Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 8, 2024, 4:43 am

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
I have some questions for the posters here.
RE: I have some questions for the posters here.
You guys might as well get as many insults in as possible as quickly as possible. Arewethereyet has already issued a warning to me...and my guess is that I will be given the boot in short order.

She has already said that she wanted to ban me for a long time...even though I have only been here four days.

It has been good talking with all of youse (I'm from New Jersey). Sorry it got so acrimonious so quickly, but the agnostic position gets the heave-ho quickly in these atheist forums. 

Until that happens, though...we can still do all the talking we can.
(June 24, 2021 at 1:45 pm)Frank Apisa Wrote: I you went into a religious forum and had a problem with everyone else...would the odds be that they are not the problem?

Yes. Oddly enough I don't tend to have that difficulty.

Quote:My take is different from most atheistic thinking. 

There is no "atheistic thinking". There's just the strawman that you've invented so that you can tell people that what you think they think is wrong.

Quote:Most atheists seem to think that either there are no gods...or it is more likely that there are no gods than that there is at least one.

I think that is illogical. 

That's a fascinating belief, and no, inserting the word "think" into it doesn't make it any more baseless or incorrect.

Quote:That causes some friction. I think the friction is NOT my fault

Funny how telling people what they think and why what you think is better causes friction. And that couldn't possibly be your fault.

Quote:I have no problem with those kinds of guesses being made, but that is all they are...guesses.

Like your "guesses" that your guesses are better than everybody else?

Quote:I have no idea of how you came to your gullibility. 

So you believe that I'm gullible. Because I don't agree with you...? Please continue. This is getting funny.

Quote:And what I think is not a "belief." It IS what I think.

Putting the word "think" in the sentence doesn't demonstrate any thought. It just shows that you're good with semantic games.

Quote:I am not hurling insults.

You have a very selective memory. Or you don't understand that you're insulting. Are you on the spectrum?

Quote:And I am attempting to have meaningful conversations.

By calling people gullible and insulting their screen names? Does that seem like a good strategy to you?

Quote:I do not tell people what they think or believe.

"Most atheists seem to think that either there are no gods...or it is more likely that there are no gods than that there is at least one."

That is you telling us what you think most of us think.

Quote:So you want to tell me what to write and how to write it?

No, I'm just trying to show you that it can be done without starting a fight.

I have a wager for you Frank. Send me a PM with a link to any religious site that you belong to. I bet that I, a died in the wool atheist, will have less difficulty interacting with them than you will in spite of my greater difference in world view. This should help you figure out where the problem lies.
(June 24, 2021 at 4:27 pm)vulcanlogician Wrote:
(June 24, 2021 at 4:20 pm)Frank Apisa Wrote: There is no confusion.

I am not an atheist.

Whatever. This is dumb.

There is a real discussion to be had. Do you want to have that discussion or not? A real criticism to be leveled at the position: "I deny the existence of god(s)." Do you want to make that criticism or not?

In effect, I already have.

You can deny anything you want. Can you show a logical, reasonable basis for the denial?

If you are saying, "I deny the existence of gods" the onus of proof falls on you.
(June 24, 2021 at 4:28 pm)Frank Apisa Wrote: You guys might as well get as many insults in as possible as quickly as possible. Arewethereyet has already issued a warning to me...and my guess is that I will be given the boot in short order.

She has already said that she wanted to ban me for a long time...even though I have only been here four days.

It has been good talking with all of youse (I'm from New Jersey). Sorry it got so acrimonious so quickly, but the agnostic position gets the heave-ho quickly in these atheist forums. 

Poor Snookums...are you scared?

“If you are the smartest person in the room, then you are in the wrong room.” — Confucius

(June 24, 2021 at 4:28 pm)Frank Apisa Wrote: You guys might as well get as many insults in as possible as quickly as possible. Arewethereyet has already issued a warning to me...and my guess is that I will be given the boot in short order.

Hard for poor ham sandwiches like us to catch on break on internet message boards.  Though, to be fair, none of the other soft ham sandwiches seem to be having the difficulty you are.

Meanwhile, you've already been shown at least one logical reasonable basis for the denial of existent gods. I gather you disagree, but your disagreement doesn't render a thing illogical or unreasonable, see; ham sandwiches.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(June 24, 2021 at 4:17 pm)Frank Apisa Wrote: I AM NOT AN ATHEIST.

Yes, you are. Trust me, if there was any way we could disqualify you we'd have done it already.
(June 24, 2021 at 4:31 pm)Paleophyte Wrote:
(June 24, 2021 at 1:45 pm)Frank Apisa Wrote: I you went into a religious forum and had a problem with everyone else...would the odds be that they are not the problem?

