Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 4, 2024, 4:48 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to end police shootings in one easy step.
RE: How to end police shootings in one easy step.
(July 21, 2016 at 6:50 pm)Cthulhu Dreaming Wrote:
(July 21, 2016 at 6:41 pm)RoadRunner79 Wrote: I think that there are two different conversations going on here... the original general conversation, and then this incident which was linked to, in which the man was clearly complying with the officers, and trying to care for the mentally handicapped boy.  I agree, (even though I think discharging the firearm was not intentional) that the whole thing was wrong on many levels.   I do think that from what I read, you are mistaken in classifying it as just a traffic stop however. 

(Aside - I don't think the discharge was intentional - nor do I think it was accidental. It was negligent.)

When I was speaking of the "traffic stop" I was speaking towards the incident that I linked to, the shooting of an innocent man in Minneapolis just last week, who was complying with the police and was shot - and left to bleed to death - for his trouble.

(July 21, 2016 at 6:41 pm)RoadRunner79 Wrote: Not much was given in the story about the extent of his injury, or what happened afterwards when he said he was bleeding on the road.  My inclination is similar to yours, but with not much details, I don't just assume mal intent

Who is assuming malicious intent? It's entirely possible that every single one of these unjustified shootings was a result of negligence. That doesn't detract from the fact that something needs to be done about it, and to date, little has. The fact remains that in the particular case under discussion today (the therapist shot in Florida) that the whitewash has already begun and it's pretty damn clear that no one is going to be accountable.

Let's be perfectly clear here that the people who need to be held accountable are not necessarily the individual officers - but could also be those who are responsible for properly training them. It's abundantly clear that there is a widespread problem with how police deal with people with mental disabilities, aside from the racial issue. Combine that with the military weaponry that cops are increasingly being issued, and this is what you get.

Ok... A third discussion, and one that I was not aware of... So not talking about that either

Messages In This Thread
RE: How to end police shootings in one easy step. - by RoadRunner79 - July 21, 2016 at 7:21 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What do you think about the police? FlatAssembler 169 14416 December 19, 2022 at 12:49 am
Last Post: FlatAssembler
  What happens if you "tell" a police to f**k off? Freedom of speech? Duty 16 1118 April 17, 2022 at 9:35 am
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Trucker Protest - End all COVID Mandates Now HappySkeptic 44 2196 February 23, 2022 at 5:42 pm
Last Post: Disagreeable
  Police in USA arent racist, its just American culture is all Ramus932 10 873 June 14, 2020 at 1:49 am
Last Post: Zepp
  Prague Mayor under police protection Mr Greene 4 458 April 28, 2020 at 6:21 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  [Serious] Kuala Lumpur Islamic summit: did the night of the vassals began to end? WinterHold 16 1196 January 2, 2020 at 12:49 pm
Last Post: Deesse23
  The End Of the Pathologization Of Intersex Amarok 1 483 July 7, 2019 at 4:00 am
Last Post: onlinebiker
  Trump Claims He Can Use Executive Order to End Birthright Citizenship Seraphina 43 3353 November 2, 2018 at 9:44 pm
Last Post: brewer
  It's Just One Vote and It's Just One Carbon Footprint Duty 16 1084 October 26, 2018 at 8:59 pm
Last Post: brewer
  How will the Trump Presidency end? (Poll) TheBeardedDude 55 15067 October 18, 2018 at 11:26 am
Last Post: Alan V