Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: October 1, 2024, 3:59 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Donald Trump manages to be more sensible on Syria than Hilary
RE: Donald Trump manages to be more sensible on Syria than Hilary
(October 13, 2016 at 12:34 am)Rhythm Wrote: I'm not sure that chips with the assad family are worth much.  Those chips are a direct and current cause for the continued status that they -seem- to want to shed.  In any case, the ultimate winner in syria is going to owe the russians, if the russians are part of the coalition that installs them.  That's the basis of loyalty for assad as well.

@Thump

We're capable of offering something that's worth a hell of alot to russia, that goes beyond base security (and how secure is a base that erdogan is rattling sabers at if you;ve turned yourself into a pariah state through warcrimes?).  I'm not proposing that they step away from victory, which isn't secure or a given in any case, but that they step onto the victors podium with someone other than assad.  They're already cultivating rebel groups willing to deal.  Why not deal with them, and cut assad out?  Why not be seen /w the US, brokering a peace that benefits them...the us who has already supported those rebel groups?  Or, I suppose, they can continue to be outcasts, languishing in sanctions...but you know...have assads syria as an ally...for all that's worth.

I hope your view is borne out. I'll confess being less sanguine; we've tried just recently to get "our" rebels to toe the line, to no avail. I suspect part of the reason for our failure in that respect is the legacy of Iraq; between how we left the Shi'ites in Southern Iraq in the lurch in 1991, and how we broke that entire nation starting in 03, I don't see those rebels placing much hope in us -- we'an arms source, not an ally, I think.

Now, Russia? Do they place much value on our opinion? I doubt it. Weak as they are conventionally, they probably think that possessing nuclear arms means that they will sit at whatever table they damned well please ... and they're probably right. They cover about 1/7 the Earth's landmass. We can make them a pariah nation diplomatically, perhaps, but the brute fact is they will keep on selling their oil and minerals and going about their business. This is a country, remember, that had no compunctions over supplying SAMs that shot down an airliner and tried to cover it up after the fact. As you suggest, we should deal with them -- indeed, we must. But in dealing with them, we have to assess who holds the stronger hand. And our hand is pretty weak.

I'm a notably shitty poker player, and by everything I've seen of you, I'd guess you probably sling some good 5-card stud, so that might probably explain our differing views. I fold on a shit hand to minimize losses. And we have a shit hand in Syria ... the only players we support are noted for turning their weapons over to ISIS and going face-down into the dirt, aside from five guys (not the ones running the burger joint) we trained and equipped for half-a-billion dollars.

If we want a say in any peace deal there, we will have to pony up troops, bombs, and balls. We haven't done that so far, and to be honest, that ain't a hill I'd want to die on. I say let the Russians expend capital -- both blood and money -- and, if they fix the mess, great. If they get bogged down, and bog down a shitload of extremists while doing so, well, I'll spare them a little heartbreak.

When you've got two adversaries fighting each other, and lack the power to impose your own peace, let them weaken each other.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Donald Trump manages to be more sensible on Syria than Hilary - by Thumpalumpacus - October 13, 2016 at 2:32 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Donald Trump is the best American president that USA has ever had Edge92 21 2379 June 4, 2021 at 6:57 pm
Last Post: Nay_Sayer
  Donald Trump and Melania test positive for Coronavirus zebo-the-fat 42 3707 October 4, 2020 at 6:19 pm
Last Post: Pat Mustard
  Are more Trump signs indicative of Trump winning? Dingo 15 1333 October 1, 2020 at 5:31 pm
Last Post: onlinebiker
  A Bigger Problem Than Trump DeistPaladin 15 1049 September 15, 2020 at 5:34 pm
Last Post: outtathereligioncloset
  "Defeating Trump is more important than all of us" Silver 44 4736 March 15, 2020 at 7:19 am
Last Post: Chad32
  Donald Trump Officially Impeached! Rev. Rye 118 10401 December 28, 2019 at 6:51 am
Last Post: downbeatplumb
  My Video about Donald Trump Banning Huawei FlatAssembler 7 922 September 30, 2019 at 4:04 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  How Richard Neal (D-MA) is helping Donald Trump ReptilianPeon 0 374 August 11, 2019 at 3:56 am
Last Post: ReptilianPeon
  Do ( D )s sell more guns than ( R )s? onlinebiker 170 16805 February 22, 2019 at 2:20 pm
Last Post: Amarok
  Trump VS Trump (not exactly political news but I have no idea where to post this) Cepheus Ace 0 37461 February 12, 2019 at 2:15 am
Last Post: Cepheus Ace