Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 16, 2024, 5:54 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Question about "faith"
RE: Question about "faith"
Trust is trust in everyday matters, as it is in spiritual matters, as it is in imaginary matters, or any other context. This isn't complicated.
I don't do to my wife what you do to your christ. I would assume the reverse is also true, lol. You're right..it's not complicated, and a clear and accurate understanding of the difference between terms doesn't jeopardize your faith in any way.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
The REASON I think faith isn't sensible is on the same tier as you seem to hold (although I think I have a different perspective, IDK for sure), which is the complete inability to apply any test for faith.

Analogically, it's a pointless and frustrating attempt to trying to use a screwdriver to screw in a nail, while being either unaware or ignoring hammers.
"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself — and you are the easiest person to fool." - Richard P. Feynman
(September 17, 2020 at 1:35 pm)John 6IX Breezy Wrote: Trust is trust in everyday matters, as it is in spiritual matters, as it is in imaginary matters, or any other context. This isn't complicated.
Do tell. Exactly how many wives/husbands have had faith in their partner only to be devastated when that faith turns out to be ill founded?
(September 17, 2020 at 1:50 pm)Sal Wrote: The REASON I think faith isn't sensible is on the same tier as you seem to hold (although I think I have a different perspective, IDK for sure), which is the complete inability to apply any test for faith.

I agree and disagree.

I agree because trust by it's very nature rests upon varying degrees of uncertainty. For trust to occur there must be something that's unknown to you but known to someone else, etc. There may be no direct test for faith/trust, but faith/trust should always be built on some reason or merit. Christians often distinguish faith from presumption. Faith is virtuous, presumption is not.

But I disagree that faith can't be tested, in the sense that faith/trust are often about something that can eventually be known. If your friend says to wait outside the mall and he'll pick you up at 6pm. You are exhibiting faith/trust by waiting outside. There is no test to know whether your faith will payoff, only the merit of your friend's word. That being said, the clock will eventually hit 6pm, and you'll know whether or not faith paid off.

To use a biblical analogy consider: "By faith Noah, when warned about things not yet seen, in holy fear built an ark to save his family." (Hebrews 11:7)

1. Note that in this story God spoke to Noah directly about the flood. This shows that faith has nothing to do with believing God exists. God is real in the story. Noah has a conversation with him.

2. Noah exercises faith by trusting the reliability of God's warning and building the ark. This is the uncertainty factor that defines trust. He built the ark before any sign of rain, as he must, if you wait till the flood comes to build the ark you're dead.

3. Notice that eventually it either rains or it doesn't. Faith is not indefinite and open-ended. It culminates in some conclusion that tells you whether or not your faith was accurate. You get your test results.
Sounds like a blind and obedient faith to me. As you said, never seen a drop of rain. If my wife demanded that I build a big boat because the world was going to be flooded, I trust my wife, but I wouldn't breakout the strongback and steamer.

How about you? Is that what you would do, if your wife who you also trust, started babbling about a flood?
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
I would trust a surgeon with a surgery, a dentist with a cavity, and God about a supernatural flood.

I wouldnt trust a surgeon with my haircut, a dentist flying my plane, or my wife about a supernatural flood.

But if a surgeon showed me his cosmetology degree, a dentist showed me his pilot license, and my wife turned a rod into a serpent like Moses. I would be more inclined to trust them in those areas.

That is the nature of faith/trust. It is based on the merit of the proposer.
(September 17, 2020 at 5:41 pm)John 6IX Breezy Wrote: But if a surgeon showed me his cosmetology degree, a dentist showed me his pilot license, and my wife turned a rod into a serpent like Moses. I would be more inclined to trust them in those areas.

That is the nature of faith/trust. It is based on the merit of the proposer.

Dude, just the opposite. You just said that you would trust someone to fly you if they had a pilot license - which is evidence that they can operate an aircraft - and therefore you have a trust in that person - because of evidence.

Now, when someone believes that Dalai Lama reincarnates or that Joseph Smith is the last prophet they do it without any evidence and that's called faith.

If there was any evidence that Dalai Lama reincarnates or that Joseph Smith is the last prophet then people would not need faith in these stuff.
teachings of the Bible are so muddled and self-contradictory that it was possible for Christians to happily burn heretics alive for five long centuries. It was even possible for the most venerated patriarchs of the Church, like St. Augustine and St. Thomas Aquinas, to conclude that heretics should be tortured (Augustine) or killed outright (Aquinas). Martin Luther and John Calvin advocated the wholesale murder of heretics, apostates, Jews, and witches. - Sam Harris, "Letter To A Christian Nation"
That's called faith by who? Can you find me a quote, not a personal anecdote, so we can be on the same page?

As far as the Bible goes, almost every story where God sends someone to speak to others, there is some supernatural sign given as evidence. Moses turns a rod into a serpent, Elijah rains fire from heaven, Jesus does countless miracles. You have to know God is real before you have faith in him.
Pretty sure you have that backwards.
"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself — and you are the easiest person to fool." - Richard P. Feynman

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Good Faith Media: Global Christian Population to reach 3.3 BN by 2050. Nishant Xavier 270 13413 September 30, 2023 at 10:49 am
Last Post: LinuxGal
  why do people still have faith in god even after seeing their land turned into dust? zempo 8 1487 June 20, 2021 at 8:16 am
Last Post: onlinebiker
  Local woman says only way she has survived during COVID is faith Tomatoshadow2 41 2964 December 21, 2020 at 4:56 pm
Last Post: HappySkeptic
  Why Science and religious faith are in conflict. Jehanne 28 7893 May 1, 2017 at 6:24 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  My atheism religious faith is being shaken... Won2blv 37 8881 November 14, 2016 at 4:39 pm
Last Post: Mr Greene
  Thoughts On Atheism and Faith ray3400 107 12903 October 12, 2016 at 4:35 pm
Last Post: henryp
  Atheism "now world's third biggest 'faith'" madog 23 4768 July 30, 2016 at 6:38 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla
  Something to shake the very foundation of your lack of faith yukapuka 306 38880 January 18, 2016 at 9:04 am
Last Post: account_inactive
  I have an active faith houseofcantor 20 6001 October 12, 2015 at 8:12 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Jerry Coyne's new book: Faith Versus Fact Mudhammam 17 6000 August 13, 2015 at 12:22 am
Last Post: smsavage32