Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 5:30 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Possible is not necessarily possible.
Possible is not necessarily possible.
I think what is possible isn't necessarily possible.

This is because we can say "This may or may not be possible" and from a sense of the word it would be a possibility, even though from another sense, this possibility maybe impossible.

As for ontological possibilities, it's actually the same thing. For all we know perspective, an ontologically possibility maybe possible or may not be possible.

Also, it maybe things like magic or souls, are ontologically impossible without God, and it maybe ontologically from all we know perspective, that things outside of space and physical world, cannot exist.

Therefore ontological possibilities are not necessarily possible.

Therefore, the first premise that leads to the counter intuitive premise from modal logic that "What's possibly necessarily, is necessarily" to me seems false.

Thus the conclusion which is counter intuitive is not proven to me.
RE: Possible is not necessarily possible.
I am thinking that you have met the probable and possible?

Anything is possible, the probability of said anything happening is limited and the fact that you can "do a thing" doesn't necessarily equate with you actually "should do a thing"

Is this your dilemma?
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
(August 21, 2013 at 9:30 am)KichigaiNeko Wrote: Is this your dilemma?

No. I just don't think the premise that leads to "what is possibly necessarily, then is necessarily" is true.

I don't think what is possible is necessarily possible, because the word possibility is sometimes used to denote things that are impossible.

For example, in math, you show a possible hypothesis, then go to show it's impossible by proof of contradiction.
(August 21, 2013 at 9:55 am)MysticKnight Wrote:
(August 21, 2013 at 9:30 am)KichigaiNeko Wrote: Is this your dilemma?

No. I just don't think the premise that leads to "what is possibly necessarily, then is necessarily" is true.

But then it would require a set of circumstances to make it true?

(August 21, 2013 at 9:55 am)MysticKnight Wrote: I don't think what is possible is necessarily possible, because the word possibility is sometimes used to denote things that are impossible.

So is the word belief and faith. You seem to be getting caught up in semantics...the worshipping of words. Is this your new god?

(August 21, 2013 at 9:55 am)MysticKnight Wrote: For example, in math, you show a possible hypothesis, then go to show it's impossible by proof of contradiction.

Why should this bother you? It is to my understanding (I am no mathematician) how we come to understand what is probable, possible and pragmatically feasible to do
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
When something is "probable" it has a success rate greater than 50%, yes? My memory from high school is hazy. Not most probable, just probable.
What if C-A-T really spelt "dog?"
Christian apologetics is the art of rolling a dog turd in sugar and selling it as a donut.
(August 21, 2013 at 9:55 am)MysticKnight Wrote: I just don't think the premise that leads to "what is possibly necessarily, then is necessarily" is true.

I don't think what is possible is necessarily possible, because the word possibility is sometimes used to denote things that are impossible.

For example, in math, you show a possible hypothesis, then go to show it's impossible by proof of contradiction.

Sounds like you've been thinking about necessary beings? I'm never impressed with arguments for god because of the logical extension of certain ideas or words.
Anything logically possible is anything that cannot be proven to contradict itself or otherwise be proven impossible through proof by contradiction.

In other words, if you can't prove it to be impossible, then it's logically possible, and that's that. It necessarily is, according to the definition of logical possibility.

As for what is necessarily true, that's anything logically or mathematically proven or anything tautologically true, etc.

As for probability, that's more down to science and statistics and odds and mathmetical theory.
(August 21, 2013 at 9:26 am)MysticKnight Wrote: I think what is possible isn't necessarily possible.

This is because we can say "This may or may not be possible" and from a sense of the word it would be a possibility, even though from another sense, this possibility maybe impossible.

As for ontological possibilities, it's actually the same thing. For all we know perspective, an ontologically possibility maybe possible or may not be possible.

Also, it maybe things like magic or souls, are ontologically impossible without God, and it maybe ontologically from all we know perspective, that things outside of space and physical world, cannot exist.

Therefore ontological possibilities are not necessarily possible.

Therefore, the first premise that leads to the counter intuitive premise from modal logic that "What's possibly necessarily, is necessarily" to me seems false.

Thus the conclusion which is counter intuitive is not proven to me.

What do you mean by "necessarily possible"?

When talking about possibility, we make a statement such as "Given premise A, B is possible".

So, does necessarily possible mean something like "If, given any imaginable premise A, B is possible, then B is necessarily possible"?

Or do you mean "Only if given A, B is possible, then A is necessarily possible"?
It's possible that I don't have a clue what you are talking about;
and it may be impossible for me to ever understand the probability of being able to do so.
Thinking

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Serious] Moral Obligations toward Possible Worlds Neo-Scholastic 93 5291 May 23, 2021 at 1:43 am
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Is a higher level of thought possible? Macoleco 8 943 June 10, 2019 at 2:01 pm
Last Post: no one
  Is it possible for a person to be morally neutral? Der/die AtheistIn 10 2013 October 15, 2017 at 7:14 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Is It Possible for Humanity to Create a Peaceful World with Religion in it? Kernel Sohcahtoa 64 8260 November 9, 2016 at 12:42 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Possible Worlds and Causal Closure Neo-Scholastic 2 887 March 28, 2014 at 12:59 pm
Last Post: Alex K
  Is Secular Liberation Possible?? Katie23 9 3224 August 4, 2013 at 8:59 pm
Last Post: ManMachine
  Is it possible to be truly satisifed? CleanShavenJesus 18 3146 June 15, 2013 at 11:57 am
Last Post: The Magic Pudding
  Question about two possible attributes of God FallentoReason 43 10431 June 6, 2013 at 5:10 pm
Last Post: bennyboy
  Is God possible? Mystic 4 1507 March 3, 2013 at 3:08 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
Question Is absolute 'nothing' really possible and/or coherent? Tea Earl Grey Hot 49 19737 April 22, 2012 at 10:39 am
Last Post: Norfolk And Chance