Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 23, 2024, 4:38 am

Poll: The Death Penalty
This poll is closed.
I support it
40.66%
37 40.66%
I oppose it
59.34%
54 59.34%
Total 91 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 4 Average
The Death Penalty - are you for or against it and why?
RE: The Death Penalty - are you for or against it and why?
I freely admit that while I oppose the death penalty, in cases like that which I'm now watching in Florida; State vs. Casey Anthony, a capital case, I figure if it's in place already there are some people that deserve to be killed for their crimes.

Hypocrisy may be the retort in light of that opinion and I freely accept that judgment. However, given the personality of one Casey Anthony, in the above mentioned case, the greater punishment for her would be a sentence of life without parole. She'd then suffer every day knowing as she awoke to a new morning, that she had yet another day to live in a box, within a box, within high walls. Where the Florida sun and climate is obscured by being forever in custody of the State, while controlled by higher authorities in all manner of things all the days of her life, while having to fight to survive a potential death penalty applied by fellow inmates for her crime of infanticide, and that being a reminder of what she did and thus why she's there, would then carry with her all her days. And at less of a tax payer expense than what is afforded a sentence of death.

Emotion aside, I oppose the death penalty not because it's immoral to take a human life. Rather, because the system of criminal justice has been proven to be fallible in the exercise of justice. That DNA can exonerate an innocent who's spent decades in general population or was even on death row, lends evidence that the system is not perfect.

And while that's not all that surprising, taking a life as the ultimate sentence afforded within that system precludes any chance of appeal to the justice that would set an innocent free at trial, much less after sentencing. As such, killing an innocent is murder. While jailing an innocent is a civil law suit, because the wrongly accused is alive not only to see freedom from the injustice that incarcerated them after pursuit and success in appeals, but also sends the message that wrongful conviction is a life penalty that true justice can not tolerate and as such should not murder,in the event all is not right in the process of seeking prosecution.
Because murdering an innocent precludes any chance of finding the truth and holding those responsible for a wrongful conviction accountable. There is no appeal that releases the dead from their tomb.

And in a perfect world, wrongful convictions would be investigated just as diligently as initial prosecutions. And any and all who were responsible for that miscarriage of justice would be tried and sentenced to the same fate as their victim.

It is said of the criminal justice system in America; well, it isn't perfect but it's better than most countries and it's the best we have.
That may indeed be true. However, it is at our peril as a people if we benignly accept it is the best we can do.

(edit typo. spend/spent)
"In life you can never be too kind or too fair; everyone you meet is carrying a heavy load. When you go through your day expressing kindness and courtesy to all you meet, you leave behind a feeling of warmth and good cheer, and you help alleviate the burdens everyone is struggling with."
Brian Tracy

Messages In This Thread
RE: The Death Penalty - are you for or against it and why? - by Judas BentHer - June 27, 2011 at 12:43 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  1 dollar stands firmly against 1 hryvnia. Why? Interaktive 6 425 June 23, 2021 at 5:00 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Why oh why are people on the righ so against LGBT folk? NuclearEnergy 10 2031 July 26, 2017 at 11:36 pm
Last Post: Amarok
  Why is the Democratic Party against the only person who could save them? Mystical 63 16358 June 3, 2017 at 9:25 pm
Last Post: dyresand
  This Is What You're Up Against With Drumpfucks Minimalist 20 2629 March 18, 2017 at 5:45 pm
Last Post: Tiberius
  Argument against the death penalty by a r-wing conservative Catholic_Lady 0 693 December 6, 2016 at 2:12 pm
Last Post: Catholic_Lady
  Death Penalty Vote brewer 55 9345 October 12, 2016 at 1:03 am
Last Post: Ravenshire
  Do you know why wars happens and why middle east is robbed? Safirno 12 2178 July 9, 2016 at 11:48 am
Last Post: account_inactive
  Remember Progressives.... This Is What You Are Defending Against Minimalist 19 2726 May 27, 2016 at 2:28 am
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Just another reason why I'm against guns. Foxaèr 12 1529 May 12, 2016 at 1:49 pm
Last Post: dyresand
  Views on the Death Penalty? (a poll) Catholic_Lady 171 24070 July 9, 2015 at 10:20 am
Last Post: Catholic_Lady