Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: October 1, 2026, 8:54 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Atheists who announce "I'm good without god"
RE: Atheists who announce "I'm good without god"
Let me give a couple other examples that may clarify the issues.

When people look at clouds, we see faces. This is something that happens to pretty much everyone. It is almost certainly a genetic thing to see faces whenever possible, even when they aren't appropriate.

Are faces in clouds objective or subjective? Well, everyone sees faces in clouds. People can even agree that certain clouds look like certain types of faces. it is an objective fact that people see faces in clouds. But clouds do not, objectively, have faces. They are masses of water vapor and simply don't actually have faces.

As another example, people generally agree that certain pieces of art are beautiful. Every culture has art and different cultures can appreciate the art of other cultures. Does that make the beauty of art objective? Even if people agree that a certain piece is beautiful, does that make it *objectively* beautiful? Is artistic beauty an objective or a subjective thing?

In both cases, everyone experiences a phenomenon. The phenomenon of art is even valued by most people. But that *doesn't* make either faces in clouds or artistic beauty an objective thing. Both are subjective. But that doesn't make art,, for example, less important. If anything, it is its very subjectivity that makes it so important.

In the same way, almost everyone has a moral sense. Fairness and compassion are aspects of this common moral sense. But the fact that it is common to all does NOT mean it is objective. It just means we have common subjective experiences. Further, the subjectivity does NOT make it less important or valuable to us or our societies. If anything, it makes it more important.

But, just like faces in clouds or artistic beauty, there is NOTHING inherent in the real world that dictates the subjective experiences we have no matter how important or meaningful. These are not objective things, but are very much subjective things, although common to almost all people.

And, in the case of art, the richness of our lives is enhanced by this. And, for morality, the structures of our societies and our lives benefit from having the twin moral guides of fairness and compassion.
Reply



Messages In This Thread
Atheists who announce "I'm good without god" - by Bahana - September 28, 2018 at 5:34 pm
RE: Atheists who announce "I'm good without god" - by unfogged - September 28, 2018 at 6:06 pm
RE: Atheists who announce "I'm good without god" - by brewer - September 28, 2018 at 6:44 pm
RE: Atheists who announce "I'm good without god" - by julep - September 28, 2018 at 7:01 pm
RE: Atheists who announce "I'm good without god" - by julep - September 28, 2018 at 8:22 pm
RE: Atheists who announce "I'm good without god" - by julep - September 29, 2018 at 9:09 am
RE: Atheists who announce "I'm good without god" - by Aegon - September 28, 2018 at 7:06 pm
RE: Atheists who announce "I'm good without god" - by Aliza - September 28, 2018 at 7:23 pm
RE: Atheists who announce "I'm good without god" - by Bahana - September 28, 2018 at 7:24 pm
RE: Atheists who announce "I'm good without god" - by Aliza - September 28, 2018 at 7:25 pm
RE: Atheists who announce "I'm good without god" - by Bob Kelso - September 28, 2018 at 8:45 pm
RE: Atheists who announce "I'm good without god" - by brewer - September 28, 2018 at 8:50 pm
RE: Atheists who announce "I'm good without god" - by Minimalist - September 29, 2018 at 12:39 am
RE: Atheists who announce "I'm good without god" - by Bob Kelso - September 28, 2018 at 8:25 pm
RE: Atheists who announce "I'm good without god" - by brewer - September 28, 2018 at 8:37 pm
RE: Atheists who announce "I'm good without god" - by Cod - September 29, 2018 at 5:32 am
RE: Atheists who announce "I'm good without god" - by Angrboda - September 29, 2018 at 12:02 pm
RE: Atheists who announce "I'm good without god" - by Cod - September 29, 2018 at 4:09 pm
RE: Atheists who announce "I'm good without god" - by Jackie - October 4, 2018 at 10:52 am
RE: Atheists who announce "I'm good without god" - by ignoramus - September 28, 2018 at 10:19 pm
RE: Atheists who announce "I'm good without god" - by robvalue - September 28, 2018 at 10:58 pm
RE: Atheists who announce "I'm good without god" - by Rahn127 - September 29, 2018 at 3:42 am
RE: Atheists who announce "I'm good without god" - by way1000 - September 29, 2018 at 9:02 am
RE: Atheists who announce "I'm good without god" - by Joods - September 29, 2018 at 9:38 am
RE: Atheists who announce "I'm good without god" - by Joods - September 29, 2018 at 9:21 am
RE: Atheists who announce "I'm good without god" - by Angrboda - September 29, 2018 at 9:36 am
RE: Atheists who announce "I'm good without god" - by no one - September 29, 2018 at 4:25 pm
RE: Atheists who announce "I'm good without god" - by Angrboda - September 29, 2018 at 5:01 pm
RE: Atheists who announce "I'm good without god" - by Belacqua - September 29, 2018 at 7:28 pm
RE: Atheists who announce "I'm good without god" - by Seraphina - September 29, 2018 at 8:25 pm
RE: Atheists who announce "I'm good without god" - by polymath257 - October 3, 2018 at 9:52 pm
RE: Atheists who announce "I'm good without god" - by Jackie - October 4, 2018 at 10:33 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Atheists, how can you say there is no God. When... Urani9 30 8446 December 12, 2024 at 11:39 am
Last Post: Gwaithmir
  Are Atheists Afraid to Join Atheists? Asmodeus 10 4328 October 26, 2024 at 9:09 am
Last Post: Asmodeus
  Dear Atheists: what would convince you God/Christ is Real? JJoseph 209 61376 June 12, 2024 at 10:54 pm
Last Post: awty
  Atheists how much do you hate God? Authari 139 40658 June 12, 2024 at 10:50 pm
Last Post: awty
  Mike Litorus owns god without any verses no one 3 1600 July 9, 2023 at 7:13 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Atheists, if God doesnt exist, then explain why Keanu Reeves looks like Jesus Christ Frakki 9 4715 April 1, 2023 at 4:07 am
Last Post: Goosebump
  Morality without God Superjock 102 27055 June 17, 2021 at 6:10 pm
Last Post: Ranjr
  scripture says we atheists believe in god android17ak47 17 7055 October 21, 2018 at 8:17 am
Last Post: Fireball
  Ok Atheists! I have God Delusion! Catholic_Lady 54 19804 April 14, 2018 at 8:04 am
Last Post: Jehanne
  I enjoy far right atheists more than lgbt marxist atheists Sopra 4 3699 February 28, 2018 at 9:09 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet



Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)