Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 10, 2024, 7:29 am

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Game of Thrones Season 6 Discussion [SPOILERS WITHIN]
RE: Game of Thrones Season 6 Discussion [SPOILERS WITHIN]
(June 14, 2016 at 5:50 pm)Aegon Wrote: The biggest problem is with the show's concept of the Faceless Men and the House of Black and White. Jaqen has put it in the viewers' heads that a true Faceless Man is "no one," with no past, no identity, only existing to serve the Many-Faced Gods and pay the debts of death. It is implied in the show (and clearly noted in the novels) that the Waif is a FM herself. Not a trainee like Arya, but someone who has been serving the House of Black and White for some time. Yet, she's the worst FM ever, if we go by what the show has led us to believe the FM are like. The Waif clearly holds a personal grudge against Arya, she asks to personally assassinate Arya, and she tries to kill her in a painful manner which Jaqen told her not to do. That's "no one"? And yeah, you could argue that that was the point; the Waif wasn't truly a FM and being defeated by Arya was sort of the Waif's final test, which she failed. But when Arya, who clearly is exactly the same despite being able to kill the bitch, comes back Jaqen praises her and acts like she passed the tests and now she's suddenly "no one", with no past, no identity, only existing to serve the Many-Faced God. Like, what? This goes against everything we've come to know about the Faceless Men, show and book.

I think that was the point, though. Jaqen's betrayal of character was a condensation of the 'lesson' that Arya was to learn in Braavos. Arya's final lesson wasn't the one that Jaqen intended, but he gave it to her, nonetheless.

The point was that there is no purity of motive in this world. It's an overarching theme throughout the novels. No matter who the character---Ned Stark, Robb Stark, Jon Snow, Sansa, Arya, Jaqen H'ghar---there is no one that is not touched be greed of some sort, or personal desire that overtakes their true motive. Arya always treated certain people like paragons of virtue, to a fault. Jaqen is one of them. Him telling her "now, a girl is finally no one" was just as clearly bullshit to you and me as it was to her.

I think in the books, the theme of religion being clearly the invention and tool of men is important as well. The Faceless God is just as much of a sham as the Seven and R'hllor.

GRRM wrote a 5 year gap in Arya's story. There was a lot to condense, and with only 15 episodes left, I think they had to move that story line along quickly. I hate that it was zipped up so quickly, but I don't think it was that awful.

(June 14, 2016 at 5:50 pm)Aegon Wrote: The two things you mentioned were also an even bigger deal IMO. Do you know why there were so many theories about how Arya from Ep. 7 may not be the real Arya, or Arya set it all up, etc. etc? Because otherwise what you're left with is really, really shit writing. Walking around out in the open with no protection making a scene for any FM around by buying a voyage home with a shit ton of cash (using her right hand, despite being left-handed), then taking a little stroll....and then not thinking it was suspicious when an old lady got mad close to her even though she's been training for god knows how long and should know not to trust anyone since the FM can take anybody's face...it was just ridiculous. Out of character, and the scene was only written that way for the viewer to be shocked when the Waif shanked her. There was no logic beyond that.

The story definitely had its shining moments, but with a conclusion this bad (IMO) I can't truly be satisfied by most of it. In the end it just felt like a way for Arya to pass the time while other characters actually did shit.

I agree that Arya was not being smart if she wasn't trying to lure the waif.

I think she was. I think she knew that the only way to be done with the FM was to get a face on the wall. She would never be safe, even within the walls of Winterfell. The suspicion would drive her mad, when every face she sees could be the waif coming to collect that score.

I also think that Arya wasn't well matched against the waif, and that's why it went terribly. She has never finished any training she started. The end game was clearly supposed to be a dark room with needle. She was blind for a long time, she can fight without light. She is a water dancer. I thought that part was especially poignant, and made the whole scene for me. It was Arya returning to Arya, student of the First Sword of Braavos.

Syrio Forel Wrote:Other men were stronger, faster, younger, why was Syrio Forel the best? I will tell you now. The seeing, the true seeing, that is the heart of it.

To drive it home, she delivers the face to the wall, and tells Jaqen it's over. He takes off his 'mask' for her, and shows her it was all a show. This wraps up the Lady Crane, waif, and Jaqen story in a nice bow.

The more I think about it, the less I hate it. It was hurried, but I don't think it was terrible.
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---

Messages In This Thread
RE: Game of Thrones Season 6 Discussion [SPOILERS WITHIN] - by SteelCurtain - June 14, 2016 at 8:40 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Captain Marvel movie w/ spoilers Rahn127 0 364 March 9, 2019 at 2:04 am
Last Post: Rahn127
  I wan't to express, that I disliked Rick and Morty season 3 Der/die AtheistIn 38 2701 February 6, 2019 at 2:33 pm
Last Post: Der/die AtheistIn
  'Tis the Season (almost) -- your favorite Nativity photos here! Jehanne 38 2990 December 27, 2018 at 8:44 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Upcoming movie movie trailer discussion Alex K 50 6335 October 22, 2018 at 7:49 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
Video Game of Thrones Season 7 Discussion [SPOILERS WITHIN] SteelCurtain 357 68393 January 28, 2018 at 9:37 am
Last Post: vulcanlogician
  X-Files season 11 (maybe) Foxaèr 10 1961 January 26, 2018 at 1:41 pm
Last Post: LadyForCamus
Tongue Let's talk Black Mirror season 4 Aoi Magi 23 3873 January 15, 2018 at 9:35 am
Last Post: GrandizerII
  Which is the best survivor season? ErGingerbreadMandude 4 1082 October 22, 2017 at 9:34 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  Game of Thrones Season 7 trailer, "The Long Walk" Aegon 3 950 March 30, 2017 at 3:06 pm
Last Post: FatAndFaithless
  Do not watch the movie, "The Arrival" because it is pro-life propaganda. {Spoilers} Foxaèr 21 5091 February 6, 2017 at 11:01 am
Last Post: Mister Agenda