Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 12, 2024, 7:53 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Philosophical ideas and acting "as though"
RE: Philosophical ideas and acting "as though"
(March 25, 2017 at 11:39 pm)bennyboy Wrote: Very few scientists, for example, make it a regular mental practice to ponder the vast emptiness of even solid objects and to let that awareness inform their behavior-- doing this is simply not considered an important part of science.
It isn't important to every part of science (or every scientist).  Why would it be?  There's no need to ponder it, for example, when studying mosaic resistant cultivars or asking the question "will it blend!?!".  It is important, though, when modeling nematode migration, and so "regular practice".  I think that you'd find that in any portion of science where the resolution and realization above actually is relevant and important, it -is- regular practice.  

Quote:Very few people who believe the brain is deterministic and free will is therefore an illusion actually change their world views in a way in which this truth would matter: they still get mad when someone cuts them off in traffic, they still blame a killer or a pedophile for his actions, and so on.
-but can they help themselves, can they stop doing that or is it a deep seated compulsion...lol?

Quote:It seems to me that the scientfic method, in particular, needs formally to add one more step to its method: the application of scientific truths to the world view, and the expression of those truths in our behavior and in our laws.  We should act as though scientific truths matter as more than a catalogue of details about the world.
I agree with the last sentence despite disagreeing with those that led up to it.  There's no categorical imperative to make our world view, behaviors, or laws conform to scientific truths.  They may matter more than some people think, but that doesn't mean they matter as much as you seem to think they do, or in those instances in which you think they matter, or for the reasons you think they matter, in this post 

Quote:This would mean materialists adopting practices they currently abhor, in particular that of meditation.  By this, I don't mean seeking Nirvana or trying to achieve OBE.  I mean the habitual reflection on ideas, so frequently and with such focus that they become entrenched in the world view, and manifest in one's behaviors.
Sooooo..you mean thinking, not meditation.  We do that all the time.

Quote:Without this, philosophical or scientific ideas are just bullet points, rather than a key toward improving our lives individually and culturally.
I think we do it more than you give us credit for, for better or for worse...we just don't reach the same conclusions or positions or behaviors you feel we should.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!

Messages In This Thread
Philosophical ideas and acting "as though" - by bennyboy - March 25, 2017 at 11:39 pm
RE: Philosophical ideas and acting "as though" - by The Grand Nudger - March 26, 2017 at 8:04 am
RE: Philosophical ideas and acting "as though" - by henryp - March 30, 2017 at 12:21 pm
RE: Philosophical ideas and acting "as though" - by henryp - March 31, 2017 at 11:15 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Lightbulb Meaningful ideas and quotes *Deidre* 606 72608 June 3, 2023 at 5:09 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Video thread for interesting philosophical discussions on YouTube and elsewhere GrandizerII 2 331 August 26, 2020 at 8:43 am
Last Post: GrandizerII
  Philosophical zombies robvalue 131 16833 March 7, 2018 at 3:58 pm
Last Post: polymath257
  A Philosophical Conundrum BrianSoddingBoru4 11 1770 October 27, 2017 at 9:23 pm
Last Post: ignoramus
  Philosophical zombie. robybar 3 1636 June 8, 2017 at 8:21 am
Last Post: bennyboy
  What philosophical evidence is there against believing in non-physical entities? joseph_ 150 13066 September 3, 2016 at 11:26 am
Last Post: downbeatplumb
  Arguments for God from a purely philosophical perspective Aegon 13 3023 January 24, 2016 at 2:44 am
Last Post: robvalue
  A Great Philosophical Question. Pyrrho 26 6752 September 28, 2015 at 11:31 am
Last Post: Pyrrho
  One philosophical argument for existence of supernatural. Mystic 59 16315 July 20, 2015 at 10:01 pm
Last Post: Cato
  Philosophical Underpinnings for Rejecting God learncritic 28 9054 June 1, 2015 at 10:26 pm
Last Post: ignoramus