Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 30, 2024, 8:35 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The right way to be and the wrong way to be
RE: The right way to be and the wrong way to be
Hivemind?

So everyone else thinks the same - only YOU are special????

Want to take odds on that being reality?
(April 28, 2022 at 11:36 am)tackattack Wrote: @Belacqua I tend to disagree. I don't think it is necessarily good to not be vulgar and rude. I think it's a common part of any social contract but I can't say that it's necessarily good or bad. I think it is just how some people have normalized, and it's an indicator, but I wouldn't say good/bad. Unlike "the world" or the "whole internet" this is a community. I have specific entry criteria and rules that are clearly layed out. We are very seldom allowed that same comfort in the real world. If a bully approaches you on the street, there's little you've done that could have prevented that. There are tons of rape victims and social injustice victims that deal daily with unwritten and immoral perceived rules and attitudes, that are followed by immoral actions. Unlike the real world, we have the ability to filter who is allowed into this conversation, so the bully isn't even on the street. In fact the power was given down to the individual to mute people. This was never a completely free space for all and I don't think anyone here is under the impression that it ever was.

Yes, I think your description here is exactly right.

This is a community with set criteria, some of them written and some of them tacit. It is a community which has normalized and justified vulgarity, rudeness, and insults. Typing posts with the intention of making someone else feel bad is standard procedure.

I'm not saying this should change. This is the forum that people made, and this is the way they want it to be. I'm descriptive, not normative. (What I want for myself may be different, but that's not about the forum.)

(I'm still not entirely clear on why people do these things. It's clear that insulting people doesn't change their behavior or punish them in any effective way. It looks as though the rudeness is done for the benefit of the person being rude. There is either some sadistic pleasure in attempting to make someone feel bad or, as I noted yesterday, a performative pleasure in demonstrating that the insulter is tough or powerful somehow. But I don't really understand this.)

This is a safe space for people to pass judgment on others and then, once the individual has been deemed unworthy, vulgar personal insults are judged to be good and appropriate. And not only individuals --- that worldwide phenomenon without clear definition called "religion" is also judged worthy of any sort of insult, even if the insult is not factually true.

This forum deals with bullies by encouraging them. The rule is simply that the bully must aim at the right target.
I don't even know what's going on in this thread anymore.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
(April 28, 2022 at 8:26 pm)Foxaire Wrote: I don't even know what's going on in this thread anymore.

It's a lesson on how to be perfect with a heaping helping of being superior for good measure.

Nothing to see here.

“If you are the smartest person in the room, then you are in the wrong room.” — Confucius

This latest post from arewethereyet suggests another reason for insulting people, which should have occurred to me before.

By insulting me to Foxaire, the two of them achieve a small handshake of fellowship, and strengthen the in-group status. A lot of in-group solidarity is no doubt maintained by expressing mutual dislike of the same offenders.

I wonder if this is especially true of groups which define themselves solely by a mutual lack of something (e.g. a lack of belief in God.) In-groups with a positive essential similarity holding them together might not need to bond over mutual insult quite so much.
(April 28, 2022 at 11:58 pm)Belacqua Wrote: This latest post from arewethereyet suggests another reason for insulting people, which should have occurred to me before.

By insulting me to Foxaire, the two of them achieve a small handshake of fellowship, and strengthen the in-group status. A lot of in-group solidarity is no doubt maintained by expressing mutual dislike of the same offenders.

I wonder if this is especially true of groups which define themselves solely by a mutual lack of something (e.g. a lack of belief in God.) In-groups with a positive essential similarity holding them together might not need to bond over mutual insult quite so much.
Interesting that you saw yourself in the post I made.  The post that did not name you or was a reply to you.

“If you are the smartest person in the room, then you are in the wrong room.” — Confucius

The chief trouble I see with insults is that they’re generally not very good. The insult, whether veiled or direct, was once something of an art form, but it has fallen from that high state to one of simple vulgarity.

We’ve reached ‘You’re an arsehole’ when we were once at ‘Your mother should have thrown you away and kept the stork.’ Kind of sad, really.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
I don't think I'm going to look to a smugly superior art expert to tell me about human psychology. The drive to condescend is probably just as ugly as that to insult. It appears to be a form of passive-aggressiveness.
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  I went to the wrong kind of school. onlinebiker 5 448 April 20, 2022 at 3:26 pm
Last Post: brewer
  A DNR that went wrong. Jehanne 12 807 March 31, 2021 at 3:58 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  Nutella is for fat people and kids, right? Foxaèr 12 995 November 6, 2020 at 7:17 pm
Last Post: Deesse23
  was it my big boobs or just the wrong stool funcouple 8 963 August 30, 2019 at 11:07 am
Last Post: Nay_Sayer
  Born in the wrong country Alexmahone 3 901 April 20, 2018 at 5:35 pm
Last Post: Enlightened Ape
  What's Wrong Amarok 32 4344 January 14, 2017 at 2:28 am
Last Post: Amarok
  I was wrong rado84 30 2986 July 22, 2016 at 5:03 am
Last Post: rado84
  It should never be considered wrong Foxaèr 35 3067 July 8, 2016 at 6:09 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  I was wrong about everything. Foxaèr 15 1881 April 2, 2016 at 4:38 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  Is it wrong? Foxaèr 70 7178 January 12, 2016 at 2:00 pm