Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 29, 2024, 8:59 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
When, Where, How and Why did you become Atheist?
RE: When, Where, How and Why did you become Atheist?
I can tell you the exact date. March 27th, 1977. It was one of the biggest turning points in my life.

(Someone beat me to it with this Tongue)

I was born. Instantaneously, I was a "default atheist". (Perhaps you could argue this happened at an earlier date, inside the womb.)

I was raised in a household where religion was neither preached nor hidden. "God" was not discussed, either for or against. It just wasn't an issue.

The next big event would have been sometime in 1982. At the age of five, I was exposed to a school where Christianity was preached every day. It wasn't a religious school as such, but it had extremely heavy overtones. That may have been the norm back then, I'm not sure. It wouldn't fly today. They presented "fuzzy Jesus" and "prayer answering, good old God."

After taking in all the information about Christianity I was presented with over this first school year, I become a "cognitive atheist". My parents gave me no warning about getting "sucked in", no opinion on the truth of any of it, and we didn't even discuss it at all as far as I can remember. I just came to my own conclusions.

Not much has changed since then. I got into counter-apologetics and the study of the bible a few years ago, at which point I discovered the evidence was even weaker than I thought. I also found out religion was doing even more damage than I thought. This was part of the reason I joined this forum, to try and speak out against this damage, to promote rational thought and to support atheists all over the world who have it much harder than I do. I don't wish to abolish religion, I don't expect to deconvert theists, I just want people to think. I am anti-harm, whatever form it takes. It just so happens that religion is one of the biggest things going, with possibly the biggest potential to cause such harm.

Through critical examination of not just the evidence but the actual claims, I recently changed from agnostic to ignostic (God is not well-defined).
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum

Messages In This Thread
RE: When, Where, How and Why did you become Atheist? - by robvalue - October 7, 2015 at 3:10 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Why did Communists promote Evolution? Nishant Xavier 318 17341 September 7, 2023 at 5:48 pm
Last Post: Simon Moon
  Why did God get such a makeover in the New Testament? Hi600 10 1585 April 1, 2023 at 4:48 am
Last Post: Goosebump
  Atheists will worship the Antichrist and become theists during the Tribulation Preacher 53 3468 November 13, 2022 at 3:57 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Atheists: Why did female with fat butts and short legs exist? Lambe7 14 2032 July 30, 2020 at 7:17 am
Last Post: Gwaithmir
  Why did I (an atheist) legally change my name to "God"? GodBennett 33 3412 July 17, 2020 at 5:49 am
Last Post: Porcupine
  Why did I (an atheist) change my name legally to "God"? GodBennett 0 3280 July 4, 2020 at 10:13 am
Last Post: GodBennett
  Why are you an atheist? Ongietan 26 2695 February 20, 2020 at 1:19 pm
Last Post: Ranjr
  [Serious] Why are you an Atheist? maxolla 303 26504 February 15, 2020 at 8:57 am
Last Post: Abaddon_ire
  [Not Even A Little Bit Serious] Why AREN'T You An Atheist? BrianSoddingBoru4 28 3593 December 28, 2019 at 12:48 pm
Last Post: LastPoet
  What made you become an atheist? Atomic Lava 69 6616 December 12, 2019 at 7:16 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie