Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: September 30, 2024, 7:40 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Theists - I want to know what you think
RE: Theists - I want to know what you think
(May 10, 2018 at 6:16 pm)Neo-Scholastic Wrote: My position is that there is no certain basis on which any belief system rests and yet the human condition requires each of us to have beliefs that rest, either tacitly or explicitly, on some freely adopted intellectual assumptions.

I don't think the most fundamental axiom of all lacks a certain basis. I don't think there's any basis more certain than the very basis that allows all certainty itself to be reached.

I don't see how reason itself is not a reasonable axiom. Wouldn't any other sort of axiom be... unreasonable?

You still haven't clarified what you mean by saying that beliefs can be rational without being reasonable (EDIT: Oh wait you said it the other way around. You said they can be reasonable without being rational. Again, what's the difference?). That doesn't seem to make any sense to me.

Surely if God were to exist the very minimum characteristics for God would be Logos. Without logic itself being built into the essence of God I would consider God to be inferior to logic itself and therefore God would be kind of Logos's sidekick.

After all, God cannot do the logically impossible... doesn't that make him kind of inferior to logic unless it is literally part of him? The way I see it is that him having to follow certain rules makes the rules have power over him rather than the other way around (again, unless the rules are literally part of his being).

(May 11, 2018 at 12:01 pm)Jörmungandr Wrote:
(May 11, 2018 at 11:02 am)SteveII Wrote: I know. I chose 'unknowable' on purpose. If you think there was a first cause and you deny it was God, then you are admitting to a brute fact (whether you realize it or not). A brute fact is unknowable. 

Bullshit.  That's a false dichotomy.

He's also confusing unknown with unknowable. And, even if the nature of the first cause is unknowable... that doesn't mean that pretending to know the nature of the first call and pretending it has a mind is at all rational. On the contrary... the most rational stance to take when you don't know is to withhold judgement until you do.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Theists - I want to know what you think - by Edwardo Piet - May 11, 2018 at 1:35 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  You think Catholics hate Charles Goodyear Woah0 7 1463 August 28, 2022 at 5:43 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  [Serious] What would you want in a church tackattack 44 4895 March 11, 2019 at 10:10 am
Last Post: chimp3
  Who Do You Think Is The Best Christian Of Our Times? BrianSoddingBoru4 14 2208 January 22, 2019 at 11:53 am
Last Post: Drich
  How You Know This Shit Was Written By Men! Minimalist 48 12058 January 4, 2017 at 4:05 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Do you think Epistle of James was written by "James Brother of Jesus" Rolandson 13 2419 December 31, 2016 at 9:39 pm
Last Post: robvalue
  I know what you did last summer. Czechlervitz30 6 1935 August 9, 2016 at 3:27 pm
Last Post: brewer
  What do you think of William Lane Craig? Jehanne 196 29451 January 31, 2016 at 12:50 pm
Last Post: Crossless2.0
  Theists i want a quick forum chat with you dyresand 24 6963 July 25, 2015 at 2:03 am
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  Did you know god is a lair so is jesus dyresand 18 4919 July 10, 2015 at 3:21 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Christians/Theists... why is it that ya'll think Harry Potter "bad" xr34p3rx 86 25705 November 5, 2014 at 11:39 am
Last Post: Jenny A