Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 23, 2024, 5:31 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Most Humans Do NOT Have Completely Frree Will
RE: Most Humans Do NOT Have Completely Frree Will
(April 18, 2016 at 7:24 pm)Evie Wrote: It is an indicator of freedom but it doesn't apply to the willpower. And responsibility is relevant to the topic of free will once the true conclusion that the will itself is not free is reached, which is true because to redefine "free will" itself in such a way that we can merely label it as free is not the same thing as proving that it's actually free. "free" and "will" already have perfectly good definitions and both exist but not together because the will/willpower isn't free.
Why doesn't it apply to willpower? It sounds like special pleading to me. Have you explained elsewhere why willpower is a special case?

Quote:Exactly. And people often don't, they just throw the word "God" around expecting people to know what they talk about and many people will assume it means the standard definition even when they just mean the universe. Same goes with "free will", it's equally misleading but far more morally significant when someone misleads matters by throwing "free will" around when all they mean is "will" and redefine it in such a way that they are redefining "will" itself to mean "free will" because the compatablist sense of "free will" is no different to merely "will" and any sense of freedom that is possible within determinism and compatabilism is so trivially true that it was never under question anyway, it's a dodge, a mistep, an equivocation and an easy answer superficially but a complete non-answer to a deeper question.

That's what I thought as well until I started reader further into this topic. Just like you, I underestimated most philosophers when it came to this topic and mistakenly thought they haven't thought deeply enough about it. Turns out I was the one redefining free will to mean something it literally does not mean, and you are doing that here as well.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Most Humans Do NOT Have Completely Frree Will - by Grandizer - April 19, 2016 at 3:49 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Are the animals luckier than humans? TrueNorth 13 881 August 19, 2022 at 11:37 am
Last Post: Macoleco
  On theism, why do humans have moral duties even if there are objective moral values? Pnerd 37 3305 May 24, 2022 at 11:49 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Do humans have inherent value? Macoleco 39 2321 June 14, 2021 at 1:58 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  My House Did not have a Builder (or did it?) Dan Brooks 180 26295 January 8, 2018 at 1:09 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Humans are scum ApeNotKillApe 39 10284 May 24, 2016 at 5:16 pm
Last Post: abaris
  Do Humans have a Natural State? Shining_Finger 13 2561 April 1, 2016 at 4:42 am
Last Post: robvalue
  What could Redeem Humans? Shining_Finger 72 9244 December 6, 2015 at 10:01 am
Last Post: DespondentFishdeathMasochismo
  Do Humans Have Compulsary Will? Which best describes your take on 'will'? Whateverist 100 11254 June 11, 2015 at 8:29 am
Last Post: Whateverist
  Moral law in Humans and other animals The Reality Salesman01 13 4116 February 28, 2015 at 1:32 am
Last Post: The Reality Salesman01
  Humans BrokenQuill92 4 1278 January 22, 2014 at 5:59 am
Last Post: Odysseus