Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 23, 2024, 3:52 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Proof Mind is Fundamental and Matter Doesn't Exist
RE: Proof Mind is Fundamental and Matter Doesn't Exist
(September 23, 2015 at 9:23 pm)bennyboy Wrote:
(September 23, 2015 at 7:45 pm)Rhythm Wrote: Yes, you did...and that reason is/was an explicit invocation of a fallacy of composition.   
I'm not refuting materialism, since I'm substance agnostic.  I'm refuting that materialism has sound foundations.
No...you aren't, if the manner in which you choose to do so is QM/QFT.  Nevertheless this has nothing to do with what you quoted..it is not a response -to- what you quoted.

Quote:Sure I do, since I can accept the observations of modern physicists without accepting their philosophical assumptions.  I accept the reality of QM/QFT in terms of describing our experience of the universe as we've so far investigated.  However, I do not accept that these squirrely, ambiguous, math-described entities are better represented as things than as ideas.
No, this is not an opinion, it's a condition of the system you are using, Benny. Stolen......concept. But who cares.....that you have a problem with your own description of QM and QFT as being amenable to materialism doesn't matter much, since that description bears little resemblance to QM or QFT. You "do not accept" x y and z...but these things aren't described as x, y, or z. If you think that "Benny's QM™" argues against materialism, present Benny's QM™..otherwise, get your hand out of the cookie jar. Electrons push back, that's just what we observe. If they aren't really pushing back..if they aren't actually there at all, if they're just ideas...then QM and QFT mean -nothing-...it's just some strange but effective illusion.
Quote:That's right-- it may or may not be.  However, given that mind is all I really know, and given that all the science we've been talking about is known only through mind, I feel reasonably justified in pulling out Occam's Razor and eliminating what I see as the extra assumption.
Then you are not an idealist, and it is -still- a fallacy of composition. In any case, you don't actually remove any assumptions here - it;s just another dodge you won't remain consistent to. You assume that QM and QFT (regardless of how poorly you understand either) are informative of and referent to something other than just your mind...or you wouldn't feel comfortable making -any- metaphysical claims - nor would/could you offer QM as evidence of such regardless of what you think they are referent to .

Logic is an unyielding system, learn the damned rules. Science is a very specific endeavor - learn what it actually says.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!

Messages In This Thread
RE: Proof Mind is Fundamental and Matter Doesn't Exist - by Cato - September 18, 2015 at 12:16 am
RE: Proof Mind is Fundamental and Matter Doesn't Exist - by The Grand Nudger - September 23, 2015 at 9:57 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Does a natural "god" maybe exist? Skeptic201 19 1723 November 27, 2022 at 7:46 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  does evil exist? Quill01 51 3720 November 15, 2022 at 5:30 am
Last Post: h4ym4n
  Understanding the rudiment has much to give helps free that mind for further work. highdimensionman 16 1148 May 24, 2022 at 6:31 am
Last Post: highdimensionman
  Do Chairs Exist? vulcanlogician 93 7437 September 29, 2021 at 11:41 am
Last Post: vulcanlogician
  How to change a mind Aroura 0 295 July 30, 2018 at 8:13 am
Last Post: Aroura
  The Philosophy of Mind: Zombies, "radical emergence" and evidence of non-experiential Edwardo Piet 82 12397 April 29, 2018 at 1:57 am
Last Post: bennyboy
  All Lives Matter Foxaèr 161 45355 July 22, 2017 at 9:54 pm
Last Post: Amarok
  If Aliens Exist, Where Are They? Severan 21 5231 July 14, 2017 at 2:17 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Why free will probably does not exist, and why we should stop treating people - WisdomOfTheTrees 22 4704 February 8, 2017 at 7:43 pm
Last Post: WisdomOfTheTrees
  Is the self all that can be known to exist? Excited Penguin 132 15995 December 15, 2016 at 7:32 pm
Last Post: Tonus