Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 28, 2024, 3:42 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Josephus and other contemporaries on Jesus
RE: Josephus and other contemporaries on Jesus
(July 12, 2018 at 4:46 pm)JairCrawford Wrote: The meaning of the numbers have been lost to our knowledge, but both feedings are very important theologically because if we go on reading, we will find out that after both feedings the disciples went out with Jesus on the Sea of Galilee, and eventually they would fear of starving for lack of food. So already their faith wavered.

Good thing you;re here, lol!

We don;t have to go on reading to see the importance of the stories.  Firstly, it echoes earlier narratives ( exodus 16, 2 kings, psalm 132).....many pages of ink could be spilled and have been spilled on this one, but it reminds us that god is not finite.  He can provide in abundance, in excess of our expectations or resources.  Superficially, food...but perhaps more deeply n overabundance of spiritual sustenance.  The crowds gathered weren;t even believers.  They were there for healings, not to worship god.  

I do think it;s amusing, in the narrative (pursuant to your comment about faith above) that all four narratives show that the disciples..for some reason...doubted the miracle man even though they;d seen him perform mirales before and were..in effect, at an all day miracle road show even in the story.  The chorus stops and says "but how?".

The numbers..if you;re referring to 5k..might be incidental (it;s just alot of people...a miraculous number!).  It wouldn;t have been a full accounting even if it were true..women and children weren;t counted..but the gospel writer most empathetic to women and children generally does see fit to include their mention..at least.  John goes so far as to have the bread offered by a little boy.  More on that in a minute.

The number of broken pieces in the basket, reported by all four, however, has not been lost to us.  Each narrative has the disciples gathering 12 baskets full of broken pieces.  Alluding to the notion that the apostles will gather the twelve broken tribes.  Speaking of the apostles, jesus doesn;t distribute this food himself, or wiggle his nose and suddenly everyone has food or doesn;t need it.  He hands it to them to distribute.  What they have comes from god, and they can only give what they get.  

Now back to those details...both how they agree and how they differ.  I arranged them chronologically.  Mark comes first, then mathew, then luke, then john.  Mathew and lukle were largely based on mark..john does his own thing..and it shows.  Mark and matthew both say that there were already crows gathered when jesus retired.  Luke has him welcoming people (luke was a softy).  John has godman going right up the motherfucking mountain, lol!

Then, ofc, John has a bit extra that conforms to his unique style.  A pronouncement from the people that he is definitely the messiah..and how they were all going to make him king..by force.  

So...regarding the theological oimportance of the bits above...are the minor disparities between accounts all that important?  Is this a vehicle to recount the mundane details..or the message of god?  Can we notice how each author alters the narrative thrust in order to satisfy what we have determined to be their unique proclivities?

My conclusion™ btw..is the conclusion of christian scholarship. That this is a proficient and well polished parable. I;m sure we don;t disagree there. You may believe its twoo, twoo, twoo like our unfortunate friend RR, but that;s irrelevant to me.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!

Messages In This Thread
RE: Josephus and other contemporaries on Jesus - by The Grand Nudger - July 12, 2018 at 5:07 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Other burning bush Fake Messiah 12 1747 May 13, 2021 at 8:58 am
Last Post: onlinebiker
  And Jesus said unto her, Neither do I condemn thee: go, and sin no more. vorlon13 14 3150 August 1, 2017 at 2:54 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  The other problems with Noahs ark dyresand 27 5220 April 7, 2017 at 7:40 pm
Last Post: TheoneandonlytrueGod
  Christian Hell vs. Other Hells? TrueChristian 17 4866 January 13, 2016 at 12:59 am
Last Post: green.joel2
  Why Christians can't respect other's opinion? rado84 83 15075 July 15, 2015 at 3:40 am
Last Post: Longhorn
  life on other planets drfuzzy 26 5851 July 6, 2015 at 6:33 pm
Last Post: Iroscato
  In Christianity, Does Jesus' Soul Have Anything To Do With Why Jesus Is God? JesusIsGod7 18 7360 October 7, 2014 at 12:58 pm
Last Post: JesusHChrist
  Is there any core feature of christianity not found in other religions Lemonvariable72 54 19695 March 14, 2014 at 5:01 pm
Last Post: Chad32
  Why are other civilizations ignored in the Bible? catman 407 130619 March 9, 2014 at 4:36 am
Last Post: catman
  What makes the Christian God different from thr thousands of other Gods out there? bluemonday 66 12386 March 8, 2014 at 2:20 pm
Last Post: Rampant.A.I.