Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 26, 2024, 3:57 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why do religious people desperately want to class Atheism as a religion?
RE: Why do religious people desperately want to class Atheism as a religion?
(November 24, 2015 at 10:26 am)Kingpin Wrote: Sure but what some see as "convincing" others see as "unconvincing".  it's purely subjective.

Subjectivity, however, does not preclude upper and lower bounds. For example, regardless of your standards, I suspect you have minimum and maximum tolerances for credulity, that roughly align with everyone else's. Were you to see someone standing in front of an object, staring right at it and denying that object's existence, I would think you would think that person is being unreasonable by being unconvinced of that evidence. Likewise, were you to see someone convinced of an obvious scam claim on the basis that some guy said so, you would most likely conclude that that person is being unreasonable by being convinced on such evidence.

When you get to extreme ends of the spectrum, it's no longer subjective whether one should or should not be convinced by a given set of evidence, in that there are clear epistemic issues with picking one or the other option at that point. Religions all fall into the latter extreme, where if they convince someone, they are doing so on insufficient evidence that followers would never accept for other claims, or even other claims within the same type.
"YOU take the hard look in the mirror. You are everything that is wrong with this world. The only thing important to you, is you." - ronedee

Want to see more of my writing? Check out my (safe for work!) site, Unprotected Sects!

Messages In This Thread
RE: Why do religious people desperately want to class Atheism as a religion? - by Esquilax - November 24, 2015 at 11:55 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Stupid things religious people say Foxaèr 1197 90414 Yesterday at 2:05 pm
Last Post: no one
  A thing about religious (and other) people and the illusion of free will ShinyCrystals 265 15077 December 6, 2023 at 12:21 am
Last Post: Harry Haller
  Did Jesus want to create a poli-theism religion? Eclectic 83 7113 December 18, 2022 at 7:54 am
Last Post: LinuxGal
  Why people remain in cultlike religious communities Won2blv 6 698 April 1, 2022 at 7:59 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  How the religious can enjoy Atheism. onlinebiker 10 976 August 30, 2021 at 8:57 am
Last Post: brewer
  Health class christian teacher..... brewer 7 820 March 26, 2021 at 10:37 pm
Last Post: no one
Exclamation Why Atheism is Incoherent & You Aren't as Smart as You Think You Are Seax 60 5478 March 19, 2021 at 9:43 am
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  Enough of this crap, I want to hear directly from god Foxaèr 82 6353 December 22, 2020 at 1:08 pm
Last Post: Prycejosh1987
  Religious culture is the problem, not religion. Since Atheist culture can be good or Snideon 17 2015 July 17, 2020 at 5:55 am
Last Post: Porcupine
  Why do some people condone hell? SuicideCommando01 45 5931 May 22, 2020 at 6:14 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye