Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 28, 2024, 2:20 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Trying to simplify my Consciousness hypothesis
RE: Trying to simplify my Consciousness hypothesis
(February 14, 2017 at 2:37 pm)Alasdair Ham Wrote: I never understand the mystery about consciousness.

In context of this thread or Bennyboys comments? It's called an argument from ignorance. Wink

We don't know x, therefore y...and certainly not z.

@The "Why's?" of evolution, there is no why. If it's biologically possible, evolution can produce it. If it is selectively advantageous, it may persist. Doubting the advantage of consciousness is absurd on it;s face. Here we are. Top of the food chain. Masters of the Earth. Creatures that operate or react as simple machines stand little chance in the face of us. Even moderately less well developed examples of conscious creatures are at our whim.

I don't -just- smell a female and spread her legs. I experience love. I;m not only aware of my kin (and even plants possess kin selection)..I experience a deep bond of trust and dependancy. We can't help but see how this plays out advantageously for our species. We're surrounded by it, and even this..we subjectively experience...rather than regard it as an io address on a memory bank. It's love and dependence, deeply felt, that sends us into impossible scenarios to rescue the ones we love, rather than running an internal calculus and determining, rightfully, that the odds are slim to nil. Now, one might ask...couldn;t a programmer come up with a more, elegant, solution. Or set the defaults of the machine to do so. Maybe, IDK...but there was no programmer....and there are examples of life that seem to work in such a way that aren't as successful as we are...so, moot point? Conversely, it's anger and hatred that compel us to scorch the earth when we feel threatened. The evolutionary version of mutually assured destruction. We don't, commonly, see these as evolutionary advantages. Often enough, people consider their emotions to be a weakness, particularly when those emotions have been exploited or manipulated...but perhaps that's because we don't view ourselves as plainly for what we are. Just as commonly, we put up a wall between the rational and the emotional, as we put walls between love and dependency..and anger and hatred - forgetting or not acknowledging that they all derive from the same mechanism..and as best we know, by the same means. Similarly, we put up a wall between what we are and how we feel about what we are...between the brain and the experience...again, imo, forgetting or not acknowledging the same thing.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!

Messages In This Thread
Trying to simplify my Consciousness hypothesis - by Won2blv - February 13, 2017 at 11:04 pm
RE: Trying to simplify my Consciousness hypothesis - by Won2blv - February 14, 2017 at 12:04 pm
RE: Trying to simplify my Consciousness hypothesis - by DLJ - February 14, 2017 at 2:02 pm
RE: Trying to simplify my Consciousness hypothesis - by DLJ - February 14, 2017 at 8:00 am
RE: Trying to simplify my Consciousness hypothesis - by DLJ - February 14, 2017 at 12:34 am
RE: Trying to simplify my Consciousness hypothesis - by Won2blv - February 15, 2017 at 11:50 am
RE: Trying to simplify my Consciousness hypothesis - by DLJ - February 15, 2017 at 2:37 am
RE: Trying to simplify my Consciousness hypothesis - by DLJ - February 15, 2017 at 11:14 am
RE: Trying to simplify my Consciousness hypothesis - by DLJ - February 15, 2017 at 11:42 am
RE: Trying to simplify my Consciousness hypothesis - by DLJ - February 15, 2017 at 11:02 pm
RE: Trying to simplify my Consciousness hypothesis - by DLJ - February 16, 2017 at 11:22 am
RE: Trying to simplify my Consciousness hypothesis - by The Grand Nudger - February 15, 2017 at 12:25 pm
RE: Trying to simplify my Consciousness hypothesis - by emjay - February 16, 2017 at 6:23 pm
RE: Trying to simplify my Consciousness hypothesis - by emjay - February 16, 2017 at 9:33 pm
RE: Trying to simplify my Consciousness hypothesis - by emjay - February 16, 2017 at 12:57 pm
RE: Trying to simplify my Consciousness hypothesis - by DLJ - February 17, 2017 at 9:21 am
RE: Trying to simplify my Consciousness hypothesis - by emjay - February 17, 2017 at 8:26 pm
RE: Trying to simplify my Consciousness hypothesis - by emjay - February 18, 2017 at 10:29 am
RE: Trying to simplify my Consciousness hypothesis - by emjay - February 18, 2017 at 11:54 am
RE: Trying to simplify my Consciousness hypothesis - by Won2blv - February 18, 2017 at 12:57 pm
RE: Trying to simplify my Consciousness hypothesis - by emjay - February 18, 2017 at 1:37 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Good read on consciousness Apollo 41 2671 January 12, 2021 at 4:04 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  How could we trust our consciousness ?! zainab 45 4995 December 30, 2018 at 9:08 am
Last Post: polymath257
  Testing a Hypothesis about the Supernatural Bahana 103 16700 June 18, 2018 at 2:47 pm
Last Post: SteveII
  Consciousness Trilemma Neo-Scholastic 208 57169 June 7, 2017 at 5:28 pm
Last Post: bennyboy
  My thoughts on the Hard problem of consciousness Won2blv 36 5718 February 15, 2017 at 7:27 am
Last Post: bennyboy
  A hypothesis about consciousness Won2blv 12 4038 February 12, 2017 at 9:31 pm
Last Post: Won2blv
  Foundation of all Axioms the Axioms of Consciousness fdesilva 98 14408 September 24, 2016 at 4:36 pm
Last Post: Bunburryist
  Consciousness is simply an illusion emergent of a Boltzmann brain configuration.... maestroanth 36 5729 April 10, 2016 at 8:40 am
Last Post: Little lunch
  God of the gaps, magical hypothesis, philosophical meandering. schizo pantheist 36 8357 January 23, 2015 at 12:04 am
Last Post: SteelCurtain
  Trying to Understand Many-Worlds Interpretation Better GrandizerII 45 7156 November 29, 2014 at 5:05 pm
Last Post: Alex K