Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 1, 2024, 3:45 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I completely agree.
RE: I completely agree.
(December 1, 2015 at 8:53 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote:
(December 1, 2015 at 8:24 pm)RaphielDrake Wrote: At that point is anyone contesting whether you are?
1984 had an interesting concept at the end. That God is power. Able to make people believe fundamental untruths, to force its will on anyone or anything. In the end thats what happens to Winston Smith and then he is disposed of. The very idea in Winstons mind that opposed Big Brothers philosophy was redacted and eradicated before he was killed.
When noone is left to say might is wrong whats the difference? Isn't that how much of history has been written?

The fact of the matter is; if you have enough power you can make any falsehood you want in anyones eyes a truth. I'm not saying might is right but if might wanted to it could make me believe that. With a sufficient amount of might you could make everyone believe that. At that point isn't it true?

No, it isn't true at all.  Falsehood remains falsehood.  Winston may have been convinced that three fingers were four fingers, but that doesn't make three equal to four.  If might makes right in the sense of belief equating with truth, then Jesus of Nazareth is your personal Saviour and was crucified and died for your sins - a LOT of force went into making a LOT of people believe this, but that doesn't make the belief any less false.

Boru

It doesn't make it any less false because you have not been subjected to the required force to warp your mind. If you were subjected to the inquisition would you still have the same perspective? The same grasp of what you currently perceive as facts?
My point is that if a sufficient amount of might was implemented everyone would either be convinced or coerced into thinking the reasons for it are right.
At the point when noone is left to call it wrong noone is around to contest whether might was right. Whether its true takes a back seat. 
Truth is something that exists regardless of whether we perceive it. It exists outside of a statement or a point of view expressing it. But whether something or someone is right or wrong? Thats a subjective judgement on truth made by a human and human judgement is susceptible to coercion.
Big Brother was right... according to Winstons senses. He had been worked over so much he actually believed three is four. At the point everyone has been coerced to truly believe a statement what is the difference between a world that knows something is true and a world that believes something is true? How would you tell which is which if you were an inhabitant of one of those parallel worlds? Would it actually be possible to prove conclusively?
"That is not dead which can eternal lie and with strange aeons even death may die." 
- Abdul Alhazred.

Messages In This Thread
I completely agree. - by Minimalist - December 1, 2015 at 12:33 pm
RE: I completely agree. - by Ludwig - December 1, 2015 at 6:46 pm
RE: I completely agree. - by Foxaèr - December 1, 2015 at 7:15 pm
RE: I completely agree. - by Ludwig - December 1, 2015 at 7:31 pm
RE: I completely agree. - by Foxaèr - December 1, 2015 at 8:01 pm
RE: I completely agree. - by Minimalist - December 1, 2015 at 9:38 pm
RE: I completely agree. - by Ludwig - December 2, 2015 at 2:49 pm
RE: I completely agree. - by Reforged - December 1, 2015 at 7:39 pm
RE: I completely agree. - by BrianSoddingBoru4 - December 1, 2015 at 7:58 pm
RE: I completely agree. - by Reforged - December 1, 2015 at 8:24 pm
RE: I completely agree. - by BrianSoddingBoru4 - December 1, 2015 at 8:53 pm
RE: I completely agree. - by Reforged - December 2, 2015 at 11:11 am
RE: I completely agree. - by Chad32 - December 1, 2015 at 7:48 pm
RE: I completely agree. - by Minimalist - December 1, 2015 at 7:59 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Saudi Arabia: how did the U.K agree to sign weapon deals with it? WinterHold 6 1158 March 12, 2018 at 2:47 pm
Last Post: WinterHold
  Do you agree or disagree with this phrase about those who serve in the Millitary? NuclearEnergy 33 4503 October 25, 2017 at 7:20 pm
Last Post: Kosh
  Why do Trump supporters pretend to be so shocked people don't agree with them NuclearEnergy 4 1977 June 17, 2017 at 10:24 am
Last Post: Whateverist
  Agree/Disagree: is nationalism bad NuclearEnergy 10 2275 December 26, 2016 at 10:29 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
Tongue Evangelicals and atheists agree.... Arkilogue 6 830 October 11, 2016 at 4:17 pm
Last Post: Crossless2.0
  I Completely Agree! Minimalist 5 858 May 4, 2016 at 5:08 pm
Last Post: Crossless2.0
  Gotta Agree With The Satanists Here. Minimalist 0 404 April 28, 2016 at 8:02 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  I Can't Agree, Mr. President Minimalist 7 932 March 16, 2016 at 5:09 am
Last Post: abaris
  Even conservatives agree: Fox News makes you stupid TaraJo 3 2057 December 9, 2012 at 11:11 pm
Last Post: TaraJo
  I don't agree with everything this man does. downbeatplumb 10 2791 December 7, 2012 at 8:52 pm
Last Post: Jackalope