Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: October 1, 2026, 10:02 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Atheists who announce "I'm good without god"
#61
RE: Atheists who announce "I'm good without god"
(October 1, 2018 at 9:11 pm)RoadRunner79 Wrote:
(September 30, 2018 at 9:00 am)polymath257 Wrote: I understand the moral argument: that all people have certain moral feelings and the claim that this requires a higher power that is identified with God.

My point is that this argument is deeply flawed. We have some common sensitivities because we are a moral species and have evolved to work together to some extent. Those aspects on which we agree are those that tend to evolve in social species; they are the rules that tends to keep social units functional. I point out that even other species have the basics of fairness and compassion. This shows that no 'higher power' is required, just the known aspects of how life evolves.

The objectivity of morality, such as it exists, is simply that some patterns of interaction are more likely to lead to survival in social species. Altruism is, to some extent, purely a matter of such evolution.

The argument isn't that people have moral feelings.  If they are just subjective feelings selected of a just so story, then there is no right and wrong, and morality could be entirely different.  The social conventions of those who believe black people are lesser humans and should be slaves, or that the unborn may be killed, or societal conventions of Nazi Germany is no more moral or immoral than a society that cares for the poor, and who believe in not harming another.    You can't call another society immoral and stay consistent within this framework.  I find that very few people can act as if morality is subjective, and those who do, we call sociopaths and question their mental health.  Under what you defined here, rape could be considered moral, as long as those who are preyed upon, don't interfere by killing the attacker or the child.   I can't agree to that.   I think that you can measure a society or a person as being more or less moral.   That it's not just based on the feelings or emotions, and that one that does have feelings that tend towards immorality are immoral.

Once again, there are many shared values because we *evolved* to have those values because they work for survival. That is the only sense in which they are objective.
Reply



Messages In This Thread
Atheists who announce "I'm good without god" - by Bahana - September 28, 2018 at 5:34 pm
RE: Atheists who announce "I'm good without god" - by unfogged - September 28, 2018 at 6:06 pm
RE: Atheists who announce "I'm good without god" - by brewer - September 28, 2018 at 6:44 pm
RE: Atheists who announce "I'm good without god" - by julep - September 28, 2018 at 7:01 pm
RE: Atheists who announce "I'm good without god" - by julep - September 28, 2018 at 8:22 pm
RE: Atheists who announce "I'm good without god" - by julep - September 29, 2018 at 9:09 am
RE: Atheists who announce "I'm good without god" - by Aegon - September 28, 2018 at 7:06 pm
RE: Atheists who announce "I'm good without god" - by Aliza - September 28, 2018 at 7:23 pm
RE: Atheists who announce "I'm good without god" - by Bahana - September 28, 2018 at 7:24 pm
RE: Atheists who announce "I'm good without god" - by Aliza - September 28, 2018 at 7:25 pm
RE: Atheists who announce "I'm good without god" - by Bob Kelso - September 28, 2018 at 8:45 pm
RE: Atheists who announce "I'm good without god" - by brewer - September 28, 2018 at 8:50 pm
RE: Atheists who announce "I'm good without god" - by Minimalist - September 29, 2018 at 12:39 am
RE: Atheists who announce "I'm good without god" - by Bob Kelso - September 28, 2018 at 8:25 pm
RE: Atheists who announce "I'm good without god" - by brewer - September 28, 2018 at 8:37 pm
RE: Atheists who announce "I'm good without god" - by Cod - September 29, 2018 at 5:32 am
RE: Atheists who announce "I'm good without god" - by Angrboda - September 29, 2018 at 12:02 pm
RE: Atheists who announce "I'm good without god" - by Cod - September 29, 2018 at 4:09 pm
RE: Atheists who announce "I'm good without god" - by polymath257 - October 2, 2018 at 8:12 am
RE: Atheists who announce "I'm good without god" - by Jackie - October 4, 2018 at 10:52 am
RE: Atheists who announce "I'm good without god" - by ignoramus - September 28, 2018 at 10:19 pm
RE: Atheists who announce "I'm good without god" - by robvalue - September 28, 2018 at 10:58 pm
RE: Atheists who announce "I'm good without god" - by Rahn127 - September 29, 2018 at 3:42 am
RE: Atheists who announce "I'm good without god" - by way1000 - September 29, 2018 at 9:02 am
RE: Atheists who announce "I'm good without god" - by Joods - September 29, 2018 at 9:38 am
RE: Atheists who announce "I'm good without god" - by Joods - September 29, 2018 at 9:21 am
RE: Atheists who announce "I'm good without god" - by Angrboda - September 29, 2018 at 9:36 am
RE: Atheists who announce "I'm good without god" - by no one - September 29, 2018 at 4:25 pm
RE: Atheists who announce "I'm good without god" - by Angrboda - September 29, 2018 at 5:01 pm
RE: Atheists who announce "I'm good without god" - by Belacqua - September 29, 2018 at 7:28 pm
RE: Atheists who announce "I'm good without god" - by Seraphina - September 29, 2018 at 8:25 pm
RE: Atheists who announce "I'm good without god" - by Jackie - October 4, 2018 at 10:33 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Atheists, how can you say there is no God. When... Urani9 30 8446 December 12, 2024 at 11:39 am
Last Post: Gwaithmir
  Are Atheists Afraid to Join Atheists? Asmodeus 10 4328 October 26, 2024 at 9:09 am
Last Post: Asmodeus
  Dear Atheists: what would convince you God/Christ is Real? JJoseph 209 61379 June 12, 2024 at 10:54 pm
Last Post: awty
  Atheists how much do you hate God? Authari 139 40658 June 12, 2024 at 10:50 pm
Last Post: awty
  Mike Litorus owns god without any verses no one 3 1600 July 9, 2023 at 7:13 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Atheists, if God doesnt exist, then explain why Keanu Reeves looks like Jesus Christ Frakki 9 4715 April 1, 2023 at 4:07 am
Last Post: Goosebump
  Morality without God Superjock 102 27058 June 17, 2021 at 6:10 pm
Last Post: Ranjr
  scripture says we atheists believe in god android17ak47 17 7060 October 21, 2018 at 8:17 am
Last Post: Fireball
  Ok Atheists! I have God Delusion! Catholic_Lady 54 19805 April 14, 2018 at 8:04 am
Last Post: Jehanne
  I enjoy far right atheists more than lgbt marxist atheists Sopra 4 3699 February 28, 2018 at 9:09 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet



Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)