Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 3:13 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why did god create evil?
RE: Why did god create evil?
(November 5, 2011 at 7:16 pm)Rhythm Wrote: As opposed to the incorrect good? And yeah, I know the first thing I do when I want a peanut butter and jelly sandwich is spread brown mustard on the bread. Makes sense for god to do the same. Facepalm

Same tired BS as always.

I am talking about good and evil
Quote:You mean that god created evil but doesn't like evil? I guess that makes sense.

Not very "godly" of him, is it?
(November 5, 2011 at 8:42 pm)Minimalist Wrote:
Quote:You mean that god created evil but doesn't like evil? I guess that makes sense.

Not very "godly" of him, is it?

I wasn't being sarcastic.
(November 5, 2011 at 5:12 pm)moslim Wrote: God created evil for the existence good
There are other reasons

So, the almighty, all powerful being was incapable of creating good without evil?

I gotta start makin' me a list of the things this dude can't do!

1. Can't create good without an evil byproduct
  2. Can't be in the presence of sin
  3. Can't write an unambiguous book
You make people miserable and there's nothing they can do about it, just like god.
-- Homer Simpson

God has no place within these walls, just as facts have no place within organized religion.
-- Superintendent Chalmers

Science is like a blabbermouth who ruins a movie by telling you how it ends. There are some things we don't want to know. Important things.
-- Ned Flanders

Once something's been approved by the government, it's no longer immoral.
-- The Rev Lovejoy
Good and evil are more than likely just smokescreen words for whatever sort of ad hoc rationalization you've constructed as an anvil to beat your fairy tale into something that doesn't sound completely fucking stupid. Good luck with that.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(November 4, 2011 at 8:14 pm)Darwinian Wrote: What about all the millions of people who died in other continents such as the Americas or Australia who could not have possibly known about his coming?

What about them? Grace is not given to everyone, that’s why it’s grace.

(November 5, 2011 at 12:30 am)I_Blaspheme Wrote: Speaking of the Americas and Australia, how the heck did all of those people get there in the first place (according to young earthers, that is)?

…land and ice bridges during the ice age.

(November 5, 2011 at 5:19 pm)Minimalist Wrote: Logical reasoning needs to begin from a correct premise.

You have nothing but fables and fairy tales. Your logic always breaks down before Step #1.

If logical reasoning begins at a correct premise (as you assert and not at an axiom like Logicians actually teach) then how do you know that beginning premise is correct?
So those people were damned from the start simply for being born in a different place? And Christians wonder why people think they're elitist...
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
Quote:If logical reasoning begins at a correct premise (as you assert and not at an axiom like Logicians actually teach) then how do you know that beginning premise is correct?

An axiom is a logical statement that is assumed to be true. I do not grant that status to your assumptions about an invisible sky-daddy.

I want to see tangible evidence not mental masturbation performed by believers in nonsense.

Quote:I wasn't being sarcastic.

I frequently am.

(November 7, 2011 at 8:04 pm)Faith No More Wrote: So those people were damned from the start simply for being born in a different place? And Christians wonder why people think they're elitist...

When the Governor of a state pardons someone is he therefore obligated to pardon everyone? Of course not, a pardon is a form of grace (unmerited favor). Grace obligated is no longer grace.

(November 7, 2011 at 8:16 pm)Minimalist Wrote: An axiom is a logical statement that is assumed to be true. I do not grant that status to your assumptions about an invisible sky-daddy.

So logical axioms are deemed true or false by what you grant? You crack me up. I like how you changed it from a “correct premise” to an axiom “a premise that is assumed to be true”.

Quote: I want to see tangible evidence not mental masturbation performed by believers in nonsense.

So you only accept tangible evidence for truth claims? Do you have any tangible evidence to support the truth claim that all truth claims require tangible evidence? I smell self refutation in 3…..2……1…….
So you are comparing people born in the Americas and Australia to that of criminals undeserving of your God's love even though they had never heard Jesus?
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Evil God and anti-theodicy FrustratedFool 32 2377 August 21, 2023 at 9:28 am
Last Post: FrustratedFool
  Did Jesus want to create a poli-theism religion? Eclectic 83 6248 December 18, 2022 at 7:54 am
Last Post: LinuxGal
  Why did God give commandments to Jews? Fake Messiah 12 875 August 11, 2022 at 10:10 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Do people make evil? Interaktive 7 715 August 8, 2022 at 2:11 pm
Last Post: onlinebiker
  Why did God get rid of the Trilobites? Jehanne 41 2933 October 24, 2021 at 11:37 pm
Last Post: Ferrocyanide
  Why did God allow his words to be changed? Fake Messiah 53 4096 October 23, 2021 at 11:55 am
Last Post: Jehanne
  Atheism, Gnosticism & the Problem of Evil Seax 86 6002 April 7, 2021 at 9:25 pm
Last Post: Foxaèr
  [Serious] Good vs Evil Losty 84 10287 March 8, 2021 at 4:33 am
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Why did my mom tell me that feelings are enough to have religion? Der/die AtheistIn 11 1354 April 2, 2019 at 7:10 pm
Last Post: Yonadav
  Bishop setting up group to fight off 'evil forces' and recite prayers of exorcism Marozz 14 2584 October 11, 2018 at 5:19 am
Last Post: OakTree500