be the case. It may also be the case that rejecting the whole idea that there is a God who demands that we worship him is the ultimate destiny of the human species and the surest path to happiness.

It’s a very petty God who wants us to spend more time on him than on each other.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(June 10, 2020 at 7:24 am)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: That may be the case. It may also be the case that rejecting the whole idea that there is a God who demands that we worship him is the ultimate destiny of the human species and the surest path to happiness.

Happiness is vaporous and fleeting. It's something that a child will chase after.

Quote:It’s a very petty God who wants us to spend more time on him than on each other.

I think I'm going to go with the commands and advice of the being who actually created me and who is omniscient over whatever you're selling.
(June 10, 2020 at 7:36 am)brokenreflector Wrote: Happiness is vaporous and fleeting.

Happiness born from belief in god is vaporous and fleeting. Remember, you heard it from the theist first.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me? vorlon13 92 9269 July 23, 2018 at 8:20 am
Last Post: SteveII
  Won't this upset the assholes? Minimalist 9 1182 July 22, 2018 at 1:17 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Why, God? Why?! LadyForCamus 233 30927 June 5, 2018 at 12:57 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  God won't save you because of gay people. Foxaèr 16 3790 December 22, 2014 at 12:08 pm
Last Post: Faith No More
  If jesus knows where the missing Malaysian airplane is, why won't he tell someone? Brakeman 45 6770 March 21, 2014 at 10:08 pm
Last Post: Hezekiah
  God is god, and we are not god StoryBook 43 12710 January 6, 2014 at 5:47 pm
Last Post: StoryBook
  Free Will vs Divine Won't - How God Favours Evil Cyberman 22 11876 April 1, 2012 at 11:35 am
Last Post: C Rod
  God get's angry, Moses changes God's plans of wrath, God regrets "evil" he planned Mystic 9 6748 February 16, 2012 at 8:17 am
Last Post: Strongbad
  American Military proves scientifically that prayer does not heal people. reverendjeremiah 8 4686 December 22, 2011 at 5:19 pm
Last Post: TheDarkestOfAngels