Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 1:27 am

Poll: What is "will" to you?
This poll is closed.
Radically free in the full blooded libertarian sense.
0%
0 0%
Free but inescapably (and thankfully) constrained.
17.65%
3 17.65%
Compulsory. Nothing gets willed unless I get off my lazy ass.
5.88%
1 5.88%
Free when not impeded by the will of another or circumstances beyond my feeble powers.
11.76%
2 11.76%
"Will" is an illusion of the mind, a concept believed by idiots, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
23.53%
4 23.53%
Will is epiphenomenal, a byproduct of useful processes of the brain.
23.53%
4 23.53%
Other please explain unless the repeated call to so causes nausea. Check with your doctor to see if your constitution is strong enough for this debate.
17.65%
3 17.65%
Total 17 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Do Humans Have Compulsary Will? Which best describes your take on 'will'?
Do Humans Have Compulsary Will? Which best describes your take on 'will'?
Stimbo alluded to this in the first page of Aurora's recent Free Will reprise.

The question here is not "are we free to choose what we will?"  Rather, I want to know if we have any other choice.

You drive up to the McDonald's window to place an order.  But understanding you have no free will, you just sit there and wait for the will over which you have no say to do as it will.  After the honking stops, the manager stops yelling and your car has been pushed out of the way you are genuinely surprised to see that you have received no meal at all, super-sized or otherwise.  Where to hell is determinism when you need it?

Kind of odd to think that something impossible should also be required, with the fact of our survival indicating that we do accomplish this required thing.  Therefore word of its non-existence must be greatly exaggerated?  You may not be able to choose a happy meal free from the determinative factors of your environment.  But neither, it appears, are you free to refrain from acts of will without starvation or worse.

Please choose all that apply; you are not limited to just one choice.  The poll will be public so that we are all free to laugh derisively at anyone who disagrees with us.
RE: Do Humans Have Compulsary Will? Which best describes your take on 'will'?
It seems most likely to me that the feeling of free will, along with the "mind", is some sort of weird side effect of the workings of the brain. My only "evidence" (it's not really evidence as such) for this belief is the lack of evidence for anything other than the brain actually existing, as far as I know. So I went with the epiphany one. I have toyed with calling it an illusion before... I'm not so sure what that means anymore, so it doesn't quite seem like the right word.

I'm far from totally convinced, this is only my best guess. I certainly haven't discounted there being more to the mind/free will than just the brain, I just can't justify thinking that there actually is yet.

If anything, I feel more and more that I don't have free will. I feel like an observer to "myself".
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
I really don't know. I'm stumped, stupefied, ass-deep in alligators trying to drain the swamp.

I would agree that free will is an illusion, but hardly signifying nothing. By illusion I mean that there exist multiple descriptions of the phenomena, and that the naively endorsed description of will, that it's a capacity to freely decide, is bettered by a description which is not as obvious or naively correct, namely that the working of will plays some deterministic role in the economy of the mind. It is a useful idiot. Illusory, but not without function, and not non-existent. Being illusory means that there is a conception of it that is more accurate to what is really occurring.
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
First, thanks for the clearer poll.

I selected epiphenomenal. Because yes, it certainly signifies something, it isn't useless, and I don't think only idiots believe in some kind of actual will.
“Eternity is a terrible thought. I mean, where's it going to end?” 
― Tom StoppardRosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead
I don't know what epiphenomenal means, so I picked the one saying everyone's an idiot.
I really don't know to be honest. The brain likes to keep moving - following trains of thought and associations etc - but 'choice' happens mainly when it is at rest (ie when you are not lost in thought). Ie you can sit and do nothing for x amount of time and then make a choice. In other words I don't know what triggers it as opposed to how normal associations are triggered. It could be just subconscious stuff going on under the surface and when that 'returns' it triggers the act of choice but I really don't know. I'm still inclined to think though that it is determined in the same way as the other brain processes are, just part of its affect is to make us feel like we really are doing it ourselves.
Gah I'm so glad I'm not the only one without a clue on the topic
(May 28, 2015 at 2:16 pm)Jörmungandr Wrote: Being illusory means that there is a conception of it that is more accurate to what is really occurring.

I really like how you worded everything, but this last bit gave me pause. Maybe you could explain this a bit better for me. I'll try to illustrate my confusion: Lets say a thing has 10 details that's describe it. Then Bob comes along and describes the thing with 20 details. Is Bob really more accurate?
(May 28, 2015 at 5:12 pm)Exian Wrote:
(May 28, 2015 at 2:16 pm)Jörmungandr Wrote: Being illusory means that there is a conception of it that is more accurate to what is really occurring.

I really like how you worded everything, but this last bit gave me pause. Maybe you could explain this a bit better for me. I'll try to illustrate my confusion: Lets say a thing has 10 details that's describe it. Then Bob comes along and describes the thing with 20 details. Is Bob really more accurate?

Accuracy in the scientific sense.  I'm primarily concerned with explaining metaphysical details with naturalistic explanations.
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The "Take it or leave it" Approach Leonardo17 1 313 November 9, 2022 at 2:06 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Are the animals luckier than humans? TrueNorth 13 792 August 19, 2022 at 11:37 am
Last Post: Macoleco
  On theism, why do humans have moral duties even if there are objective moral values? Pnerd 37 3088 May 24, 2022 at 11:49 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Do humans have inherent value? Macoleco 39 2043 June 14, 2021 at 1:58 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  My take on regret Mr.Obvious 20 2701 October 20, 2017 at 7:37 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Humans are scum ApeNotKillApe 39 9957 May 24, 2016 at 5:16 pm
Last Post: abaris
  Most Humans Do NOT Have Completely Frree Will Rhondazvous 57 5018 April 20, 2016 at 6:46 pm
Last Post: Whateverist
  Do Humans have a Natural State? Shining_Finger 13 2490 April 1, 2016 at 4:42 am
Last Post: robvalue
  What could Redeem Humans? Shining_Finger 72 8920 December 6, 2015 at 10:01 am
Last Post: DespondentFishdeathMasochismo
  Moral law in Humans and other animals The Reality Salesman01 13 4027 February 28, 2015 at 1:32 am
Last Post: The Reality Salesman01