Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 28, 2024, 9:19 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Peterson's 12 Rules For Life, have you heard of this?
RE: Peterson's 12 Rules For Life, have you heard of this?
(September 18, 2018 at 9:16 am)Mister Agenda Wrote:
(September 16, 2018 at 10:38 pm)bennyboy Wrote: Yeah.  It's not crime rates, incarceration rates, single-parent families, or any of those things, either, right?  It's 100% the white oppressors who are keeping black people down, right?

Until systematic oppression is 100% eliminated, I'm comfortable with tracing those problems to the doorstep of slavery, Jim Crow, brutal policing, harsher sentencing, red-lining, and in-general discrimination by white folks; I'm comfortable with laying those problems at the door of white oppressors. Once nothing more can be done about the oppression, maybe we can tell what any problems that are left are about.

The amount of white oppression hindering African Americans should be 0%. And then the country would still owe them for keeping them down so long. Justice is about redressing wrongs. We have a hell of a long way to go before things are square.

I've already said that ultimately, the problem of black inequality in America surely is rooted in the slave history.

But it's one thing to arrive at a moral truth, like the idea of restitution, and another one to actually arrive at some policy.  How would you actually reduce "the amount of white oppression hindering African Americans" to 0%?  Make it illegal to oppress others? Estimate the unpaid hours of all slaves with compound interest and give every black family a hundred million dollars? What, actually, would you recommend doing?

Let's take a specific case, here.  One thing we've learned in this thread is that severely deprived children tend to have learning problems-- this should be obvious, right?  Then we can see that 66% of black children are part of single-parent families.  Okay-- so the mom is probably having to work a lot, and the children may not have much help learning either life lessons or their school lessons.

No doubt, this is ultimately an effect of the poverty of slaves being released into the population after the civil war, but not being given restitution for their many years of hard labor, and not therefore being able to purchase property or engage in profitable entrepreneurship.

But what actual method would you use to make a single-parent child's daddy come back?  Blaming white people for the state of things might feel right, but how in your mind does it translate into an actionable policy?

(September 18, 2018 at 8:25 am)robvalue Wrote: I'm just firing this out randomly:

I think the best position to take is to simply have your own position on everything. Trying to be part of "a group", be it left, right, whatever, means that you end up trying to defend things you don't actually agree with.

Hmmmm.

I've said that prisoners should be released from jail (my own idea).  That's clearly a leftist position.
I've said that black people have low SAT scores, and this will affect their ability to make a good income.  That's not really a position, but referring to it is definitely perceived as a rightist tactic.

The result isn't that people see me as trying to call 'em like I see 'em.  It's that I've been lumped in with white supremacists, and that the many humanitarian policies I've suggested have been disregarded-- perhaps, as Khemikal claims, it's easier to discard positions inconsistent with an opposing ideology as "see how Fair Minded™ I am!" than to consider each idea on its merits.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Peterson's 12 Rules For Life, have you heard of this? - by bennyboy - September 18, 2018 at 10:25 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Peterson's 12 Rules for Life v2.0-- actual book discussion bennyboy 238 19761 October 8, 2018 at 3:20 am
Last Post: GrandizerII
  Peterson vs. Harris #3-- Dublin bennyboy 0 358 September 26, 2018 at 8:34 am
Last Post: bennyboy
  Jordan Peterson vs. Sam Harris in Vancouver bennyboy 7 753 September 6, 2018 at 10:35 pm
Last Post: bennyboy
  How do you deal with life now that you are an atheist? (With a little of my life) Macoleco 135 16344 September 1, 2016 at 5:30 pm
Last Post: Whateverist
  Here is Practical Explanation about Next Life, Purpose of Human Life - lop0 11 4178 January 26, 2014 at 9:05 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  What are the rules of the game? naimless 11 1742 March 17, 2013 at 4:10 am
Last Post: KichigaiNeko
  Moral rules vs moral sense Whateverist 19 9728 June 14, 2012 at 4:31 am
Last Post: genkaus