Yes. Oddly enough I don't tend to have that difficulty.

Quote:My take is different from most atheistic thinking. 

There is no "atheistic thinking". There's just the strawman that you've invented so that you can tell people that what you think they think is wrong.

Quote:Most atheists seem to think that either there are no gods...or it is more likely that there are no gods than that there is at least one.

I think that is illogical. 

That's a fascinating belief, and no, inserting the word "think" into it doesn't make it any more baseless or incorrect.

Quote:That causes some friction. I think the friction is NOT my fault

Funny how telling people what they think and why what you think is better causes friction. And that couldn't possibly be your fault.

Quote:I have no problem with those kinds of guesses being made, but that is all they are...guesses.

Like your "guesses" that your guesses are better than everybody else?

Quote:I have no idea of how you came to your gullibility. 

So you believe that I'm gullible. Because I don't agree with you...? Please continue. This is getting funny.

Quote:And what I think is not a "belief." It IS what I think.

Putting the word "think" in the sentence doesn't demonstrate any thought. It just shows that you're good with semantic games.

Quote:I am not hurling insults.

You have a very selective memory. Or you don't understand that you're insulting. Are you on the spectrum?

Quote:And I am attempting to have meaningful conversations.

By calling people gullible and insulting their screen names? Does that seem like a good strategy to you?

Quote:I do not tell people what they think or believe.

"Most atheists seem to think that either there are no gods...or it is more likely that there are no gods than that there is at least one."

That is you telling us what you think most of us think.

Quote:So you want to tell me what to write and how to write it?

No, I'm just trying to show you that it can be done without starting a fight.

I have a wager for you Frank. Send me a PM with a link to any religious site that you belong to. I bet that I, a died in the wool atheist, will have less difficulty interacting with them than you will in spite of my greater difference in world view. This should help you figure out where the problem lies.

Problem?

Here is my take:

I do not know if any "gods"** exist or not;
I see no reason to suspect gods CANNOT EXIST...that the existence of gods is impossible;
I see no reason to suspect that gods MUST EXIST...that gods are needed to explain existence;
I do not see enough unambiguous evidence upon which to base a meaningful guess in either direction...

...so I don't.

**When I use the word "god" I mean "The entity (or entities) responsible for the creation of what we humans call 'the physical universe'...IF THERE IS SUCH AN ENTITY."

I have no problem.
Fine then. Say something substantive about gnostic atheism and let's talk..
(June 24, 2021 at 4:34 pm)vulcanlogician Wrote: Fine then. Say something substantive about gnostic atheism and let's talk..

Fuck gnostic atheism.

So?

(June 24, 2021 at 4:33 pm)Paleophyte Wrote:
(June 24, 2021 at 4:17 pm)Frank Apisa Wrote: I AM NOT AN ATHEIST.

Yes, you are. Trust me, if there was any way we could disqualify you we'd have done it already.

I am not an atheist. I understand how much you guys would like to have me as one of you, but...can't happen. I'm not that gullible...and I can't fake it. 

My guess is that I am going to get the boot soon, so you will have to find your fun somewhere else.

Happens a lot does it?

Quote:It has been good talking with all of youse (I'm from New Jersey). Sorry it got so acrimonious so quickly, but the agnostic position gets the heave-ho quickly in these atheist forums. 

You can stop playing the martyr card. Drich hasn't managed to get himself banned so if the big mean atheist mods give you the boot it was your doing.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Some questions about heaven and hell (for any believer) Dystopia 26 6132 June 17, 2015 at 4:15 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Can we have some more of this shit? Jackalope 22 3078 July 29, 2014 at 11:56 pm
Last Post: Zidneya
  Need some help here! TheGamingAtheist 15 2842 July 15, 2014 at 10:32 pm
Last Post: Zidneya
  Some questions that need to be answered therationalist 19 4826 April 8, 2014 at 9:21 am
Last Post: RobbyPants
  I have a few questions to atheists, before I become one. IntelligentPlanet 66 11917 March 18, 2014 at 1:11 pm
Last Post: Cyberman
  Thank you all. I have lost so much. I have gained much more. Mr. Moncrieff 30 7186 March 6, 2014 at 12:42 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Theists, some questions TheBeardedDude 128 35703 January 31, 2014 at 12:39 am
Last Post: Tripwire
  some questions gufis253 31 10173 November 30, 2012 at 6:29 pm
Last Post: genkaus
  Does anyone here have any references orogenicman 19 5034 August 17, 2011 at 10:44 pm
Last Post: theVOID