Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 23, 2024, 10:29 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Saudi Arabia: how did the U.K agree to sign weapon deals with it?
Saudi Arabia: how did the U.K agree to sign weapon deals with it?
The crown prince of Saudi Arabia visited the U.K, and ironically he received the welcoming of a King, with lots of arm deals being signed to arm the the Saudi army:

Quote:'A national disgrace': fury over £100m aid deal between UK and Saudi Arabia

https://www.theguardian.com/global-devel...udi-arabia

[Image: 2520.jpg?w=300&q=55&auto=format&usm=12&f...2cabcc46f4]

Quote:
Saudi Arabia moving towards purchase of 48 Typhoon fighter jets from UK after Crown Prince visit

The deal potentially worth some £10bn to BAE Systems will prove controversial due to Saudi's involvement in the Yemen conflict

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/pol...47971.html

in total neglecting of human rights organization reports about the crimes the kingdom is carrying on in Yemen:

https://www.amnesty.org/en/press-release...-children/

https://www.hrw.org/world-report/2017/co...ters/yemen

Despite the reports about the massacres the Saudi airstrikes are causing; the U.K is still providing the kingdom with fighter jets and ammunition to strike even more heavily. Still; there's a voice inside Britain that stands against the kingdom's brutal regime; and thanks are not enough to pay them gratitude.

Moreover; the government of Theresa May is leading the UK in the same terrible foreign policy that kept being repeated since WW1; supporting dictators like the Sauds is one of the terrible things about that policy.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yemeni_Civ...93present)

As the years pass by; civilian casualties pile up in Yemen; the dead civilians are exceeding the 5000+ .
The number is probably bigger than that.

Quote:The Houthis have long been accused of being proxies for Iran, since they both follow Shia Islam (although the Iranians are Twelve-Imam Shias and the Houthis are Five-Imam Shias). The United States and Saudi Arabia have alleged that the Houthis receive weapons and training from Iran.[120] The Houthis and Iranian government have denied any affiliation.[121] The African nation of Eritrea has also been accused of funneling Iranian material to the Houthis,[122] as well as offering medical care for injured Houthi fighters.[123] The Eritrean government has called the allegations "groundless" and said after the outbreak of open hostilities that it views the Yemeni crisis "as an internal matter".[122]

Sectarian religious aspects also show their signs in this war; the Arabic alliance -led by Saudi Arabia- is Sunni; their foes in Yemen are Shiite.
Saudi Arabia did play a huge role in making this sectarian war flame up through the years, even before invading Yemen.

How come, after all this, the British current regime agrees to arm Saudi Arabia
RE: Saudi Arabia: how did the U.K agree to sign weapon deals with it?
Tis all about the allmighty dollar.

Plus, Saudi opposes Iran, so we conveniently forget the bad things they do.
Dying to live, living to die.
(March 11, 2018 at 7:22 pm)The Valkyrie Wrote: Tis all about the allmighty dollar.

Plus, Saudi opposes Iran, so we conveniently forget the bad things they do.

The casualties of the invasion won't forget the British support that easily; ah, it is making new enemies and making a whole generation grow up to be suicidal wackos with one hell of a grudge.

That is probably the story of most terrorists, one thing I know for sure: Al-Qaeda and ISIS is pretty active inside Arab prisons, the inmates who got arrested without trial -like in every Arab country- get enlisted so easily; if they lost their families in blind airstrikes or blind wars, their enlisting is a guarantee. That's why on the long run; the terrorist factories -Saudi Arabia & Iran- will backfire in the faces of their own people and allies.

Hey; ISIS soldiers butcher other Arabs for practice before they strike the west. Dollars also end up on the long run; so that foreign policy is really destructive if somebody observed it.
You can't please everybody.
Same reason we (Canada) signed one 

MONEY !!! Dodgy
Seek strength, not to be greater than my brother, but to fight my greatest enemy -- myself.

Inuit Proverb

@Atlas

Governments prefer to deal with functional ruling authorities, in short..other governments.  In this way the governments of the world will prop up a shit government for the simple fact of it being a known quantity.  The air of legitimacy is important when you're looking to sell 50 jets.  

Consider it, for a moment..and then ask yourself whether you would prefer that they were sold to some other warlord.  The west would sell jets directly to ISIS if they kept the lights on and played the game. We're dealing with a choice between a bunch of dirtbag islamists regardless..so ofc we choose the islamists with aligned interests.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(March 11, 2018 at 7:52 pm)Minimalist Wrote: You can't please everybody.

The reason for the support is not all to please as it seems; this is more about a bloody choice the British ruling regimes took since so long, to support and sign agreements with the Saudi royalty in the Middle East. The country of the Sauds would not exist without British green light.

(March 11, 2018 at 8:16 pm)Tizheruk Wrote: Same reason we (Canada) signed one 

MONEY !!! Dodgy

David Cameron believes there's another reason:

(March 12, 2018 at 2:12 am)Khemikal Wrote: @Atlas

Governments prefer to deal with functional ruling authorities, in short..other governments.  In this way the governments of the world will prop up a shit government for the simple fact of it being a known quantity.  The air of legitimacy is important when you're looking to sell 50 jets.  

Consider it, for a moment..and then ask yourself whether you would prefer that they were sold to some other warlord.  The west would sell jets directly to ISIS if they kept the lights on and played the game.  We're dealing with a choice between a bunch of dirtbag islamists regardless..so ofc we choose the islamists with aligned interests.

War crimes are enough to strip any regime of legitimacy, add to it the severe breaches to human rights.
The kingdom is literally an ISIS that gained its position by bribing its way out of every accusation of human rights' violation.

On the long run; the U.K is killing its reputation in the Middle East with this support of dictator regimes. Today's governments in the Middle East are led by dictator thugs; not Islamists with an agenda. Look at Saudi Arabia to realize that the crown prince is robbing the country out of every penny, and buying more time in the throne by persuading western governments -like Trump's government- with huge piles of money.

When the cash is over, all that is left is the furious population. And that's destructive to the interests of any western infrastructure in the region.
In other words; the U.K's current regime should win the people of Arabia's hearts.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Trump did a good thing by humiliating Saudi Arabia WinterHold 24 4042 July 1, 2019 at 7:38 pm
Last Post: WinterHold
  Saudi Arabia: the King has Alzehimer; forgetting words in front of camera WinterHold 27 2366 February 28, 2019 at 6:37 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  [Serious] Arrested Citizens Being Tortured In Saudi Arabia WinterHold 0 348 February 21, 2019 at 8:30 pm
  Venezuela and Saudi Arabia in the eyes of the American one-eyed foreign policy WinterHold 9 1362 February 4, 2019 at 10:04 am
Last Post: Yonadav
  Saudi Arabia is falling, It's all over WinterHold 37 4195 January 27, 2019 at 5:01 am
Last Post: Deesse23
  Saudi Arabia had been sold :) WinterHold 4 1223 January 25, 2019 at 10:19 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Trump visited Saudi Israelia. WinterHold 13 3371 January 11, 2019 at 1:00 pm
  Saudi Arabia as USA ally is not a bad thing Rignia 6 963 November 25, 2018 at 4:19 pm
  Saudi Arabia: a stance against the beast WinterHold 4 484 November 8, 2018 at 1:02 am
  Saudi Arabia whitewashing its reputation by paying to PR companies WinterHold 0 219 October 17, 2018 at 8:00 am