Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 23, 2024, 4:57 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
One sentence that throws the problem of evil out of the window.
RE: One sentence that throws the problem of evil out of the window.
(November 7, 2017 at 11:37 pm)AtlasS33 Wrote:
(November 7, 2017 at 11:22 pm)Catholic_Lady Wrote: No, we don't teach that in Catholicism.

Yes; you do:
http://christinprophecy.org/articles/whe...saved-die/

Quote:Those from Hades are going to be judged based on their works, but without the saving work of Jesus Christ — the only work that matters, they will be found wanting. God’s the perfect litmus test, and so no matter how good our works have been, they just cannot add up to God’s standard of perfection. Everyone who tells you that you have to work your way to Heaven is lying to you, because the Bible says otherwise in Ephesians 2:8-9. Jesus’ work on the cross is the only work that matters, and our response in faith.

3) Hell
When they are all found guilty, their next and final destination is a place called Hell. Revelation 20:14-15 explains that awful sentence of condemnation, “Then death and Hades were thrown into the Lake of Fire.” The Lake of Fire is called the Second Death. If anyone’s name was not found written in the books of Life, they will be thrown into the Lake of Fire.

https://www.catholicculture.org/culture/...ecnum=4275

Quote:Looking At The Evidence

Turning to Scripture, we find the doctrine of eternal damnation to be one of the most persistent themes in the New Testament, especially in the teaching of Christ himself. The Old Testament has little about life after death, but even there grim warnings are given of retribution for sin. The book of Daniel predicts: "Many of those who sleep in the dust of the earth shall awake, some to everlasting life, and some to shame and everlasting contempt."[size=undefined]1[/size]

Our Lord declares: " . . . whoever blasphemes against the Holy Spirit never has forgiveness, but is guilty of an eternal sin."[size=undefined]2[/size] He tells us that on the Last Day many will remind him they had done mighty works in his name, but he will say to them: "I never knew you; depart from me, you evildoers."[size=undefined]3[/size] He warns his disciples: " . . . fear him who can destroy both body and soul in hell."[size=undefined]4[/size] He declares that it is better " . . . to enter life maimed than with two hands to go to hell, to the unquenchable fire."[size=undefined]5[/size] He adds that in hell ". . . their worm does not die and the fire is not quenched."[size=undefined]6[/size] The parable of the net holding good and bad fish ends with the statement that the angels will separate the evil from the good "and throw them into the furnace of fire; there men will weep and gnash their teeth."[size=undefined]7[/size] The same fate for the wicked is given in the parable of the tares and the wheat.[size=undefined]8[/size]

But it's not cool to say it during preaching to non-christians; so you prefer to not open the topic. Old crusaders and some extremists use it to scare people into the faith.
Sunni and Shiite twelver Muslims do it too.

Give people what they want to hear. That's the rule of the game.

It's always funny when someone of a different religion tries to tell me what mine teaches lol.

The first site you posted, I took a look at, and it wasn't even a Catholic site. A quick look at it showed a pretty fundamentalist, fire and brimstines, type of Christianity. Not Catholicism. Heck, im sure they are the type of christians who think catholics are going to hell, no doubt. I see they were also talking about the rapture and stuff lol... yeah, you found a doozy my friend. But that's an A+ for effort.

The second site was a Catholic site, and a very conservative one by the looks of it, but even still, nowhere on there did the author say that atheists and those of other faiths go to Hell. The official Catholic teaching on this is that we simply don't know and can't say because it is impossible for us to judge the soul of another.

(For future reference, if you want to know the official Catholic position on something, look at the Catechism. The whole thing is online, so a quick Google search should turn up what you need.)
"Of course, everyone will claim they respect someone who tries to speak the truth, but in reality, this is a rare quality. Most respect those who speak truths they agree with, and their respect for the speaking only extends as far as their realm of personal agreement. It is less common, almost to the point of becoming a saintly virtue, that someone truly respects and loves the truth seeker, even when their conclusions differ wildly." 

-walsh

Messages In This Thread
RE: One sentence that throws the problem of evil out of the window. - by Catholic_Lady - November 8, 2017 at 12:13 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Are cats evil beasts that should be killed to save mice? FlatAssembler 34 2622 November 28, 2022 at 11:41 am
Last Post: Fireball
  does evil exist? Quill01 51 3720 November 15, 2022 at 5:30 am
Last Post: h4ym4n
  The argument against "evil", theists please come to the defense. Mystic 158 69078 December 29, 2017 at 7:21 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Reasoning showing homosexuality is evil. Mystic 315 48507 October 23, 2017 at 12:34 pm
Last Post: Foxaèr
  Reasoning showing that heterosexuality is evil I_am_not_mafia 21 4707 October 23, 2017 at 8:23 am
Last Post: ignoramus
Wink Emoticons are Intrinsically Good and Evil Fireball 4 1112 October 21, 2017 at 12:11 am
Last Post: Succubus
  Is knowledge the root of all evil? Won2blv 22 5978 February 18, 2017 at 7:56 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Origin of evil Harris 186 23605 September 12, 2016 at 5:37 am
Last Post: Harris
  What if you lived in a world...full of evil plotting Legos Losty 45 5238 June 10, 2016 at 1:58 am
Last Post: c172
  The Pursuit of Good and Evil carusmm 0 854 May 30, 2016 at 6:30 am
Last Post: carusmm