Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 8, 2024, 7:14 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Is It Possible for Humanity to Create a Peaceful World with Religion in it?
RE: Is It Possible for Humanity to Create a Peaceful World with Religion in it?
Thanks for your candid and direct response, Rhythm. 

Rhythm Wrote:Can society create a world that acknowledges that one of those differences is violence and aggressiveness?  Or is that the one verboten thing that must be eradicated...reverse adolf style, lol? 

Or, to put it another way...when did we become such pansies?  We never seem comfortable acknowledging the value of otherwsie negatively perceived traits, as in the relentless and aggressive assualt on some unfinished job - plenty of homeless and hungry in the world that could use houses and kibble, or the merciless slaughter of pests and disease vectors.  It's all kumbayah and avoidance nowadays...even avoiding bad sounding words, like violence, aggression, assertiveness.  I;m sure they can be, and would be, scrubbed for the examples above.  Doing those things..that's not [insert negatively valued attribute here].

OFC, I'd mention decisive miltary action against despots the world over as yet another way to increase the peace, but for many...that would be too far into negative territory despite it's effectiveness.  These dreams of world peace, as it were...in addition to having their origins in fantasy always seem to be comprised of further fantasy even when they're divorced from that tree.  We'd prefer to imagine than to effect, if the action seems counter-intuitive to the ideal.

All of this being a long winded way of slightly rephrasing the question you asked.  -Is- the existence of the sort of conflict we may have in mind negative?  Unless we can get a list togther, or a line..wherein one side is negative and the other isn't...and unambiguosly so, both the questions and the answers will be...effectively, meaningless....we can't even be sure we're all discussing the same things.

I'm sorry sir, but I disagree with the part in bold.  I think my post and yours have just illustrated an important point relating to the challenge of communicating effectively and clearly with others; we often try to make sense of others via our own truths and thinking patterns.  However, it is very likely that others may have a different way of seeing things, which is irregular for us but is completely normal for them.

Rhythm Wrote:It's all kumbayah and avoidance nowadays...even avoiding bad sounding words, like violence, aggression, assertiveness.  I;m sure they can be, and would be, scrubbed for the examples above.  Doing those things..that's not [insert negatively valued attribute here].

Avoidance and being artificially kumbayah are poor ways to manage difference; IMO, people only grow resentful and will eventually renew their conflict in the future.

Rhythm Wrote:These dreams of world peace, as it were...in addition to having their origins in fantasy always seem to be comprised of further fantasy even when they're divorced from that tree.  We'd prefer to imagine than to effect, if the action seems counter-intuitive to the ideal.

I'm not interested in fantasy.  Can we create a realistic way for people to peacefully manage their differences?  If this is ultimately going to be attributed to fantasy or wishful thinking, then is this the result of it being an objective fact, or is it a result of personal opinions, sir?

Rhythm Wrote:Unless we can get a list togther, or a line..wherein one side is negative and the other isn't...and unambiguosly so, both the questions and the answers will be...effectively, meaningless....we can't even be sure we're all discussing the same things.

IMO, I do not think that you and I are on the same page here; I do not think that we are discussing the same things.  Hence, I can only imagine how much of a challenge this would be on a worldly scale.  Do you have any suggestions, sir?

Again, thanks for your candid and direct response, Rhythm. I look forward to reading your response, sir.  Live long and prosper.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Is It Possible for Humanity to Create a Peaceful World with Religion in it? - by Kernel Sohcahtoa - November 2, 2016 at 11:40 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Serious] Moral Obligations toward Possible Worlds Neo-Scholastic 93 6105 May 23, 2021 at 1:43 am
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  A timeless being cannot create mcc1789 125 12373 August 29, 2019 at 1:01 am
Last Post: GrandizerII
  Is a higher level of thought possible? Macoleco 8 1007 June 10, 2019 at 2:01 pm
Last Post: no one
  Is it possible for a person to be morally neutral? Der/die AtheistIn 10 2080 October 15, 2017 at 7:14 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Is Humanity Ready for First Contact? Kernel Sohcahtoa 69 5830 October 16, 2016 at 6:17 am
Last Post: Athene
  If a supernatural intelligence did create the universe..... maestroanth 12 2123 April 20, 2016 at 8:36 pm
Last Post: bennyboy
  Secular Humanism and Humanity: What are they? Ignorant 80 23849 March 22, 2015 at 6:45 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Possible Worlds and Causal Closure Neo-Scholastic 2 906 March 28, 2014 at 12:59 pm
Last Post: Alex K
  Who create God? Little Rik 95 21890 December 12, 2013 at 5:19 am
Last Post: Angrboda
  Possible is not necessarily possible. Mystic 13 3546 August 22, 2013 at 9:37 am
Last Post: MindForgedManacle