Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 6, 2024, 2:30 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why do we put up with this? Drug/adds OP ED
RE: Why do we put up with this? Drug/adds OP ED
There's also a global push for medication to manage peoples health risks.  

In any case, I'm not sure how you'd quantify the costs to "the people" but from the standpoint of the pharma model..it looks like they make money.  It doesn't end up costing them more at all, and that's especially true if you take the dimmest, most cynical view of the model and everyone involved.  As to why they're all over TV now..well.

Quote:Direct-to-consumer (DTC) advertising is a relatively new area of prescription drug promotion. No federal law has ever banned DTC advertising. Until the mid-1980s, drug companies gave information about prescription drugs only to doctors and pharmacists. When these professionals thought it appropriate, they gave that information to their patients. However, during the 1980s, some drug companies started to give the general public more direct access to this information through DTC ads.
https://www.fda.gov/Drugs/ResourcesForYou/Consumers/PrescriptionDrugAdvertising/ucm071964.htm

There was a big hubbub in '83, after a pain reliever ad went direct to consumer.  Why they decided to do that invariably references a profit motive, but they're corporations...so, that's what they do.  It might be greed, but it;s fair to say it;s more than just greed (I;m prettu sure pharma researchers are intersted in both the money -and- the product and the people the product might help - for example)...and I don't know why you think that medicine is to be sold for altruistic reasons?  It's distributed free of charge for those reasons.  We arrange health systems and find ways to pay any associated costs for those reasons, but that;s not the primary motivation of pharma research and manufacturing or sale- nor could it be (almost by definition), nor would they be able to deliver the same range of products that service that global push for medication from the consumer.  

I think that a healthy level of skepticism is warranted for drug ads (or any ad, really...advertisers aren;t exactly paragons of virtue). It seems that we do take these ads with a grain of salt. I also think that we should have regulations regarding both truth in advertising in general..and truth in pharma ads specifically. Conveniently, we do.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!

Messages In This Thread
Why do we put up with this? Drug/adds OP ED - by Brian37 - April 19, 2017 at 8:30 am
RE: Why do we put up with this? Drug/adds OP ED - by The Grand Nudger - April 19, 2017 at 10:07 am
RE: Why do we put up with this? Drug/adds OP ED - by Isis - April 19, 2017 at 10:08 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Recipe: Not Sure Where to Put This ABQ505 2 317 December 10, 2021 at 4:43 pm
Last Post: ABQ505
  Emergency food help. What do you put on a BLT? Gawdzilla Sama 36 2392 July 21, 2018 at 11:31 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  How do you people with long hair put it up? Foxaèr 32 6320 April 21, 2018 at 7:58 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  I Was Going To Put This In Fucking Cops but It Deserves Its Own Thread Minimalist 3 1495 August 14, 2015 at 6:28 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Drug Policy TheMonster 60 6459 July 14, 2015 at 3:40 pm
Last Post: dyresand
  Put on a happy face, atheist vs atheist vs theist. Brian37 0 762 March 23, 2015 at 2:40 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  Barista put the wrong toppings on my chestnut praline latte chrissy244 19 4345 November 21, 2014 at 5:49 pm
Last Post: c172
  Alcoholics Anonymous and Drug Addiction AceBoogie 73 12314 November 4, 2014 at 10:17 pm
Last Post: AceBoogie
  Put your recepies here! sven 2 898 April 29, 2014 at 9:29 am
Last Post: pocaracas
  drug stereotypes salamenfuckyou 11 2477 April 15, 2014 at 11:54 am
Last Post: paulpablo