Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 3, 2024, 1:29 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why the religious will never admit you won the argument (and why they don't care)
RE: Why the religious will never admit you won the argument (and why they don't care)
(June 21, 2016 at 3:28 pm)Veritas_Vincit Wrote: I think you got two lists I gave confused: The things I said were mandated by the Bible are those I listed above and gave chapter and verse for. That list, as it says, are evils caused directly by religion, but I think you got the lists confused. 

Your definition of a Christian may be clearly laid out to you, but from an outside perspective there are so many hundreds of denominations and sects as to make it really, really hazy. 

Why would anyone only care about just the New Testament? Jesus clearly states that "not one jot or tittle of the law can change until all has come to pass" and "I have not come to replace the law but to fulfill it" - IE If you throw out the Old Testament you lose Biblical authority. and you're just picking a la carte from the Bible, plus you loose the 10 commandments and the prophecy that makes Jesus the Messiah in the first place, so I find your exclusive focus on the New Testament odd. You can't have the new Testament without the old without going against what Jesus explicitly instructed in the New. "He does not observe the law shall be considered least in the kingdom of heaven."

ID is creationism in a cheep suit, it's the same pseudoscientific unfounded rubbish than runs contrary to ALL of science. The harm is that there are teachers who talk about Evolution as though it's some conspiracy, when it is scientific fact, stultifying the minds of thousands of children. They might as well be teaching children in Geography class that the world may in fact be flat.

Sorry if I was confused with your lists.

Differences among denominations are not necessarily weaknesses. Differences come from cultural, social, and doctrinal variations but you are going to have to adhere to the basic NT teachings to be called Christian. Anything added on top of that is man-made.

The reason I mention the NT most is because it is 1) evidence that God exists, 2) provides everything you need to live worthy of God and 3) is what the entire OT was looking forward to and preparing for. 

You seem convinced that evolution has answered everything. It has big gaping holes that you can drive a truck through but it is your only option since it is the best naturalistic explanation. Theism has the flexibility to go where the science leads us no matter what and I think that is the far better position to be in.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Why the religious will never admit you won the argument (and why they don't care) - by SteveII - June 21, 2016 at 10:32 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  A thing about religious (and other) people and the illusion of free will ShinyCrystals 265 14222 December 6, 2023 at 12:21 am
Last Post: Harry Haller
  Why does God care about S E X? zwanzig 83 5719 November 15, 2021 at 10:57 pm
Last Post: LadyForCamus
  Flat Earther, and other conspiracy theories. Are they mostly atheists? Ferrocyanide 95 7364 April 26, 2021 at 3:56 am
Last Post: Tomatoshadow2
  Someone should tell these people Buddha never existed Vincenzo Vinny G. 14 4728 March 5, 2021 at 6:44 am
Last Post: arewethereyet
  [Serious] Care to Seriously Consider the Existance of a Creator (God)? theMadJW 117 11443 April 29, 2020 at 12:40 pm
Last Post: polymath257
  If there is a God(s) it/they clearly don't want us to believe in them, no? Duty 12 1508 April 5, 2020 at 8:36 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Are there any theists here who think God wants, or will take care of, Global Warming? Duty 16 3640 January 19, 2020 at 11:50 am
Last Post: Smedders
  Prayers don't work so why do religious keep jabbing at it? Fake Messiah 65 9970 August 26, 2019 at 7:15 pm
Last Post: HappySkeptic
  Why Creationists don't realize the biblical Creation is just jewish mythology? android17ak47 65 8889 July 27, 2019 at 9:03 pm
Last Post: Haipule
  Why We don't take your Holy Scriptures Seriously vulcanlogician 75 8192 October 25, 2018 at 5:15 pm
Last Post: Minimalist