Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 15, 2024, 12:42 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Top Seven Ways Christianity is Debunked By the Sciences
RE: Top Seven Ways Christianity is Debunked By the Sciences
(September 28, 2011 at 5:08 pm)Ace Otana Wrote:
(September 28, 2011 at 5:04 pm)Thor Wrote:
(September 28, 2011 at 8:47 am)Ace Otana Wrote: Disprove the existence of Thor or Zeus. Then we'll talk.

Hey! I exist! What do I have to do to convince you people?

A 50ft naked women who wants endless oral sex. That would convert me. Tongue

Are you saying that you think that Ultimate Reality is a fiction? Why?

And why would a giantess that wants to perform fellatio on you be enough to convert you? Is there any logic to this or is it just a throw away comment?

(September 28, 2011 at 5:09 pm)Pendragon Wrote:
(September 28, 2011 at 3:13 pm)Zaki Aminu Wrote:
(September 28, 2011 at 4:06 am)Justtristo Wrote: I recently encounter this excellent blog post by John Loftus which describes the top seven ways Christianity has been debunked by the sciences. It can come in handy when you can say to people that science has disproved the bible and why.

http://debunkingchristianity.blogspot.co...unked.html

I'm not sure what definition of "God" John Loftus is using in his arguments. It certainly is not the one I find in Merriam-Webster's online dictionary:

Definition of GOD
1 capitalized : the supreme or ultimate reality:.....

If one does not respect the meanings of the words of the language it becomes very difficult - if not impossible - to communicate any meaning whatsoever with it. Presumably, Mr. Loftus is not trying to say that there is no such thing as Ultimate Reality - or is he? Ultimate Reality is what the entire enterprise of science is about seeking, is it not? So how can it be possible that science will ever be in opposition to this Ultimate Reality - God?

One can argue intelligently about the Nature of Ultimate Reality. But to claim that it does not exist at all is simply absurd. And whilst that is a view one might take on existence, absurdism has nothing whatsoever to do with science.

It would be nice if you included the rest of the dictionary's definition of God:

Definition of GOD
capitalized : the supreme or ultimate reality: as a : the Being perfect in power, wisdom, and goodness who is worshipped as creator and ruler of the universe b Christian Science : the incorporeal divine Principle ruling over all as eternal Spirit : infinite Mind
: a being or object believed to have more than natural attributes and powers and to require human worship; specifically : one controlling a particular aspect or part of reality
: a person or thing of supreme value
: a powerful ruler

I think most here do not agree with 1, or 2.

If the world was created by a " Being perfect in power, wisdom, and goodness", one would expect things to be perfect here as well. We have searched, and found it is not, and conclude God is not real,

Much as the word "unicorn", if we find they do not exist in the "supreme reality", of having searched the entire world, and also finding none in the fossil record.
It is true, the word means one horn, but is good only for myth, and fairy tales. Myth and fairy tales is where we also leave God.

If you're going to be disagreeing with the language then you have to be admit you're not interested in communicating. You can't then pretend that you're being logical.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Top Seven Ways Christianity is Debunked By the Sciences - by Zaki Aminu - September 28, 2011 at 5:11 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What does Sam Harris mean by saying that religions are failed sciences? FlatAssembler 21 1358 June 12, 2024 at 10:54 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Are god and religion ways of saying "screw you" to nature? ShinyCrystals 18 1131 January 8, 2024 at 12:27 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  [Serious] Over the top Belacqua 146 13983 August 28, 2019 at 10:35 pm
Last Post: Haipule
  Amending my Good and Kindly ways The Valkyrie 27 5222 September 12, 2017 at 7:49 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  I'm sick of hearing about the "Five Ways"! Asmodee 46 8119 January 19, 2017 at 3:27 pm
Last Post: robvalue
  Free Will -- the "materialist string" pulls both ways. Jehanne 28 6662 April 4, 2016 at 7:18 am
Last Post: Jehanne
  Top misconceptions of Theory of Evolution you had to deal with ErGingerbreadMandude 76 12976 March 7, 2016 at 6:08 pm
Last Post: Alex K
  Ways to introduce people to Atheism? Veritas 24 5156 December 24, 2015 at 1:20 am
Last Post: ErGingerbreadMandude
Information Two Years Later,Indian Skeptic Who Debunked a “Miracle” is Still in Exile in Finland MountainsWinAgain 2 1330 June 4, 2014 at 1:01 pm
Last Post: downbeatplumb
  How many ways can I fuck up my life? Gambit 11 4482 August 2, 2012 at 11:50 pm
Last Post: Gambit