Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 10:31 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"You just want to be your own god"?
"You just want to be your own god"?
What does this mean?

I've heard this on occasion leveled as criticism against atheists. Intuitively, I think I understand it....but when actually examining it and breaking it down, it doesn't make much sense. 

It reminds me of "you just want to sin". My response is a knee jerk, "Yeah. Those things you call sin, I want to do some of them, yes, and that freedom to choose is important to me." So, with only having a vague assumption about the "you just want to be your own god" accusation, I tentatively say, "...yes. It is true I want to be in charge of my own life, my choices, and my destiny."

Thoughts?

RE: "You just want to be your own god"?
1st, nice to see a fellow Punk on here, I was one back in the days.

2nd, I think they think that we think we're more of a god than their own god. Thing is though, we don't preport to believe that we're gods. They just can't process someone thinking that there is no god becuase it literally goes against what they've been indoctrinated in their whole lives.
[Image: 6QOh5df.jpg]
Yet another device theists use to exert social pressure on one another.

Another foolish assertion that atheists (for some reason) assume theism in their thought processes. They don't.
Best shut down answer -

"Yeah? Do you need me to be yours too?"
(July 2, 2021 at 11:14 am)Five Wrote: What does this mean?

I've heard this on occasion leveled as criticism against atheists. Intuitively, I think I understand it....but when actually examining it and breaking it down, it doesn't make much sense. 

It reminds me of "you just want to sin". My response is a knee jerk, "Yeah. Those things you call sin, I want to do some of them, yes, and that freedom to choose is important to me." So, with only having a vague assumption about the "you just want to be your own god" accusation, I tentatively say, "...yes. It is true I want to be in charge of my own life, my choices, and my destiny."

Thoughts?

I think it means that an atheist supposedly doesn't want to answer to a "higher power". Sort of a -you're not the boss of me thing.

I also think that with many religious people need for everyone to believe the same as it shores up their belief.

A lot of the so called sins in religion are simply things to feel guilty about. It's not that they are bad but it's a set of rules that are supposed to carry more importance because they supposedly came from some holy person.

Every flavor of religious belief has its own set of rules that doesn't necessarily coincide with those of the other sects. Yet many follow the same book.

“If you are the smartest person in the room, then you are in the wrong room.” — Confucius

(July 2, 2021 at 11:18 am)AkiraTheFighter24 Wrote: 1st, nice to see a fellow Punk on here, I was one back in the days.

2nd, I think they think that we think we're more of a god than their own god. Thing is though, we don't preport to believe that we're gods. They just can't process someone thinking that there is no god becuase it literally goes against what they've been indoctrinated in their whole lives.

Yes, that's it. We don't see ourselves as walking away from a god; we see literally nothing there. But in their fictional stories, blind obedience is a virtue and arrogance/pride is the number one Satanic sin.

(July 2, 2021 at 11:19 am)vulcanlogician Wrote: Yet another device theists use to exert social pressure on one another.

Another foolish assertion that atheists (for some reason) assume theism in their thought processes. They don't.

Yes, true. It's meant to be emotionally manipulative so the fact that it doesn't make logical sense to a nonbeliever is irrelevant for how it is intended to be used.

(July 2, 2021 at 11:20 am)onlinebiker Wrote: Best shut down answer -

That's a good one!

We're all raving solipsist's. Panic

(or is that narcissists?)
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
(July 2, 2021 at 1:02 pm)brewer Wrote: We're all raving solipsist's. Panic

No. I think that's just you. Wink
(July 2, 2021 at 11:20 am)onlinebiker Wrote: Best shut down answer -

My personal favourite:  "Shaddup, mortal!"
(July 2, 2021 at 1:04 pm)vulcanlogician Wrote:
(July 2, 2021 at 1:02 pm)brewer Wrote: We're all raving solipsist's. Panic

No. I think that's just you. Wink

Damn it, my conversion to hinduism is imminent.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  A thing I saw on a site that I want to comment on ShinyCrystals 5 237 March 21, 2024 at 1:33 pm
Last Post: ShinyCrystals
  I own an XBOX and that's good enough for me. Angrboda 5 421 July 9, 2023 at 8:21 pm
Last Post: Fireball
  How do I deal with the belief that maybe... Just maybe... God exists and I'm... Gentle_Idiot 75 5941 November 23, 2022 at 5:34 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  We atheists now have our own social network rado84 16 1684 August 12, 2021 at 7:51 am
Last Post: vulcanlogician
  How to beat a presupp at their own game Superjock 150 11622 April 16, 2021 at 4:05 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  James Randi deserves his own RIP thread. Brian37 27 1911 January 6, 2021 at 11:39 am
Last Post: RozzerusUnrelentus
  Do u want there to be a God? Any God? Agnostico 304 28303 December 19, 2018 at 1:20 am
Last Post: Amarok
  Do you know that homeopathy doesn't work, or do you just lack belief that it does? I_am_not_mafia 24 5089 August 25, 2018 at 4:34 am
Last Post: EgoDeath
  Make up your own atheistic quote Transcended Dimensions 56 9501 October 30, 2017 at 9:04 am
Last Post: brewer
  "God doesn't Exist just like Unicorns don't Exist?" RiddledWithFear 17 2940 December 21, 2016 at 11:17 am
Last Post: Mister Agenda