Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 9, 2024, 9:34 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Am I right to assume, that theists cannot prove that I am not god?
RE: Am I right to assume, that theists cannot prove that I am not god?
(July 21, 2017 at 8:56 am)Inkfeather132 Wrote:
(July 21, 2017 at 4:33 am)Little Rik Wrote: WRONG.

What psychology is all about?
Psychology is the scientific study of the mind and behavior. Psychology is a multifaceted discipline and includes many sub-fields of study such areas as human development, sports, health, clinical, social behavior and cognitive processes.
https://www.google.com.au/search?q=psych...e&ie=UTF-8

I wish you knew what is the difference between mind and consciousness.  Lightbulb
The mind can only grasp what is external while the consciousness is an internal process.  Lightbulb

You should ask Mr. Sam Parnia about that.
The guy studied for several years the NDEs (in fact is the one who studied more than everybody else the NDEs) and at the end he surrendered to the fact that he could not getting anywhere.
The reason is very very simple.
There is a border to cross and by trying to cross that by using the mind is an impossibility.
Is like to call a plumber when you want to fix your computer or call an electrician when you want to fix your sink pipes.
It just doesn't work Ink that is why when you want to understand the consciousness you switch off the mind and engage in yoga meditation.

You too feel in your heart that you are right and other people are wrong.
What this has got to do with religions?

At least I do work to expand my consciousness.
You on the other end do nothing in that regard thinking that the mind is the tool to use to understand what we do not yet know in that field.  Smile

Gee, how lucky I am to find an expert like you.  Worship

Please Ast try to help LR to understand these difficult issues.

1) What is the meaning of philosophy?
2) What is the difference between religions and spirituality?
3) What determine the wealth of a country?

Thanks brother Ast.
Please help LR to understand.  Worship

con·scious·ness
ˈkän(t)SHəsnəs
noun
the state of being awake and aware of one's surroundings.
"she failed to regain consciousness and died two days later"
the awareness or perception of something by a person.
plural noun: consciousnesses
"her acute consciousness of Mike's presence"
the fact of awareness by the mind of itself and the world.
"consciousness emerges from the operations of the brain"

That's the definition of consciousness LR. Have a look at that third definition there, and notice the phrase "by the mind". You don't get to just make up meanings for words and then say I don't know what I'm talking about. Now look at this:

psy·chol·o·gy
sīˈkäləjē/
noun
the scientific study of the human mind and its functions, especially those affecting behavior in a given context.

So if psychology deals with the function of the human mind, and consciousness is the mind being aware of itself and the outside world, then psychology does deal with it. I think it's time for an English lesson. What you are describing doesn't sound like consciousness to me. It sounds like you are talking about a soul or spirit, something that interacts with the physical and non-physical worlds. If you would like to provide evidence that such a thing exists, go ahead.

I personally don't care if Mr. Parnia studied them his whole life if he didn't do it in a scientific manner, or publish a peer reviewed paper on his findings.

What "feeling in your heart" has to do with religions is: that's all they've got as evidence for their claims. And it's all you've got as evidence for your's as well. You are no different than any other theist, you just think you're better because you don't go to a church. They actually look less ridiculous than you because at least they have an external source (the Bible) to rally around and explain why they believe something. You just spout random nonsense.

Wrong again Ast.

It is true that as far as the person is alive the consciousness rely on his-her body and brain to be aware.
No question about it.
It is like when you go in your car.
It is natural that you rely on such a vehicle to move from point A to point B.
That however doesn't mean that when your vehicle give up you die with your vehicle.
You are totally free to exit your vehicle and continue your journey with an other vehicle.
This happen all the time as already proved by thousand of NDEs experiences.

Just because we are stuck inside a body we tend to believe that mind and consciousness are the same thing.
This is a dogma or a false belief.
Most people find very difficult to understand this feeling to be one with the vehicle.
Smart people however do not fall in the trap.
I don't but if you do then i wish you all the best for you to wake you up ASAP.
Is just not worth to be reincarnated again and again trying to understand how the system works.
Why an intelligent person would fall in that trap?

As far as the religious argument please note that the internal knowledge is far far better than any external one.
Have you ever noticed that when you do not know something you start thinking within?
Inventors of all ages always got the sparking idea coming from within.
That is where the real knowledge lie.  

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTzxp7klIVOxx1DLAFW942...U7i7Il89H3]

Messages In This Thread
RE: Am I right to assume, that theists cannot prove that I am not god? - by Little Rik - July 22, 2017 at 7:18 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Serious] Could an omnipotent and omniscient god prove that he was God? Jehanne 136 10161 January 26, 2023 at 11:33 am
Last Post: GrandizerII
  Evolution cannot account for morality chiknsld 341 34062 January 1, 2023 at 10:06 pm
Last Post: sdelsolray
  Does Ezekiel 23:20 prove that God is an Incel Woah0 26 2840 September 17, 2022 at 5:12 pm
Last Post: Woah0
  Right of freedom of religion should not be a human right Macoleco 19 1694 May 26, 2021 at 1:10 am
Last Post: Belacqua
  Theists, tell me, an atheist, why your God has neglected to show himself to me? ignoramus 75 25511 March 5, 2021 at 6:49 am
Last Post: arewethereyet
  If artificial super intelligence erases humans, will theists see this as God's plan? Face2face 24 5422 March 5, 2021 at 6:40 am
  Is God weaker than theists imagine, and is mankind stronger? invalid 6 2398 March 5, 2021 at 6:38 am
  Theists: What do you mean when you say that God is 'perfect'? Angrboda 103 17996 March 5, 2021 at 6:35 am
  Are there any theists here who think God wants, or will take care of, Global Warming? Duty 16 3662 January 19, 2020 at 11:50 am
Last Post: Smedders
  Being cannot come from Non-being Otangelo 147 14727 January 7, 2020 at 7:08 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger