Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: September 30, 2024, 7:35 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Theists - I want to know what you think
RE: Theists - I want to know what you think
(May 10, 2018 at 6:20 pm)Hammy Wrote: I mean, if a belief can be reasonable without being rational can it also be rational without being reasonable? What's the difference?

I don’t want us to get all hung up on semantics and have a pointless argument about definitions. So instead of defining what makes a belief reasonable, I’ll explain when an opinion is warranted. Instead of writing about what counts as rational, I will write about justified beliefs.

My point is this. Someone can have warranted beliefs even if those beliefs cannot be justified.

Someone’s opinion is warranted if it is 1) coherent, 2) makes few unnecessary assumptions, and 3) that someone has performed adequate due diligence in forming his opinion. Determining warrant is a judgement call. People who are consistent, don’t jump to conclusions and carefully mull things over are the kinds of people we call “reasonable.”

A belief is not justified if 1) it doesn’t depend on a prior belief and 2) it is not possible, even in theory, to establish with certainty whether it is true. Axioms, rules of thought, and absolutes are foundational beliefs that usually cannot be justified. The Principle of Non-Contradiction is a good example. The PNC is a first principle; there are no prior ideas that must be accepted to support the truth of PNC. The PNC is also apparently self-evident. However, just because it is so strongly intuitive doesn’t mean it is true. Human beings could just be mentally wired in such a way that they cannot believe otherwise. There is no way to know if the PNC is a fundamental principle of reality or if it is simply a useful artifact of evolution. It is not that we can really know that the PNC is true, we just must trust it, i.e. make a leap of faith that it is indeed true. In that sense the Principle of Non-Contradiction is “irrational” – it is a belief you can only reason from and not a belief you could ever reason to.

(May 10, 2018 at 6:20 pm)Hammy Wrote: This makes you sound like a presuppositionalist. It makes you sound like you are saying that you think the most fundamental premises for any worldview is ultimately entirely irrational. It makes it sound like you're saying that theism isn't based on reason but atheism isn't either.

I don’t know much about presuppositionalism as a Christian apologetic, so I cannot say. I get the sense the it’s just basic existentialism wrapped up in Reformed theology, but I don’t know. I know it gets a lot of bad press. My ideas follow from mostly from Kierkegaard and Sartre. It’s getting late for me and I could write more but it’s probably wiser for me to let you consider what I’ve said before going any further.

(Wow, Hammy! I went a whole post without insulting you. We’re doing pretty good I’d say.)
<insert profound quote here>

Messages In This Thread
RE: Theists - I want to know what you think - by Neo-Scholastic - May 11, 2018 at 12:24 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  You think Catholics hate Charles Goodyear Woah0 7 1463 August 28, 2022 at 5:43 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  [Serious] What would you want in a church tackattack 44 4895 March 11, 2019 at 10:10 am
Last Post: chimp3
  Who Do You Think Is The Best Christian Of Our Times? BrianSoddingBoru4 14 2208 January 22, 2019 at 11:53 am
Last Post: Drich
  How You Know This Shit Was Written By Men! Minimalist 48 12058 January 4, 2017 at 4:05 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Do you think Epistle of James was written by "James Brother of Jesus" Rolandson 13 2419 December 31, 2016 at 9:39 pm
Last Post: robvalue
  I know what you did last summer. Czechlervitz30 6 1935 August 9, 2016 at 3:27 pm
Last Post: brewer
  What do you think of William Lane Craig? Jehanne 196 29450 January 31, 2016 at 12:50 pm
Last Post: Crossless2.0
  Theists i want a quick forum chat with you dyresand 24 6963 July 25, 2015 at 2:03 am
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  Did you know god is a lair so is jesus dyresand 18 4919 July 10, 2015 at 3:21 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Christians/Theists... why is it that ya'll think Harry Potter "bad" xr34p3rx 86 25705 November 5, 2014 at 11:39 am
Last Post: Jenny A