Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 10, 2024, 1:45 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Theists: What is the most compelling argument you have heard for Atheism?
RE: Theists: What is the most compelling argument you have heard for Atheism?
(March 20, 2017 at 3:44 pm)Mister Agenda Wrote: So how does the NT help us establish the truth of the claims in the NT? Besides ad populum, I mean.

First, I would not say this is a case of ad populum. If my argument was solely based on "people believed", you would have a point. However, I am arguing that "people who were eyewitnesses and influenced by eyewitnesses believed". Now, of course not everyone was an eyewitness of the resurrection that belonged to those first churches, but they were alive during a time that rebuttal witnesses would have abounded. While you might say that any rebuttal witnesses might have been 'edited out' of history, we do have the evidence of the tremendous growth of the church from day 1. 

Regarding size of the church, we get a clue from Tacitus, who descibing Nero in 64AD and those arrested as "an immense multitude" in Rome. 64AD is still very much within the lifetime of eyewitnesses and rebuttal witnesses. 

Regarding the general interpreting of evidence as to who Jesus might really be? There is all kinds of evidence to weigh. 

- Documentary (both actual and inferred)
- The churches, the growth, the persecution, and the occasional mention in surviving secular works.
- The characters, their actions, character, stated goals, meaning of their words, and eventual circumstances
- Jesus' own claims (explicit, implicit, connections to the OT--some of which the disciples may have never known). 
- The actual message: how it seems to fit the human condition, resonate with people, and how it does not contradict the OT--which would have required a very sophisticated mind to have navigated that. 
- Paul and his writings on application--done before the Gospels were independently written. To have them work so well together is incredible. 
- This one can't be stressed enough: the likelihood of alternate theories to explain the facts. I think it is obvious people believed from day one when Jesus was still walking around. I have never heard a alternate theory which could account for most or all of the concrete and circumstantial evidence we have. 

You could write books on any one of the points above (and people do). The point is, it is not as simple as saying "there is no evidence" There are layers upon layers of evidence that one person or another will find somewhere between uninteresting to compelling.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Theists: What is the most compelling argument you have heard for Atheism? - by SteveII - March 20, 2017 at 4:50 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Exclamation Why Atheism is Incoherent & You Aren't as Smart as You Think You Are Seax 60 5445 March 19, 2021 at 9:43 am
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  Theists: how do you account for psychopaths? robvalue 288 42687 March 5, 2021 at 6:37 am
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Theists: What do you mean when you say that God is 'perfect'? Angrboda 103 17998 March 5, 2021 at 6:35 am
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Theists, please describe how you experience your god I_am_not_mafia 161 17114 June 15, 2018 at 9:37 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Theists, Who would You Rather Have as a Neighbor Rhondazvous 23 7885 November 10, 2017 at 6:44 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  Baha'i Faith, have you heard of it? Foxaèr 22 3363 October 23, 2017 at 12:48 pm
Last Post: Harry Nevis
  Should Theists have the burden of proof at the police and court? Vast Vision 16 5332 July 10, 2017 at 1:34 pm
Last Post: Jesster
  Atheists, what are the most convincing theist arguments you heard of? SuperSentient 169 23478 April 1, 2017 at 9:43 pm
Last Post: Neo-Scholastic
  What do you think of this argument for God? SuperSentient 140 19677 March 19, 2017 at 1:19 pm
Last Post: RoadRunner79
  Theists: would you view the truth? robvalue 154 19141 December 25, 2016 at 2:29 am
Last Post: Godscreated