Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 6, 2024, 7:20 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Donald Trump manages to be more sensible on Syria than Hilary
RE: Donald Trump manages to be more sensible on Syria than Hilary
(October 12, 2016 at 8:01 pm)Rhythm Wrote: Well, since they're stalled in a quagmire against -actual- isis forces,, and seem to be cheifly engaged in creating more radicals out of moderates, for whatever misguided reason..why would I expect a different result out of their involvement in syria than the one we just achieved out of iraq?  Trouble is, that all the radicals they make will be our problem (and the worlds problem)...you see we created isis, remember?

See, I don't think that all the radicals will hate America for allowing Russia in (if they don't already!). I think that if it's Russian attack bombers doing the dirty work, that's where the mud's gonna stick, mostly. Yes, these radicals may be the world's problem, but so long as they're in Syria shooting at Russians, are they ours? Should we hunt them up and invite them to a duel? No. As Sun-Tzu wrote, never interrupt an enemy in the act of making a mistake. The Russians are digging into a war that's been running for five years and shows little sign of ending.

(October 12, 2016 at 8:01 pm)Rhythm Wrote: It's a useful dumpster for russian forces.  They get to make the same problem bigger and wash their hands.  What balance, what dirty work of ours are they doing?  

Writing down extremist forces, and preoccupying them.

(October 12, 2016 at 8:01 pm)Rhythm Wrote: Assad is, saying that syrians are concerned is a stretch.  Those people -are- syrians.  Again, the people in aleppo, not isis.

No doubt it's a humanitarian crisis. But Syrians are concerned enough to flee, at mortal consequence in too many occasions, for their own concerns. I don't think it's a "stretch" at all to say they're concerned. Indeed, that sort of drain from their own country spells worse for its future, and buttresses your own point. But -- what decisive action can we take that you'd recommend? What can we do, in our opinion?

I think that nothing we can do will change anything, unless we are willing to engage in another ten-year deployment and throw another 5,000 lives and a couple of trillion dollars down the drain.

How'd that work out in Iraq?

(October 12, 2016 at 8:01 pm)Rhythm Wrote: ....but we're -not- getting what we want, not even a little bit..out of russian involvement in syria, and ultimately the russians won't absorb any opprobrium other than that which they've already deemed acceptable unless we (as in the world) pile it on over aleppo.  I feel like it doesn't matter how many links I drop...we're discussing some fantasy scenario that isn't happening as though it should inform policy about what -is- happening......?

Oh, I'm not fantasizing. What I'm doing is arguing to stay out of a fight that is not ours to begin with. We are getting something out of Russian involvement there (see above for tie-down etc); not much, admittedly, but we are letting two adversaries have at each other. It's a shame that civilians are dying in the crossfire, but you're a retired infantryman, right? You know better than most that that is part and parcel in the bargain.

If the Russians deem that opprobrium acceptable, more power to 'em. Military power is not the only lever, and while other levers might work slower, cut pretty sharp all the same.

(October 12, 2016 at 8:01 pm)Rhythm Wrote: I already shared my opinion on that.  I don't think we could fix their problems either, but I do think we could prevent others from -continuing- to make them -worse- as they chase their own interests..which have nothing to do with ours, and do not advance ours.  Do you think that anyone should be required to offer a plan to "fix syria", just to oppose the intentional bombing of civilians?

Yes, actually if you want to stop the bombing of civilians, you're going to have to fix Syria ... because that's pretty much what the problem is, if you haven't noticed already. They are bombing civilians because the country is broken. Air Force propaganda aside, you cannot bomb someone to the negotiating table -- if people want to fight, it's going to happen.

Now, how would you propose dissuading Russia in their course of action? Be realistic. As awful as what they are doing is, the ony real alternative is to send in our own ground troops, and either put them on a tight leash to serve as targets, or open up the possibility of open war with a nation possessing nuclear arms. Is it worth that? I will refer again to the Trolley Problem. I'm not saying you must "offer a plan" ... but I am saying that there may not be any plan at all that can fix this.

