Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: October 2, 2026, 6:06 pm

Poll: Has social media gone too far?
This poll is closed.
No. Sources of misinformation, whether domestic or foreign need to be restricted.
27.50%
11 27.50%
We need to do something about cyber warfare, but infringing basic freedoms isn't it.
20.00%
8 20.00%
Attempts to combat cyber warfare are hurting more than helping.
10.00%
4 10.00%
Other.
27.50%
11 27.50%
Fuck all polls.
15.00%
6 15.00%
Total 40 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Alex Jones and Infowars gets 'disappeared' - are we headed in the right direction?
#94
RE: Alex Jones and Infowars gets 'disappeared' - are we headed in the right direction?
Theres the trouble, Cap.  We don't actually have any right to free speech "on the internet".  No more so than we have some right to free speech in another persons house.  The right to free speech is not a right to another's platform.  That would be an abrogation of their rights to their property.  

I also think that it would be counterproductive to drive lunatic views underground..but banning a pill salesman from social media isn't going to do that.  That particular type of lunatic is still so free to speak and so well represented that some of them are serving at the highest levels of our government and use -that- platform to spread bullshit all over the place, lol.

There's been an incredible dilution of the concept of free speech. It's become a proposed right of consequence free speech. A proposed right of platform for speech, and perhaps worst of all..a way to legitimize loons who have no grievance and who shouldn't even be connected to a discussion of free speech. That's before we even get into the whole money-as-speech shit. It's becoming a canard for people who desperately want others to be forced to listen to them..for whatever reason. In Jone's case, it's commercial. The longer people linger in the aisle the more likely they are to buy his merch.

@Jorm, content moderation has always been the norm..before the internet was even invented. Editors have been doing it for centuries.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
Reply



Messages In This Thread
RE: Alex Jones and Infowars gets 'disappeared' - are we headed in the right direction? - by The Grand Nudger - August 13, 2018 at 11:45 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The Radical Right Thumpalumpacus 35 14654 June 4, 2025 at 9:46 am
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  45 gets 34... Ravenshire 56 14319 June 6, 2024 at 8:41 am
Last Post: Angrboda
  Kanye West on Alex Jones paulpablo 391 87368 December 31, 2022 at 9:05 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  SpaceX gets FAA launch approval, provided they fund interest groups HappySkeptic 10 2824 June 15, 2022 at 2:07 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  The far right thinking they know pronouns Kitan Etos 6 1628 May 27, 2021 at 1:31 am
Last Post: Angrboda
  Supreme Court To Take Up Right to Carry Firearm Outside Home onlinebiker 57 11578 April 29, 2021 at 8:20 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  [Serious] Far-Right Extremism Is a Global Problem WinterHold 164 44507 February 17, 2021 at 7:26 pm
Last Post: The Architect Of Fate
  Misinformation drops dramatically after Trump gets banned from Twitter TaraJo 22 6894 January 20, 2021 at 9:59 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  [Serious] Far right seizing COVID-19 ‘opportunity’ to expand: Study WinterHold 8 2030 November 23, 2020 at 4:21 am
Last Post: WinterHold
  Sometimes, Cops Get It Right BrianSoddingBoru4 6 1779 August 27, 2020 at 7:49 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama



Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)