Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 2:55 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Possible Worlds and Causal Closure
Possible Worlds and Causal Closure
Many thought problems include ‘possible world’ scenarios, in which if A were otherwise than it actually I was or currently is, then B would have been or currently be otherwise. It seems to me that possible worlds are incompatible with causal closure. Under causal closer the world could be nothing other than what it already is and there could never be another world other than the current one. Therefore if one commits to the idea that things could actually have been or currently be otherwise, then you must also commit to causal closure.

As I see it the validity of a thought problem depends on whether the proposed possible world is, well, actually possible. Since causal closure makes other worlds impossible, it seems to me that those committed to causal closure should refrain from using possible world arguments except to show the impossibility of the imagined alternate universe.

For example, Chalmers proposes a zombie world devoid of mental properties. From this he intends to show the impotency of mental properties. However, is Chalmers’s thought problem instructive in any meaningful way? We do not live in a zombie world, so the argument that mental properties are impotent, simply because it could be otherwise, has no heft.

Do I accurately understand the link between possible worlds and causal closure or am I missing something?
RE: Possible Worlds and Causal Closure
(March 28, 2014 at 12:48 pm)ChadWooters Wrote: Under causal closer the world could be nothing other than what it already is and there could never be another world other than the current one. Therefore if one commits to the idea that things could actually have been or currently be otherwise, then you must also commit to causal closure.
That seems to be a pretty haughty statement.
Where is the rule book that says no other worlds are possible? What's the reason to believe no other worlds are possible?
RE: Possible Worlds and Causal Closure
Causal closure as a concept to me seems either trivial or wrong depending on how you define physical. Could you elaborate a bit on how you use the term and how your argument goes?
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Why is murder wrong if Many Worlds Interpretation of Quantum Mechanics is true? FlatAssembler 52 3926 August 7, 2022 at 8:51 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  [Serious] Moral Obligations toward Possible Worlds Neo-Scholastic 93 5785 May 23, 2021 at 1:43 am
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Is a higher level of thought possible? Macoleco 8 963 June 10, 2019 at 2:01 pm
Last Post: no one
  Is it possible for a person to be morally neutral? Der/die AtheistIn 10 2046 October 15, 2017 at 7:14 pm
Last Post: brewer
  "What is the Lord of the Worlds?" Mystic 40 3922 October 1, 2017 at 7:12 pm
Last Post: Chad32
  Is It Possible for Humanity to Create a Peaceful World with Religion in it? Kernel Sohcahtoa 64 8384 November 9, 2016 at 12:42 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Trying to Understand Many-Worlds Interpretation Better GrandizerII 45 6905 November 29, 2014 at 5:05 pm
Last Post: Alex K
  Possible is not necessarily possible. Mystic 13 3429 August 22, 2013 at 9:37 am
Last Post: MindForgedManacle
  Is Secular Liberation Possible?? Katie23 9 3235 August 4, 2013 at 8:59 pm
Last Post: ManMachine
  Is it possible to be truly satisifed? CleanShavenJesus 18 3161 June 15, 2013 at 11:57 am
Last Post: The Magic Pudding