Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 23, 2024, 1:09 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Problems understanding naturalistically the beginning of the universe
RE: Problems understanding naturalistically the beginning of the universe
That question is the subject of much debate. However, since it is apparent from physics that what we perceive as "time" is in fact a dimension connected to the others, functioning as interconnected with them, there is no such thing as "before" the Big Bang, since time as a term would become meaningless. So when someone says it "began", they're referring to the start of time.

However, we cannot know (or do not yet know) whether there was some other factor causing time or anything else to exist outside the Singularity, independent of it. We would have to invent whole new maths to even ponder that question (physicists have overtly said so), and frankly, I think it's only of passing interest to science, for now, since we're still trying to figure out our own universe-- from Dark Matter/Energy to the Higgs Boson to the problem of completing the Theory of Everything.

On the other hand, I hear theists mention this question a lot, and seem to consider the start of the universe some sort of proof for God, even though it's child's play to show that the Cosmological Argument makes entirely too many assumptions to even begin to demonstrate that the concept we humans call "God" is necessary or plausible.
A Christian told me: if you were saved you cant lose your salvation. you're sealed with the Holy Ghost

I replied: Can I refuse? Because I find the entire concept of vicarious blood sacrifice atonement to be morally abhorrent, the concept of holding flawed creatures permanently accountable for social misbehaviors and thought crimes to be morally abhorrent, and the concept of calling something "free" when it comes with the strings of subjugation and obedience perhaps the most morally abhorrent of all... and that's without even going into the history of justifying genocide, slavery, rape, misogyny, religious intolerance, and suppression of free speech which has been attributed by your own scriptures to your deity. I want a refund. I would burn happily rather than serve the monster you profess to love.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Problems understanding naturalistically the beginning of the universe - by TheRocketSurgeon - May 2, 2016 at 12:05 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is it possible that the universe could be eternal??... dave4shmups 145 17546 August 9, 2023 at 11:13 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  The Universe Is Not Locally Real Foxaèr 52 5530 December 31, 2022 at 2:11 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Infinite Universe? JairCrawford 13 1251 May 4, 2022 at 5:17 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Now we know when the first stars in the universe switched on Foxaèr 1 428 June 28, 2021 at 6:47 am
Last Post: vulcanlogician
  Another universe existed before ours Foxaèr 27 2664 November 29, 2020 at 10:05 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Watching a show "How The Universe Works" Brian37 13 1906 July 24, 2018 at 2:20 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  Inflation without a beginning: a null boundary proposal Jehanne 7 969 May 30, 2018 at 6:42 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  Total stars in Universe is rougly equal to the total number (ever) of human cells. Jehanne 39 6541 May 24, 2018 at 6:05 pm
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  An infinite, beginningless and eternal Universe is taken seriously by scientists. Jehanne 20 4029 March 18, 2018 at 11:04 am
Last Post: LadyForCamus
  What Does Gravity Have To Do WithThe Expanding Universe? Rhondazvous 42 6277 February 26, 2018 at 8:14 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet