Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 28, 2024, 10:25 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rant about weight, fat acceptance, obesity and health
RE: Rant about weight, fat acceptance, obesity and health
(October 23, 2015 at 11:09 am)Dystopia Wrote: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Health_at_Every_Size They also have a website.
Thanks for the pointer. I've taken a look and read around the term.

Quote:Do you think you can say "I have not heard of X" and use it as an argument? I have never met a pro-bullfighting group, but I know they exist.
I wasn't arguing, I was challenging. I wasn't aware of the existence of the term 'fat acceptance' so I was looking for extra information. I was extra sceptical because there's a tendency for those who might be intolerant of fat people (consciously or unconsciously) to consider any body positivity as 'promoting a fat lifestyle'.

Quote:B sides, those movements are typically close to each other and some people may even be a part of both movements - Health at every size is about being healthy and eating right while being overweight, which is in itself a good principle, but it fails because there's a tendency to assume it's not fatness that causes health issues even when doctors confirm it is.
Nothing that I've seen critically challenges the well-established view of health experts: that the more fat you have, the more likely you are to suffer certain medical conditions and the shorter your life-span's likely to be. Instead I've seen encouragement that people need to be accepting of human variety: people are going to be different shapes & sizes, even with the best care taken of their bodies so people need to stop making socio-cultural judgements as a result of individual perceptions of size. There seems to be a clear delineation between the social and the medical aspects of 'fat acceptance'.

Have you any examples of the tendency you refer to?
Sum ergo sum

Messages In This Thread
RE: Rant about weight, fat acceptance, obesity and health - by Ben Davis - October 23, 2015 at 12:15 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Health Supplement no one 0 299 July 24, 2023 at 7:28 am
Last Post: no one
  Nutella is for fat people and kids, right? Foxaèr 12 1035 November 6, 2020 at 7:17 pm
Last Post: Deesse23
  Health advocates do not condemn these gatherings as risky for COVID-19 transmission Agnostico 108 7646 June 14, 2020 at 4:38 pm
Last Post: Agnostico
  2019 has sucked a fat one so far SteelCurtain 11 1469 February 19, 2019 at 8:16 am
Last Post: EgoDeath
  Self entitled meaningless rant. Brian37 4 763 October 22, 2018 at 12:44 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  Very low fat recipes purplepurpose 39 2718 August 21, 2018 at 4:17 pm
Last Post: Joods
  Anyone makes mental health jokes... Mystic 61 15027 March 23, 2018 at 12:45 am
Last Post: Martian Mermaid
  Why should I be ashamed? A rant by a Mexican. J a c k 61 10694 March 20, 2018 at 6:26 am
Last Post: Little lunch
  I've lost more weight Foxaèr 14 1873 February 21, 2018 at 3:41 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  What is your weight and waist size? ErGingerbreadMandude 52 7980 November 26, 2017 at 11:08 pm
Last Post: ErGingerbreadMandude