Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 25, 2024, 7:11 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Our theists of all labels please answer....
RE: Our theists of all labels please answer....
(April 24, 2017 at 12:53 pm)drfuzzy Wrote: Ok, re: OP . . . I'm an ex-theist.  And please forgive if someone has already replied with a similar response, because I'm really short of time at the moment, so I haven't read it all!   

I think that most theists cling to their "club" and their "belief" because they were raised in it.  They have been conditioned from birth that THIS is the only true belief, and that they really shouldn't question it.  Not only that, but they are surrounded by like-minded people.  And they have not had enough contact with people who hold different beliefs to be curious about those beliefs - in fact, they are trained to dismiss those beliefs as wrong.  (I once worked with a devout Christian who worked with a Buddhist, a Muslim, an Agnostic, and a Hindu.  She claimed to love every one of them - "what a great team! We have such great people!".  When I told her about a comparative religion discussion I had with a co-worker from Bangladesh, however, she was horrified. "You shouldn't talk about religion! He's not a Christian, he's not saved! It might make you curious about his beliefs, and he's deluded!".  Wowza.)  Just reading about "other" beliefs, for some of these people, is a dangerous path.  It's a slippery slope.  They might find other religions interesting, and that CANNOT HAPPEN.  They'll go to hell.

--Fuzz

Yes, most of the world's population simply buy the club because their parents sold it to them at a young age before they could formulate adult critical thinking skills.

But even for someone who might not get raised in one but adapts one as an adult might simply have liberal parents but also not taught critical thinking skills. "Find your own path" sounds nice, but you don't simply say "sample it all", you still have to have a neutral method to apply everything you might look at.

I said in my prior post, you can be intelligent and wrong at the same time. You can be intelligent and fall for very complex arguments that are still nothing more than an elaborate apology.

In the end anything you might want to claim, if it is going to be universally accepted beyond your own personal bias has to be subject to both an accepted method and neutral independent peer review. 

There is no such thing as Buddhist science even if their are Buddhists with science degrees. There is no such thing as Christian science even if there are Christians with science degrees. There is no such thing as Muslim science, even if there are Muslims with science degrees. There is no such thing as Jewish science even if there are Jews with science degrees. There is no such thing as Hindu science even if there are Hindus with science degrees.

There is only one neutral concept of scientific method that all scientists use beyond their own personal beliefs.

Messages In This Thread
Our theists of all labels please answer.... - by Brian37 - April 23, 2017 at 9:23 am
Our theists of all labels please answer.... - by Valyza1 - April 23, 2017 at 9:12 pm
RE: Our theists of all labels please answer.... - by Brian37 - April 24, 2017 at 1:05 pm
Our theists of all labels please answer.... - by Valyza1 - April 24, 2017 at 1:12 pm
Our theists of all labels please answer.... - by Valyza1 - April 24, 2017 at 2:57 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Please help Denzil99 37 1098 June 11, 2024 at 7:31 am
Last Post: Gwaithmir
  God is not the answer Foxaèr 47 5380 October 31, 2018 at 1:25 pm
Last Post: Drich
  Reading the bible: please help! ignoramus 71 15363 October 8, 2018 at 1:52 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  Theists, please describe how you experience your god I_am_not_mafia 161 17407 June 15, 2018 at 9:37 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Dark matter kicks ass again. Please watch. ignoramus 3 956 June 4, 2018 at 11:29 am
Last Post: Angrboda
  To All Those Theists Who Aren't In It For The Swag Edwardo Piet 17 3047 June 2, 2018 at 8:53 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Please describe your god's loyalty reward scheme. I_am_not_mafia 101 25872 November 23, 2017 at 9:23 am
Last Post: Cod
  10 Questions Biblical Literalists Cannot Honestly Answer Foxaèr 431 129170 August 12, 2017 at 4:22 pm
Last Post: Astonished
  If God created all the good things around us then it means he created all EVIL too ErGingerbreadMandude 112 22131 March 3, 2017 at 9:53 am
Last Post: Harry Nevis
  ★★ We are all atheists/atheistic to ALL Gods (says simple science) ProgrammingGodJordan 80 13406 January 13, 2017 at 2:20 pm
Last Post: ProgrammingGodJordan