Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 22, 2024, 11:15 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hilarious! Trump having problems finding artists.
RE: Hilarious! Trump having problems finding artists.
(December 26, 2016 at 10:31 am)abaris Wrote: In what way compared to the far right? The last time I witnessed hurtful leftists extremism was in the 70ies when they provided the terrorists. Going by the German example having a populous right and a populous leftzt, the left is still less harmfull since it doesn't target entire groups as being inferior. It targets the capitalist system in an unrealistic way. But that's about all there is.

The far right on the other hand survives and thrives on scapegoating and fear mongering, which I consider to be the far more dangerous approach. Both usually have in common that they have no serious economic, educational or political concepts outside their populous talking points.

How are we defining "extremists" here, because I'm talking about beliefs rather than actions. There are plenty of people on the left who hold extreme opinions and express them as loudly as those on the right. For example, those in support of banning GMOs, nuclear power, etc, or those who hold that only women can get raped, and that male college students accused of rape should be investigated and judged by the college rather than the police. There are also those who believe in "safe spaces" in college campuses where freedom of speech is suppressed for fear of upsetting people. That's just a few opinions that leftist extremists have.

(December 26, 2016 at 11:00 am)Tazzycorn Wrote: Currently this is the kind of stuff characterised as far left (including by a lot on here trying to establish a false equivalency of extremes in US and UK politics, mainly because they don't want to see how fucked up their ruling systems are*):
Universal heathcare
Non-profit state public transport
Half way effective financial regulation
Employees union rights
Regulations designed to protect the environment

Forty years ago these things were largely non controversial outside the political far right and hard right, because most politicians lived through the consequences of not doing them and were not so easily bought.

*Not saying other parliamentary systems are less fucked up, but most people in, say, Ireland recognise that the parties in their country are very much pn ther right.

The left =/= leftist extremism. See my response to abaris above for some examples of the things that leftist extremists believe in.

(December 26, 2016 at 12:16 pm)Rhythm Wrote: Where are they, lol?   Wink

Our "leftists" are the rest of the worlds center right.

On some things, sure. However there are plenty of actually extreme beliefs that leftists can hold, and I've listed a few above. I'm not arguing that these are held by all leftists, or all people on the left (which is why I'm labelling them "extreme").

(December 26, 2016 at 1:11 pm)alpha male Wrote:
(December 25, 2016 at 1:00 am)Tiberius Wrote: This doesn't explain the numerous people like me, who are not liberals but aren't conservatives either, and find most of the "names" accurate descriptions. We are talking about a guy who has made statements / actions which are racist, sexist, and ableist.

Where do you score on here:

http://www.gotoquiz.com/politics/politic...-quiz.html

You are a centrist social libertarian.
Right: 0.52, Libertarian: 6.52

[Image: 21x33.gif]

I'm a pragmatic libertarian. Maximizing liberty should be the ultimate goal, provided that they don't have adverse effects on a person's life. If it can be shown that sacrificing liberty can increase a person's livelihood, that sacrifice is worth it, IMO. My go-to example on this is universal healthcare. Numerous countries have universal healthcare, which deprives people's liberty in the sense that (1) they are forced to pay for the service via taxes and (2) there is little to no choice in health insurance providers (e.g. even if private insurers exist, a person still has to pay for the government run healthcare via their taxes). However, in all of these countries it is clear that universal healthcare outperforms countries with private healthcare systems when it is funded properly, and the cost is often lower for everyone too. So in this case, sacrificing liberty increases the health and livelihood of society in general, and is a good thing.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Hilarious! Trump having problems finding artists. - by GUBU - December 26, 2016 at 11:00 am
RE: Hilarious! Trump having problems finding artists. - by Tiberius - December 26, 2016 at 2:25 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Are more Trump signs indicative of Trump winning? Dingo 15 1163 October 1, 2020 at 5:31 pm
Last Post: onlinebiker
  Trump VS Trump (not exactly political news but I have no idea where to post this) Cepheus Ace 0 37209 February 12, 2019 at 2:15 am
Last Post: Cepheus Ace
Video This is hilarious, but also very disturbing at the same time GODZILLA 10 2530 June 11, 2018 at 3:42 pm
Last Post: Amarok
  Lying Sack Of Shit Already Having Memory Problems Minimalist 38 5931 January 4, 2018 at 3:56 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  The Republicunt Bullshit Artists Come Out In The Open Minimalist 16 2649 August 25, 2017 at 7:05 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Trump's blame game -- absolutely hilarious. Jehanne 3 569 March 25, 2017 at 10:57 am
Last Post: abaris
  I'm awfully confused: how do Trump supporters relate to Trump NuclearEnergy 11 3240 March 7, 2017 at 4:24 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Is Trump's election bad for Trump's businesses? Jehanne 22 4280 November 15, 2016 at 1:03 am
Last Post: CWoods
  Having a hard time really knowing who to trust in politics anymore EruptedCarcassBloat 32 4518 October 19, 2016 at 12:14 am
Last Post: Macoleco
  Donald Trump's doctor regrets saying "Trump will be the healtheist president" ReptilianPeon 3 1732 August 30, 2016 at 6:32 pm
Last Post: ReptilianPeon