Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 23, 2024, 8:36 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Peterson's 12 Rules For Life, have you heard of this?
RE: Peterson's 12 Rules For Life, have you heard of this?
Quote:The thing is that in order to understand him, you have to listen a pretty long time.  The PC people get triggered by a few sentences, and this makes it very difficult for them to really absorb the full message.
Yeah no you really don't you can distill 99% of his word salad and none of it's great .One does not need to be a "PC " person to see that.

Quote:The full message is that much of our problem with sexuality is rooted in our evolution, that clothing and fashion behaviors are closely linked to sexuality, and that it's actually quite difficult to moderate sexual behavior without completely shutting it down in the style of Maoist communism.
Yeah that's bullocks even if clothing is tied to sexuality that does not excuse behaviors in a work environment and blaming evolution will not fly and making hyperbolic references to Maoism is nuts.

Quote:He also gave specific examples of corporate attempts to define harassment, things like no eye contact more than five seconds, which as a psychologist he finds laughable.
Pointing to the extreme example of Netflix does not help his case . FYI staring at someone in the eye even for 5 seconds can be sexual and even creepy depending on the circumstance .Eye contact is extremely powerful in some cultures staring someone the eye at all is an insult .

Quote:The problem from the left PC is that as soon as you don't just say "Of course everything's fine, and X should always be blamed completely for behaviors toward Y," you shut down dialogue and prevent getting ACTUAL solutions to problems rather than just knee-jerk ones.
Yeah too bad that a BS straw man of the "PC left" and Peterson explanations seem more akin to X can frequently be excused from their behavior toward Y and Y is often complacent in X's action toward them and i have yet to hear the "PC left" "proclaim everything is fine"and Peterson solutions are not solutions especially in the case sexual harassment "flirtation " is a vague principle.
Seek strength, not to be greater than my brother, but to fight my greatest enemy -- myself.

Inuit Proverb

Messages In This Thread
RE: Peterson's 12 Rules For Life, have you heard of this? - by Amarok - August 13, 2018 at 4:03 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Peterson's 12 Rules for Life v2.0-- actual book discussion bennyboy 238 19133 October 8, 2018 at 3:20 am
Last Post: GrandizerII
  Peterson vs. Harris #3-- Dublin bennyboy 0 345 September 26, 2018 at 8:34 am
Last Post: bennyboy
  Jordan Peterson vs. Sam Harris in Vancouver bennyboy 7 730 September 6, 2018 at 10:35 pm
Last Post: bennyboy
  How do you deal with life now that you are an atheist? (With a little of my life) Macoleco 135 15568 September 1, 2016 at 5:30 pm
Last Post: Whateverist
  Here is Practical Explanation about Next Life, Purpose of Human Life - lop0 11 4150 January 26, 2014 at 9:05 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  What are the rules of the game? naimless 11 1722 March 17, 2013 at 4:10 am
Last Post: KichigaiNeko
  Moral rules vs moral sense Whateverist 19 9655 June 14, 2012 at 4:31 am
Last Post: genkaus