Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: September 30, 2026, 8:12 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Theists - I want to know what you think
#18
RE: Theists - I want to know what you think
Someone said I was a theist because I was a pantheist. I think my beliefs are not really necessarily fully synonymous with pantheist and by extension theist, but I thought I would answer anyways.

1. Do you think lacking a belief in god is rational?  Why, or why not?
I don't think beliefs and by extension lack of belief is rational because they hinge on our perception of the world which is fallible.
2. Do you believe atheists who say they don’t believe because of lack of evidence?  If so, do you think that is a rational reason to not believe in god?
No, I don't. I think evidence has very little to do with what we actually believe or do not believe because of how inherently biased we are as a species. This is very different than making an informed decision, which is directed based on our motivation of needs as opposed to what one believes. In short, I think there is a connection in all ways between our thoughts, emotions, behaviors and beliefs and that beliefs are at the core of our directive action and that cannot be changed much.
3. Do you think rational skepticism is the correct perspective to be coming from when considering god-belief?
Absolutely not. I don't think anyone is purely rational and as such I don't think it's something that is possible to go to the closest to the top of a hierarchy to inform the bottom of the hierarchy. I think the bottom of the hierarchy is made up of instincts and a priori knowledge and rationalization is at the top of the hierarchy.
4. Do you think an atheist and/or rational skeptic can reason their way to belief in god?  
No.
5. Do you think an atheist and/or rational skeptic could be convinced by reasons, or do you think God would have to intervene in some way?
In regards to their lack of belief in God? Again, no, because belief is at the bottom of the hierarchy and rationalization is at the top. Something more needs to trigger a change in belief besides evidence. One needs to first come to grips with the idea that they were wrong before they can accept a new belief and I don't think evidence alone is enough to trigger the realization that one was wrong.
6. Why do you think so many atheists were once theists?  Is it realistic to think a person could re-believe in god after deciding they could no longer believe due to lack of evidence?  Why or why not?
Because the idea of being an atheist is in some senses a rebellion of the belief in god. They choose to belief an antithesis because it fits with their primordial instincts to fight against an injustice.
7.  Some of you had mentioned ‘sowing the seed’ as a reason to be here at AF.  If you were going to explain to an atheist what the best reason is to believe in god, what would it be?  I’m not trying to set up a ‘burden of proof’ trap.  I just want to know what you think would be, or should be the most convincing to an atheist and/or rational skeptic.
I'm just here for Mafia Smile I wanted to know who was representing AF in the Mafia Championships which is why I created an account here in the first place. My reason for being here has nothing to do with religious beliefs at all.
But your individuality and your present need will be swept away by change, 
and what you now ardently desire will one day become the object of abhorrence. 
~ Schiller - 'Psychological Types'
Reply



Messages In This Thread
RE: Theists - I want to know what you think - by Quick - May 7, 2018 at 9:22 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  You think Catholics hate Charles Goodyear Woah0 7 2810 August 28, 2022 at 5:43 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Question to theists: When to take the bible literally? T.J. 22 5948 November 26, 2021 at 6:14 pm
Last Post: onlinebiker
  didnt want to necropost: what completing the law means. Drich 18 4765 May 12, 2020 at 10:51 am
Last Post: The Architect Of Fate
  How do theists justify the translations of the scriptures? Macoleco 44 15235 October 16, 2019 at 1:25 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  Question to Theists? kartronic 10 4269 May 30, 2019 at 9:11 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  [Serious] What would you want in a church tackattack 44 11566 March 11, 2019 at 10:10 am
Last Post: chimp3
  Who Do You Think Is The Best Christian Of Our Times? BrianSoddingBoru4 14 4372 January 22, 2019 at 11:53 am
Last Post: Drich
  In UK atheists considred more moral than theists. downbeatplumb 254 82430 September 20, 2018 at 5:08 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Those Theists Willie23 50 13467 May 21, 2018 at 2:23 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Why does my family want me to be christian so much? Der/die AtheistIn 17 6115 March 29, 2018 at 7:12 pm
Last Post: Succubus



Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)