Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 15, 2024, 4:31 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A few points of conflict with Jackie L's (Eilonnwy) article.
RE: A few points of conflict with Jackie L's (Eilonnwy) article.
(October 26, 2010 at 6:30 pm)theVOID Wrote: (Historically, )in western culture, the vast majority of so called 'privileged white males' (have been and) still are Christian
That's certainly not the opinion of the mainstream church - far from it. Christians are active and manage to influence decisions, yes. And pre modern Christianity isn't what I recognise as Christian (as in following the teachings of Christ) at all.

(October 26, 2010 at 6:30 pm)theVOID Wrote: yet this has clearly not impacted the eventual adoption of Christianity amongst non-(white males). So to say that if Privileged person holds position X then the unprivileged person is less likely to adopt position X is fallacious.
Did you word that wrong??

(October 26, 2010 at 6:30 pm)theVOID Wrote: This was the whole point of her argument, white men are inhibiting the prominence of atheism. It's false, even the ones who are in fact assholes, like PZ Myers, are still contributing to the overall growth of atheism despite their tone or 'abuse of privilege'.
Yes I think atheism/ any world view becomes dominant more through popularity than reason.

(October 26, 2010 at 7:14 pm)Live_free Wrote: Just gonna say one thing then I will go back to laughing my ass off.

I have never witnessed this many stupid and fallacious bullshit posts on a forum other then christianforums. The sheer number of overzealous and ignorant/arrogant posts by namely frodo is utterly disturbing.

What is funny is that now he will never understand the real issue at hand, because he has so much emotionally invested in this argument that he won't just give it up. He would look like an utter fool, more so then he already does.*

Now I can properly equate Ely as a theist thinker and frodo as someone who has been mentally stifled, brain damage.

*Note: This is an emotional reason people cling to religion as well. I'm seeing a correlation in frodos case.

^^ This post deserves a flashing border. Just wow! For a moment I thought I was at atheistforums.com

Messages In This Thread
RE: A few points of conflict with Jackie L's (Eilonnwy) article. - by fr0d0 - October 27, 2010 at 4:42 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Bullshit "I'm an atheist but atheism is evil" article in the Grauniad boils my blood GUBU 13 2087 March 30, 2021 at 6:38 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Pathos article atheists can identify with. Brian37 6 2231 September 19, 2017 at 10:50 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  Why science and religious fatih need not be in conflict: It's as easy as 1-2-3! Whateverist 123 37832 May 15, 2017 at 9:05 am
Last Post: Whateverist
  Why Science and religious faith are in conflict. Jehanne 28 7953 May 1, 2017 at 6:24 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  Good Wikipedia article on the History of Atheism. Jehanne 6 1692 April 5, 2017 at 12:45 am
Last Post: Little lunch
  Why God is scientifically redefinable (an atheist article snippet) MadaraUchihuh 4 1448 March 10, 2017 at 9:24 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Are humans Gods? (article by an atheist) ChoklateWolfy 21 4027 March 2, 2017 at 10:11 am
Last Post: account_inactive
  I fear hell, and this article made things worse for me. What do you guys think? arda101 26 4866 February 5, 2017 at 7:38 am
Last Post: Autolite
  2014 article in online science journal: "Atheists Might Not Exist" Whateverist 15 4163 July 4, 2016 at 9:06 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Science and Religion not in direct conflict? maestroanth 26 5358 December 31, 2015 at 10:35 pm
Last Post: Brian37