Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 2, 2024, 1:32 am

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
The Reasons why "Just Following Jesus" Doesn't work
RE: The Reasons why "Just Following Jesus" Doesn't work
Quote:So despite all the suffering and death, he really does still love us, and when he does those things we actually deserve them...it's not his fault...he just gets so angry...
this statement proves that your view is simplistic. You fall back on your presumptions about what you think I believe and what you think the bible says about suffereing. 

Quote:The Bible is about a monster that kills droves of people and animals, and his name is Yahweh.
Why, because humans lack souls?

The entire Bible is one large, poorly-contrived lie. It's honestly kind of embarrassing that I believed it for so long.
Sin (offense against god) is not real because gods are not real.
These lies don't serve you and won't save you. 

Quote:My moral superiority is not a point of pride, but of objective fact. I live in a time that is demonstrably less violent and criminal than ages past, and that trend is directly proportional to the global decline of religion and the continued advances of science and secularism.
You think that there is a decline in religion where are you getting this from? Also, where is the data to back up your statement that this is a more peaceful time and that it is directly related to the fact that there is a lack of religion? Also the Communist China, communist Russia, Mussolini, Stalin, Hitler these people and governments were (are) secular so it isn't religion it is the heart of man that is deceitful and wicked. Life isn't that simple to say all religion is evil and if we're can be rid of it then everything will be great. That is a very naive viewpoint and I believe a misunderstanding of history and human nature.

Quote:Except for Egypt, Jericho, Sodom and Gomorrah, Lot's wife, Satan and his rebels, the whole of antediluvian humanity, that one fig tree that one time...shit, who else?
This is again an oversimplification of the facts and a misunderstand of what the bible says. When life stops at science you will never be able to fully deal with reality. You can't say what happened here is wrong because you don't understand it you don't have a framework to comprehend it. Your claim to say you do is just playing at God and it is a game that you will lose. You are morally, intellectually, physically, and spiritually incapable for the job. 

Quote:Anyone who would not condemn someone to infinite punishment for finite crimes has the moral high ground when dealing with your god character.
It is not a finite crime it is an infinite crime against an infinite God because God is the one who holds you together. Yet, you use the breath and life he gives you and don't just ignore God just fight against God.  When you do wrong to others whether intentionally or intentionally you use what He has given you to do wrong. You are a thief when you lie to yourself and say He doesn't exist and live life as you deem fit. You don't understand because you are unwilling to understand and this is foolish and destructive. Yet, God is rich in mercy and grace. The fact that you are still breathing is proof of this. 

Quote:I sincerely have no reason to believe that Hell exists. I know your claim is that it does, but I don't "know" that I'm going to end up in Hell because as far as I'm concerned, there is no such place. There is no more reason to believe in Hell than there is to believe in the god that supposedly created it, and until I have a really good reason to believe it, I'm just not going to.
There are many thing that you don't believe nor could understand that are real. Just because you deny it doesn't make it not exist. 

Quote:Until you can prove the existence of souls, your god, and this afterlife, your claim is not only asinine but also insidious. It is the very worst kind of fraud, and you should be ashamed of yourself for propagating it.
I am not going to be ashamed of the truth. What is a shame is that you don't have proof the there isn't a soul or God or an afterlife. I have the Bible, I have the presence of God, the fellowship of believers and history, and nature. You may say this isn't proof, but God deemed it enough. What is asinine and insidious it to lie to yourself and other about the reality of evil, hell and God. Your claims of morals is fallacious there can't be anything wrong with hurt of suffereing in your world because people are just highly evolved organisms. If you want to end the suffereing of organisms then you need to see what we can do about the suffereing of plant life. The suffereing of mosquitos and other such animal life. You can't just start thinking about humans because you are one or dogs because you like them. How much of your "truth" is a regurgitation of the world and how much of it is actually reality?

Quote:The Golden Rule, as I understand it, is "treat others the way you want to be treated." That covers things you don't want people to do, and things you would want them to do (like help you if you're hungry, for instance). No part of that demands the presence of a god, nor does it necessitate that the beings involved possess any "intrinsic worth," whatever that is. 
Since you deem the bible full of lies then I assume you don't ascribe to the golden rule in the bible instead you ascribe to a "golden rule" that predates the bible. So, I will assume that it is a golden rule that says don't do to others as you would have them do to you. Like the one Confucius said. If you ascribe to one that tells people to do onto others then please state it because I am unaware of it.

Messages In This Thread
RE: The Reasons why "Just Following Jesus" Doesn't work - by Rekeisha - April 8, 2016 at 3:21 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  A 21st Century Ontological Argument: does it work. JJoseph 23 1480 January 9, 2024 at 8:10 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Atheists, if God doesnt exist, then explain why Keanu Reeves looks like Jesus Christ Frakki 9 1087 April 1, 2023 at 4:07 am
Last Post: Goosebump
  Why God doesn't stop satan? purplepurpose 225 16134 June 28, 2021 at 1:52 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
Photo Popular atheist says universe is not a work of art like a painting Walter99 32 3589 March 22, 2021 at 1:24 pm
Last Post: LadyForCamus
  Why is Jesus Circumcised and not the rest of the christians ? Megabullshit 23 5435 February 9, 2020 at 3:20 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  How can you be sure that God doesn't exist? randomguy123 50 5895 August 14, 2019 at 10:46 pm
Last Post: EgoDeath
  Do you know that homeopathy doesn't work, or do you just lack belief that it does? I_am_not_mafia 24 5361 August 25, 2018 at 4:34 am
Last Post: EgoDeath
  The Never-Addressed reasons that lead me to Atheism Chimera7 26 3848 August 20, 2018 at 10:10 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Not religious doesn't necessarily mean atheist John V 99 18173 November 8, 2017 at 9:28 pm
Last Post: Martian Mermaid
  Being An Atheist Doesn't Make You A Good Person mlmooney89 38 7125 September 7, 2017 at 10:29 am
Last Post: drfuzzy