Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: October 3, 2026, 7:55 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Atheists who announce "I'm good without god"
#84
RE: Atheists who announce "I'm good without god"
(October 2, 2018 at 2:19 pm)RoadRunner79 Wrote:
(October 2, 2018 at 2:00 pm)Grandizer Wrote: Great, so answer my questions at the end of the quote (that you conveniently skipped)? Because let's not pretend theism is clear answer. Convince me that God is the best explanation of why beating your wife is really wrong. Or provide some other good reason yourself.
Sorry, I must have missed the question mark.

You just needed to read that part to know that I was asking you about something, but you're too busy priding yourself in a morality that is not based on much reasoning and telling me that that's the best thing ever.

Quote:Physical laws can't give you an ought.   They are what they are.   You combine X and Y and get Z.   They cannot tell you, that it ought to give you "A".    For this you would need a personal transcendent authority which can say that it ought to be A, even though it is Z.  In addition, with God as the moral authority, it is not arbitrary, as morality is based on God's nature, which is unchanging and maximally great.

Dude, you have a mind, and with that mind, you can make decisions and choices. That mind, that supposedly rational mind, of yours is what gets you an ought from is. That "ought" being dependent on such things as the goals you, and/or the community/society you are a part of, are trying to accomplish. If you want to get along with your wife, and you care about her feelings, then rational thinking will suggest to you that it's a pretty good idea not to mess with your wife and harm your relationship with her.

Quote:Their is some debate on if morality is objective.   We can't look into a microscope and find morality.   However I would argue, that almost no one behaves as if morality is subjective. That we have an innate sense of right and wrong (or good and evil if you will).  This is true of the believer and the unbeliever.

And if you are believing that morality is subjective, then you have to deal with the consequences of that view.
http://www.salvomag.com/new/articles/salvo1/koukl.php

Oh, how cute. A link and a couple of statements that don't address what I'm asking you.

Are you going to get to the juicy bits yet? Or you're stalling or what?

Give me a good reason why beating your wife (or your wife beating you) is really wrong?
Reply



Messages In This Thread
Atheists who announce "I'm good without god" - by Bahana - September 28, 2018 at 5:34 pm
RE: Atheists who announce "I'm good without god" - by unfogged - September 28, 2018 at 6:06 pm
RE: Atheists who announce "I'm good without god" - by brewer - September 28, 2018 at 6:44 pm
RE: Atheists who announce "I'm good without god" - by julep - September 28, 2018 at 7:01 pm
RE: Atheists who announce "I'm good without god" - by julep - September 28, 2018 at 8:22 pm
RE: Atheists who announce "I'm good without god" - by julep - September 29, 2018 at 9:09 am
RE: Atheists who announce "I'm good without god" - by Aegon - September 28, 2018 at 7:06 pm
RE: Atheists who announce "I'm good without god" - by Aliza - September 28, 2018 at 7:23 pm
RE: Atheists who announce "I'm good without god" - by Bahana - September 28, 2018 at 7:24 pm
RE: Atheists who announce "I'm good without god" - by Aliza - September 28, 2018 at 7:25 pm
RE: Atheists who announce "I'm good without god" - by Bob Kelso - September 28, 2018 at 8:45 pm
RE: Atheists who announce "I'm good without god" - by brewer - September 28, 2018 at 8:50 pm
RE: Atheists who announce "I'm good without god" - by Minimalist - September 29, 2018 at 12:39 am
RE: Atheists who announce "I'm good without god" - by Bob Kelso - September 28, 2018 at 8:25 pm
RE: Atheists who announce "I'm good without god" - by brewer - September 28, 2018 at 8:37 pm
RE: Atheists who announce "I'm good without god" - by Cod - September 29, 2018 at 5:32 am
RE: Atheists who announce "I'm good without god" - by Angrboda - September 29, 2018 at 12:02 pm
RE: Atheists who announce "I'm good without god" - by Cod - September 29, 2018 at 4:09 pm
RE: Atheists who announce "I'm good without god" - by Grandizer - October 2, 2018 at 2:43 pm
RE: Atheists who announce "I'm good without god" - by Jackie - October 4, 2018 at 10:52 am
RE: Atheists who announce "I'm good without god" - by ignoramus - September 28, 2018 at 10:19 pm
RE: Atheists who announce "I'm good without god" - by robvalue - September 28, 2018 at 10:58 pm
RE: Atheists who announce "I'm good without god" - by Rahn127 - September 29, 2018 at 3:42 am
RE: Atheists who announce "I'm good without god" - by way1000 - September 29, 2018 at 9:02 am
RE: Atheists who announce "I'm good without god" - by Joods - September 29, 2018 at 9:38 am
RE: Atheists who announce "I'm good without god" - by Joods - September 29, 2018 at 9:21 am
RE: Atheists who announce "I'm good without god" - by Angrboda - September 29, 2018 at 9:36 am
RE: Atheists who announce "I'm good without god" - by no one - September 29, 2018 at 4:25 pm
RE: Atheists who announce "I'm good without god" - by Angrboda - September 29, 2018 at 5:01 pm
RE: Atheists who announce "I'm good without god" - by Belacqua - September 29, 2018 at 7:28 pm
RE: Atheists who announce "I'm good without god" - by Seraphina - September 29, 2018 at 8:25 pm
RE: Atheists who announce "I'm good without god" - by Jackie - October 4, 2018 at 10:33 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Atheists, how can you say there is no God. When... Urani9 30 8459 December 12, 2024 at 11:39 am
Last Post: Gwaithmir
  Are Atheists Afraid to Join Atheists? Asmodeus 10 4350 October 26, 2024 at 9:09 am
Last Post: Asmodeus
  Dear Atheists: what would convince you God/Christ is Real? JJoseph 209 61481 June 12, 2024 at 10:54 pm
Last Post: awty
  Atheists how much do you hate God? Authari 139 40718 June 12, 2024 at 10:50 pm
Last Post: awty
  Mike Litorus owns god without any verses no one 3 1601 July 9, 2023 at 7:13 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Atheists, if God doesnt exist, then explain why Keanu Reeves looks like Jesus Christ Frakki 9 4719 April 1, 2023 at 4:07 am
Last Post: Goosebump
  Morality without God Superjock 102 27322 June 17, 2021 at 6:10 pm
Last Post: Ranjr
  scripture says we atheists believe in god android17ak47 17 7091 October 21, 2018 at 8:17 am
Last Post: Fireball
  Ok Atheists! I have God Delusion! Catholic_Lady 54 19841 April 14, 2018 at 8:04 am
Last Post: Jehanne
  I enjoy far right atheists more than lgbt marxist atheists Sopra 4 3702 February 28, 2018 at 9:09 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet



Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)