Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 9, 2024, 10:47 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Refuting Christians with their Own Bible
RE: Refuting Christians with their Own Bible
(July 5, 2016 at 2:00 pm)Irrational Wrote:
(July 5, 2016 at 11:35 am)SteveII Wrote: You need to read everything together and you'll understand the message of Jesus was decidedly not conducive to slavery. Paul expounded on a lot of things (that was kind of his job).

Galatians 3:27 "For all of you who were baptized into Christ have clothed yourselves with Christ. 28 There is neither Jew nor Greek, slave nor free, male nor female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus."

I would argue that "love your neighbor as yourself" is incompatible with owning a slave so therefore teaches slavery is wrong. Polygamy not clear except that church leaders should be the "husband of one wife". Pirating movies is stealing. Proverbs deals harshly with gossip. Abortion falls under the murder prohibition so it trumps anyone's 'rights'. Smoking is harmful to the body and harming the body is sinful -- gray area. 

As I said above to Veritas-Vincit, we encounter many situations that are not found in the Bible, so basic principles of morality are extracted and used to apply to the new situation. Is that process flawless, no.

Again, you're still using your personal standards as you interpret the relevant Bible passages according to those standards. Just because some book tells you to, for example, respect one's parents doesn't mean that the author is explicitly saying that one should therefore be ok with them verbally or physically abusing him.

I mean, look at the words "I would argue". Those words indicate subjective belief about what it means to love one's neighbor as oneself. You believe it means loving all people as yourself. But it's not explicit that neighbor in this context means all people unconditional (therefore, including slaves). And it's not like you're the ultimate interpreter of the scriptures, and everyone else who interprets it differently is wrong.

Regarding polygamy, what about those who aren't church leaders? Ah, see, personal interpretation and moral standards once again.

Pirating movies: Is pirating really stealing? I know many Christians who believe it's not, and that it's rather about sharing resources with other Christians, in the case of Christians movies.

Gossip: But what is gossip exactly? You didn't address this question properly. I asked you something along the lines of what constitutes gossip? Did Paul gossip about people in his epistles? Was that bad gossip, or just righteous talk?

Abortion: Where does it say abortion is murder in the Bible? Again, interpretation.

Same for smoking.

So it all boils down to interpretation rather than just extracting clear and explicit information from the Bible about every moral matter. And interpretation will vary, partly depending on what kind of person you are morally and what moral standards and attitudes you hold about moral matters.

At the end, you admit the process is not flawless. Shouldn't this nullify everything you confidently said before that?

I understand your point. Just one more thing about loving your neighbor: Luke 6:27ff: “But I say to you who hear, Love your enemies, do good to those who hate you, bless those who curse you, pray for those who abuse you. To one who strikes you on the cheek, offer the other also, and from one who takes away your cloak do not withhold your tunic either. Give to everyone who begs from you, and from one who takes away your goods do not demand them back. And as you wish that others would do to you, do so to them." There are many other places in the gospels and then the epistles pick up the theme too. And this is my point: this principle gives us very good grounds on which to make judgments on moral actions, like slavery.

The polygamy thing is referenced several times in the epistles that church leaders are to be the "husband of one wife" which is instruction for practical reasons and not moral reasons. Other than that, it is a cultural thing and not a moral issue.

The Christians you know are stealing intellectual property that was intended for sale by those that took the time to produce it. I don't know of any other way to look at that. 

Gossip has, as part of its definition, motive (ranging from merely wanting attention to spiteful--or worse). Paul did not gossip because anything he said also came with the motive for saying it.

Yes, abortion is an interpretation of the "do not kill". I do not think it an unreasonable interpretation and because of the high stakes, not one you can really sit on the fence on--like smoking, which I don't think is immoral--just unwise. 

I believe you are entirely correct when you said: "So it all boils down to interpretation rather than just extracting clear and explicit information from the Bible about every moral matter. "

I do not think because the Bible did not anticipate every possible situation that we cannot derive core values that help in determining moral choices. Can we be 100% correct? No. So we are left with a good body of objective moral information and left to determine, subjectively, the balance for everyday, constantly changing life and culture.

Messages In This Thread
Refuting Christians with their Own Bible - by Incognito - June 28, 2016 at 7:02 am
RE: Refuting Christians with their Own Bible - by SteveII - June 28, 2016 at 11:30 am
RE: Refuting Christians with their Own Bible - by SteveII - June 28, 2016 at 12:36 pm
RE: Refuting Christians with their Own Bible - by SteveII - June 28, 2016 at 11:31 am
RE: Refuting Christians with their Own Bible - by Spirian - June 28, 2016 at 12:50 pm
RE: Refuting Christians with their Own Bible - by Ayen - June 28, 2016 at 6:25 pm
RE: Refuting Christians with their Own Bible - by SteveII - June 28, 2016 at 10:21 pm
RE: Refuting Christians with their Own Bible - by SteveII - June 28, 2016 at 10:23 pm
RE: Refuting Christians with their Own Bible - by SteveII - June 28, 2016 at 10:56 pm
RE: Refuting Christians with their Own Bible - by SteveII - June 28, 2016 at 10:41 pm
RE: Refuting Christians with their Own Bible - by SteveII - June 29, 2016 at 10:14 am
RE: Refuting Christians with their Own Bible - by SteveII - June 29, 2016 at 11:47 am
RE: Refuting Christians with their Own Bible - by SteveII - June 28, 2016 at 11:03 pm
RE: Refuting Christians with their Own Bible - by Ayen - June 28, 2016 at 11:06 pm
RE: Refuting Christians with their Own Bible - by SteveII - June 28, 2016 at 11:21 pm
RE: Refuting Christians with their Own Bible - by SteveII - June 28, 2016 at 11:35 pm
RE: Refuting Christians with their Own Bible - by Ayen - June 29, 2016 at 12:04 am
RE: Refuting Christians with their Own Bible - by Ayen - June 29, 2016 at 10:48 am
RE: Refuting Christians with their Own Bible - by Ayen - June 29, 2016 at 11:11 am
RE: Refuting Christians with their Own Bible - by SteveII - June 29, 2016 at 10:01 pm
RE: Refuting Christians with their Own Bible - by SteveII - June 30, 2016 at 11:13 am
RE: Refuting Christians with their Own Bible - by emjay - June 30, 2016 at 1:19 pm
RE: Refuting Christians with their Own Bible - by SteveII - July 5, 2016 at 2:40 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  I own an XBOX and that's good enough for me. Angrboda 5 493 July 9, 2023 at 8:21 pm
Last Post: Fireball
  We atheists now have our own social network rado84 16 1863 August 12, 2021 at 7:51 am
Last Post: vulcanlogician
  "You just want to be your own god"? zwanzig 48 4560 July 7, 2021 at 5:01 pm
Last Post: vulcanlogician
  why do people still have faith in god even after seeing their land turned into dust? zempo 8 1523 June 20, 2021 at 8:16 am
Last Post: onlinebiker
  How to beat a presupp at their own game Superjock 150 12539 April 16, 2021 at 4:05 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  James Randi deserves his own RIP thread. Brian37 27 2235 January 6, 2021 at 11:39 am
Last Post: RozzerusUnrelentus
Wink Refuting Theistic Argument Ricardo 40 3580 October 7, 2019 at 3:11 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Miracles and their place, and Atheists. Mystic 35 4597 October 4, 2018 at 3:53 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Famous people losing their religion: stories Fake Messiah 14 2816 May 21, 2018 at 10:13 am
Last Post: Clueless Morgan
  Make up your own atheistic quote Transcended Dimensions 56 9959 October 30, 2017 at 9:04 am
Last Post: brewer