Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 8:43 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Philosophical Underpinnings for Rejecting God
Guys. Hello.

I understand that Atheism is a rejection of existence of God, or more broadly speaking (and correct me if I am wrong) rejection of all metaphysical realities. For example, Afterlife, Angels, Heaven/Hell, Satan, etc.

But what is the philosophical underpinning for rejection of God?

Is it Naturalism? Empiricism? Materialism?

Thanks.
RE: Philosophical Underpinnings for Rejecting God
Science.
You make people miserable and there's nothing they can do about it, just like god.
-- Homer Simpson

God has no place within these walls, just as facts have no place within organized religion.
-- Superintendent Chalmers

Science is like a blabbermouth who ruins a movie by telling you how it ends. There are some things we don't want to know. Important things.
-- Ned Flanders

Once something's been approved by the government, it's no longer immoral.
-- The Rev Lovejoy
I would say naturalism, at least in my case. For some it may be different
(May 31, 2015 at 10:18 am)learncritic Wrote: metaphysical realities.

No such thing.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
Your understanding of atheism is incorrect.  It is not the rejection of god, the afterlife, angels, heaven and hell, or satan.  
(you're welcome)

A possible philosophical underpinning for the rejection of god (for those that would reject god) might be moral/ethical objection...or just plain indifference. It's a really open ended question not entirely to do with atheism....what are the philosophical underpinnings for the rejection of chocolate ice cream?
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
What is a metaphysical reality?
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

(May 31, 2015 at 10:18 am)learncritic Wrote: Guys. Hello.

I understand that Atheism is a rejection of existence of God, or more broadly speaking (and correct me if I am wrong) rejection of all metaphysical realities. For example, Afterlife, Angels, Heaven/Hell, Satan, etc.

Thanks.
The philosophical underpinning for rejection of God is the lack of worthwhile philosophical underpinning for God.

Metaphysical is by definition not reality.  

(May 31, 2015 at 10:29 am)Alex K Wrote: What is a metaphysical reality?

It is the dumb fuck illusion that things made up in a lazy pretense of explaining an imperfectly known reality is more real than the reality it purports to explain. 
The underpinnings of a disbelief in Yahweh is the lack of evidence that can't also be used to prove every other god people have believed in.

Just look at the trees, and tell me that's not proof of God. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_nature_deities

The underpinnings in the rejection of Yahweh, if he existed, could be various things. The superior morality of most modern audiences. The fact that the followers of Yahweh have been killing each other for thousands of years over how to follow him, so how is a non believer supposed to figure anything out? Among other things.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

Thanks.

Atheism is not a philosophy.  It is a single position on a single issue:  the existence of a god or gods. Atheism is a lack of belief in a god or gods. That's all.  

It is not a general rejection of an afterlife, or any other supernatural idea although many atheists not believe in the supernatural generally.  Angels and Satan on the other hand are gods (supernaturally powerful beings) and lack of belief in them is required.

Many atheists including myself reach this position through skepticism, but it might be reached by any number of means including simply never have been indoctrinated in a religion.  No stance on naturalism, empiricism, or materialism is required.  Again, atheism is not a philosophy, it is a position on a single issue, the existence of god.

Nor is it necessary in order to be an atheist to believe that all or indeed any gods have been disproved. It is quite common to lack a belief in something's existence because that thing has not been proved and not because it's existence has been disproved.  Right now I lack a belief that there is a million dollars in my crawlspace, but I haven't proven it isn't there.  In fact is not really possible to prove the lack of existence of anything.

Nor yet is it a belief in a god coupled with a decision to reject that god.  Even if you are opposed to the only god you believe in, belief in a god would preclude you from being an atheist.  It's definitional.
If there is a god, I want to believe that there is a god.  If there is not a god, I want to believe that there is no god.
(May 31, 2015 at 11:13 am)Jenny A Wrote:

Thanks.

Atheism is not a philosophy.  It is a single position on a single issue:  the existence of a god or gods. Atheism is a lack of belief in a god or gods. That's all.  

It is not a general rejection of an afterlife, or any other supernatural idea although many atheists not believe in the supernatural generally.  Angels and Satan on the other hand are gods (supernaturally powerful beings) and lack of belief in them is required.

Many atheists including myself reach this position through skepticism, but it might be reached by any number of means including simply never have been indoctrinated in a religion.  No stance on naturalism, empiricism, or materialism is required.  Again, atheism is not a philosophy, it is a position on a single issue, the existence of god.

Nor is it necessary in order to be an atheist to believe that all or indeed any gods have been disproved. It is quite common to lack a belief in something's existence because that thing has not been proved and not because it's existence has been disproved.  Right now I lack a belief that there is a million dollars in my crawlspace, but I haven't proven it isn't there.  In fact is not really possible to prove the lack of existence of anything.

Nor yet is it a belief in a god coupled with a decision to reject that god.  Even if you are opposed to the only god you believe in, belief in a god would preclude you from being an atheist.  It's definitional.

I really like your post a lot, very, very much, except for this:

"In fact is not really possible to prove the lack of existence of anything."

Right now, I have proof that there are no elephants existing in my dining room.  If there were any elephants in my dining room, they would be seen by me (and smelled, etc.).  So I know that there are no elephants existing in my dining room.

You, of course, do not have the proof, as you are not here to see for yourself.  But very likely, you have proof that there are no elephants existing in the room you are in (if you are in a room).

So it is possible to prove that something does not exist.

Also, there are descriptions that are self-contradictory, and one can know that they do not exist.  For example, I know that there are no married bachelors.  Married bachelors do not exist.  This is because to be a bachelor, one must not be married.

So we have another kind of possible proof that something does not exist.

"A wise man ... proportions his belief to the evidence."
— David Hume, An Enquiry Concerning Human Understanding, Section X, Part I.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Video thread for interesting philosophical discussions on YouTube and elsewhere GrandizerII 2 303 August 26, 2020 at 8:43 am
Last Post: GrandizerII
  Philosophical zombies robvalue 131 15467 March 7, 2018 at 3:58 pm
Last Post: polymath257
  A Philosophical Conundrum BrianSoddingBoru4 11 1749 October 27, 2017 at 9:23 pm
Last Post: ignoramus
  Philosophical zombie. robybar 3 1612 June 8, 2017 at 8:21 am
Last Post: bennyboy
  Philosophical ideas and acting "as though" bennyboy 12 2105 March 31, 2017 at 11:15 am
Last Post: henryp
  What philosophical evidence is there against believing in non-physical entities? joseph_ 150 12592 September 3, 2016 at 11:26 am
Last Post: downbeatplumb
  Arguments for God from a purely philosophical perspective Aegon 13 2885 January 24, 2016 at 2:44 am
Last Post: robvalue
  A Great Philosophical Question. Pyrrho 26 6547 September 28, 2015 at 11:31 am
Last Post: Pyrrho
  One philosophical argument for existence of supernatural. Mystic 59 15780 July 20, 2015 at 10:01 pm
Last Post: Cato
  Philosophical Quietism Pizza 9 3056 February 11, 2015 at 8:59 pm
Last Post: Pizza