How would you prevent "others" -- in this case, Russia -- from making things worse, without provoking a wider war with a nuclear power?

(October 12, 2016 at 8:01 pm)Rhythm Wrote: If all a dirtbag has to do is threaten to get even shittier when we oppose warcrimes then whats the fucking point?  That's an endorsement of  appeasing belligerents.  It hasn't, historically, been all that successful at either stopping warcrimes or preventing war.

I think you're misunderstanding me. I'm speaking from a strategic and not emotional viewpoint. I share your distress at the suffering Syrians are enduring; I know a couple here with family back there and wish I could give more than kind words. But I'm talking in terms of American strategy. In this case, we cannot stop the dirtbag from being a dirtbag. But what we can do is make sure the blood sticks to his hands.

You want justice? Get thee to a courtroom. I'll happily testify to the shittiness of your accused in this case. But I doubt it will do much. And bombs won't either, because all you'll do is widen the conflict.

Trolley Problem.

(October 12, 2016 at 8:01 pm)Rhythm Wrote: At least, in this case, putin (and every single person under him) would have to be a madman to do anything that lead to war with the us, even if he could blame us for it all day long.

I think you're imposing your own thinking onto the issue. Putin's gauging is very close to the mark. He knows we suffer imperial overstretch; he knows we can't even afford to replace a 30-year-old tank. Could we beat them in a short Syrian war? No doubt, no doubt at all -- my high-flyin' Air Force will make sure of that. Smile

The real question is -- is such a war in our national interest?

I don't think it is.

(October 12, 2016 at 8:01 pm)Rhythm Wrote:  That the spectre of a war with russia even arises is ridiculous.  Russia wants this grab so long as it doesn't cost them the castle.  They're not going to risk -everything- just to fuck around in syria..they'll keep this shit up as long as there's no real opposition and that's all.

The problem with this reasoning is that the only thing that can stop Russia is ... wait for it ... an act of war. That's kinda why the spectre of war arises in this conversation. You ain't gonna stop them with chocolates and gift bags.

Perhaps if you floated your preferred solution, this conversation could be clarified? What do you think we should do to fix the situation in Aleppo?

Messages In This Thread
RE: Donald Trump manages to be more sensible on Syria than Hilary - by Thumpalumpacus - October 12, 2016 at 9:27 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Donald Trump is the best American president that USA has ever had Edge92 21 1907 June 4, 2021 at 6:57 pm
Last Post: Nay_Sayer
  Donald Trump and Melania test positive for Coronavirus zebo-the-fat 42 3106 October 4, 2020 at 6:19 pm
Last Post: GUBU
  Are more Trump signs indicative of Trump winning? Dingo 15 1136 October 1, 2020 at 5:31 pm
Last Post: onlinebiker
  A Bigger Problem Than Trump DeistPaladin 15 801 September 15, 2020 at 5:34 pm
Last Post: outtathereligioncloset
  "Defeating Trump is more important than all of us" Foxaèr 44 4034 March 15, 2020 at 7:19 am
Last Post: Chad32
  Donald Trump Officially Impeached! Rev. Rye 118 8632 December 28, 2019 at 6:51 am
Last Post: downbeatplumb
  My Video about Donald Trump Banning Huawei FlatAssembler 7 804 September 30, 2019 at 4:04 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  How Richard Neal (D-MA) is helping Donald Trump ReptilianPeon 0 348 August 11, 2019 at 3:56 am
Last Post: ReptilianPeon
  Do ( D )s sell more guns than ( R )s? onlinebiker 170 13643 February 22, 2019 at 2:20 pm
Last Post: Amarok
  Trump VS Trump (not exactly political news but I have no idea where to post this) Cepheus Ace 0 37136 February 12, 2019 at 2:15 am
Last Post: Cepheus Ace