Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 9, 2024, 4:41 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Irational fear of hell still naggs me from time to time
RE: Irational fear of hell still naggs me from time to time
Arsoo,

Your concept of hell is actually that of the Islamic hell and not the biblical hell. There's a big difference between the two of them.

In the biblical version when people die they go to one of three places = death, the sea, or hell. The good news is that all three are temporary and everyone gets out on Judgment Day. At that time if a person's name has been written in the Book of Life he moves on to the gaudy bejeweled golden cube called New Jerusalem where he bunks with Yahweh (the God of the Hebrews and the God of the armies) and his zoo of weird creatures for eternity. The problem is that you have to pass through one of the twelve gates dedicated to the twelve tribes of Israel so there's no specific guarantee that Gentiles will get in. If you don't make it then you get tossed into the lake of fire, along with death and hell. So you will never go back to hell even if you had been in it.

In the Islamic version everyone just dies and stays dead until Judgment Day. Then everyone gets resurrected and judged. Some people get an express ticket to their own paradise, a 60 mile wide pearl shell with rivers of wine and two 60 or 90 foot tall translucent "women" plus a few assorted human women and a herd of cute boys. It's more of a guy thing because most of the women end up in hell. That's the hell you don't want to end up in because it's permanent and you never get out. And all of the bad things you imagine in your OP is constantly repeated.

The Mormons said to hell with those versions and made up a new one. Each good guy becomes a god with his own planet and a harem and and churn out babies like cockroaches for eternity. They seem to be skimpy on the hell thing.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Irational fear of hell still naggs me from time to time - by Wyrd of Gawd - September 30, 2017 at 1:00 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Still Angry about Abraham and Isaac zwanzig 29 2187 October 1, 2023 at 7:58 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  Why are you (still) a Christian? FrustratedFool 304 20255 September 29, 2023 at 5:16 pm
Last Post: Bucky Ball
  GOD's Mercy While It Is Still Today - Believe! Mercyvessel 102 9211 January 9, 2022 at 1:31 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  [Not] Breaking news; Catholic church still hateful Nay_Sayer 18 1711 March 17, 2021 at 11:43 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  How can a Christian reject part of the Bible and still call themselves a Christian? KUSA 371 91003 May 3, 2020 at 1:04 am
Last Post: Paleophyte
  So, are the Boils of Egypt still a 'thing' ?? vorlon13 26 5853 May 8, 2018 at 1:29 am
Last Post: Minimalist
  Do my parents fear that I'll leave the faith? Der/die AtheistIn 120 23771 January 14, 2018 at 2:55 am
Last Post: Abaddon_ire
  Ex-Christians: How do you lose your fear of hell? KiwiNFLFan 29 5772 November 20, 2017 at 2:07 pm
Last Post: purplepurpose
  There is still time to covert to Christianity before Christmas! Loading Please Wait 12 3323 January 29, 2017 at 4:22 pm
Last Post: The Wise Joker
  What time is it?? What if Time!!! Drich 94 11027 March 11, 2016 at 10:02 pm
Last Post: dyresand