Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 3, 2024, 5:41 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Witness/insight claims of the authors of the Bible
RE: Witness/insight claims of the authors of the Bible
(January 12, 2017 at 12:51 pm)Minimalist Wrote: Read Bart Ehrman's "Jesus Interrupted."  Best source for the bullshit that makes up the fucking NT.

Thanks for the recommendation Smile Now bought for my Kindle Smile

(January 12, 2017 at 1:13 pm)Rhythm Wrote:
(January 12, 2017 at 1:01 pm)Emjay Wrote: Cool. Fair enough... I know content can be informative of author as well, but I was hoping to start at the top of the root as it were... if that makes sense; dismiss that which can be dismissed easily without much further inquiry, and then what remains, analyze more thoroughly, but always working outwards from source as highest priority to content as lowest priority. A bit like how I do my tidying (KonMari if you've ever heard of that)... discard everything unless it gives you 'joy'... so drill down to what's important in your life and get rid of everything else.

So have you done a lot of this then? Taken a reductionistic/reverse engineering approach to the Bible?

The trouble in that approach is that what you deem easily dismissable may be the most informative part.  When it comes to myth and legend, the content often is the root.  Early efforts at anthropology failed so often on those grounds that it became methodological to dispense with the notion that the observer could reliably determine what was and was not easily dismissable.  

Have I done alot of it?  As a lifelong hobby and interest, sure.  Read alot of books, took some courses, married an anthropologist with a big mouth.  I'm definitely not the guy to write a treatise on the subject, just knowledgeable enough to understand and appreciate the field.

Fair enough... advice duly noted and taken on board. So scrap what I said before; content can't be ignored. It's very interesting what you're saying... content often is the root.

Lifelong interest... that's all I wanted to know Wink

Messages In This Thread
Witness/insight claims of the authors of the Bible - by emjay - January 12, 2017 at 12:00 pm
RE: Witness/insight claims of the authors of the Bible - by emjay - January 12, 2017 at 1:15 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Man claims to hunt non-binaries Ferrocyanide 10 1261 April 6, 2022 at 8:47 am
Last Post: onlinebiker
  Without citing the bible, what marks the bible as the one book with God's message? Whateverist 143 44959 March 31, 2022 at 7:05 am
Last Post: Gwaithmir
  Victims 'told not to report' Jehovah's Witness child abuse zebo-the-fat 13 2811 November 20, 2017 at 10:42 pm
Last Post: vulcanlogician
  Religious claims that get under your skin Abaddon_ire 59 7572 November 10, 2017 at 10:19 am
Last Post: emjay
  Do Extraordinary Claims Require Extraordinary Evidence? SteveII 643 137459 August 12, 2017 at 1:36 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  Methodist Church apology over abuse claims zebo-the-fat 11 2196 May 30, 2015 at 9:14 am
Last Post: robvalue
  i noticed this with the bibles authors dyresand 0 956 January 29, 2015 at 1:55 pm
Last Post: dyresand
  Illinois bible colleges: "We shouldn't have to follow state standards because bible!" Esquilax 34 7513 January 23, 2015 at 12:29 pm
Last Post: Spooky
  Abuse claims at former Catholic boarding school zebo-the-fat 23 7082 August 24, 2013 at 9:18 am
Last Post: ThomM
  Talk show host claims Satan made actor look like Obama. Ziploc Surprise 4 3339 March 24, 2013 at 1:14 pm
Last Post: Ziploc Surprise