Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: September 28, 2024, 7:50 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
If you have a question about god, ask an atheist
RE: If you have a question about god, ask an atheist
(May 30, 2011 at 2:35 pm)FaithNoMore Wrote: I've never understood why Christians claim Jesus' teachings to be so 'profound.' All he was really doing, if he even existed, was spreading Buddhist philosophy to the west. In fact some people theorize that during the chunks of his life that were missing from the bible, Jesus spent time in Buddhist monestaries. Telling everybody to be nice to each other wasn't as profound or earth shattering as Christians make it out to seem.

He didn't tell everybody to be nice to each other as other atheists point out when it's convenient, being as they are often double minded and incoherent. Most can contradict themselves in the same thread. Today Jesus is telling his disciples to kill everybody, and tomorrow he's telling them to be nice. Our God is intolerant today, and tomorrow he saves all kinds of evil people. This is called "logic" and "critical thinking." Not

Quote:Also, when defending your religion, you shouldn't quote someone like Jefferson. He may have liked Jesus' teachings, but he despised your religion as a whole.

I don't need him to defend anything. I merely pointed out he separated the Baby from the bathwater as I do and atheists, with rare exceptions, don't. Atheists don't think about Jesus vs Christianity as Jefferson did, or the other founders did.

Quote:-Thomas Jefferson, letter to Richard Price, Jan. 8, 1789 (Richard Price had written to TJ on Oct. 26. about the harm done by religion and wrote "Would not Society be better without Such religions? Is Atheism less pernicious than Demonism?")

Jesus had the same regard for religion as Jefferson, and myself, and might call some Christians a brood of vipers for all I know. Religion is evil. You also fail to note Jefferson's ability to separate the Baby from the bathwater. He did not just "like" jesus' teachings. That's a straw man. He called them "the most sublime." That means profound. But you have to actually think to grasp the paradox, as the founders did, and Lewis, and Peck, and Gandhi BTW. He called Jesus' sacrifice "the perfect act."

Messages In This Thread
RE: If you have a question about god, ask an atheist - by RAD - June 1, 2011 at 1:23 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  I have a question about religious parents Der/die AtheistIn 22 4059 January 25, 2018 at 7:56 pm
Last Post: brewer
  There is no doubt a god, the question is what is it? Mystic 144 19603 April 11, 2017 at 10:49 am
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  A simple God question if I may. ignoramus 28 6139 February 17, 2017 at 1:23 pm
Last Post: Lek
  Scientific evidence of God by an atheist (Where mankind is one likely type of God) ProgrammingGodJordan 324 57514 November 22, 2016 at 10:44 am
Last Post: Chas
  Question's for God. ScienceAf 315 38642 September 20, 2016 at 10:50 am
Last Post: Expired
  Even if you choose not to believe in god, you’re actually believing in god Blueyedlion 160 20629 June 5, 2016 at 6:07 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Question from my friend about existence of God timbangu 33 8762 November 3, 2015 at 2:38 am
Last Post: TheRocketSurgeon
  Question for Theists: The Proble with Thanking God Rhondazvous 43 9796 October 25, 2015 at 3:33 pm
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  God is love. God is just. God is merciful. Chad32 62 21591 October 21, 2014 at 9:55 am
Last Post: Cheerful Charlie
  I have a question about noah's flood. Lemonvariable72 113 30774 October 2, 2013 at 10:16 pm
Last Post: Bad Writer